Hemi Truck Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any body else’s ram sound like it’s underwater at highway speed low rpm the drone is horrible both high gear low speed and highway speed anyway to fix it 2008 1500 5.7 hemi

·
Greg
20,054 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Tell us what you are using and where the pipe exits.

·
John
4,175 Posts
:thumb::WelcomeBanner1::cowboy1_icon:
I had that problem when I replaced the stock muffler with a performance cat back system. I turned the MDS off on my truck with my SuperChips CORTEX Tuner. That was over two years ago. No more drone with all 8 cylinders running full time.
When I replace the stock camshaft and lifters, the mechanical/electrical parts of MDS will be gone too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure bought it after exhaust was put on guessing flowmasters most popular in my area usually cheapest but exits through the rear 45 degrees at corners of bumpers and big stainless slanted tips as again most common

·
Greg
20,054 Posts

·
Gold-Member
4,176 Posts
:welcome-0005a:To HTC!:thumb:

I got the drone after installing my Magnaflow Catback system as well. But I don't have MDS. Its only bad when cruising above 75MPH. Which is every trip I take. :facepalm:

I just got bigger amps and sub. That fixed the issue. Except when the wife is in the truck and wants to talk the whole trip.:banghead:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Welcome to HTC. I have a 2008 5.7 as well. I never noticed it but a buddy of mine was riding with me one day. We were coming back from Philly and were going across this steel bridge. We had the windows down and were driving next to the wall when out of no where he says, "wtf is wrong with your truck?" Come to find out it was the MDS. When I put my exhaust on it amplified it even more. Since then I have done a full delete of the MDS and that "underwater" sound has gone away. Most tuners these days allow you to turn it off.

·
Chris
2,118 Posts
Muffler selection has a lot to do with drone, and MDS makes aftermarket mufflers sound even worse. I’ve gone through 3 different muffler setups trying to find a good one

·
Greg
20,054 Posts
Magnaflow 36" long 3" in/ 2.5" dual outlet with full system and you will get compliments every time you stop.

·
Greg
20,054 Posts
I M confident you will like it.

·
Greg
20,054 Posts
Actually I can't with the truckarm suspension... I've got a modified aero 3030xl under it now and it is coming out next week for another attempt at finding the right sound. Real estate is premium under my truck...

·
Tom
301 Posts
Well been running the recommended muffler from Greg. Love it! Good sound with your foot in it. Nice and mellow cruising. Can hear the radio again. I think I want to go back to 2.25 in. off of headers to y pipe. I am at 2.5 now and feels like I have lost some low end torque. With a turbo in the future I might wait cause all that is gonna change.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Why?

This is what I ordered to replace my Borla.
I have Mag 50 now & lost both tailpipes (rust) I was considering Borla Their stainless seems to hold up better. Wondering why you switched?

Reactions: RecoilFreak

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not sure bought it after exhaust was put on guessing flowmasters most popular in my area usually cheapest but exits through the rear 45 degrees at corners of bumpers and big stainless slanted tips as again most common
Welcome to the forum. Tell us what you are using and where the pipe exits.
Sorry I forgot I even had this thread here 😅 still fighting this issue and I don't think I have the cylinder switch off

1 - 18 of 18 Posts