Hemi Truck Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 dodge ram 1500. The knob for the vent mode is loose and by feel, I can tell it does not catch any of the modes. Air comes out of the defrost and floor vents only, with residual air coming out the dash vents.

Also the temperature doesn't switch over on command and works intermittently. Right now it's stuck on cold. It seems as if it turns on to the temperature I want when it feels like it (it could take months). This past summer, it turned over to a/c 2 days into a heat wave in July now it's stuck on a/c mode when in fact, I have the temperature on hot.

Any idea what the problem /problems could be?

·
John
4,154 Posts
I have a 2008 dodge ram 1500. The knob for the vent mode is loose and by feel, I can tell it does not catch any of the modes. Air comes out of the defrost and floor vents only, with residual air coming out the dash vents.

Also the temperature doesn't switch over on command and works intermittently. Right now it's stuck on cold. It seems as if it turns on to the temperature I want when it feels like it (it could take months). This past summer, it turned over to a/c 2 days into a heat wave in July now it's stuck on a/c mode when in fact, I have the temperature on hot.

Font Rectangle Art Brand Graphics
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive tire Grille

·
Administrator
17,957 Posts
First thing I would do is remove the knobs and make sure the dial will turn and actually stop at selections and control things. If the head won’t stop or make anything move change it first then diagnose from there. The controller has to be in working order to go any further.

·
Registered
34 Posts

I agree with another reply on here, it definitely sounds like a blend door issue to me. I had almost the exact same problem on my 2005, only on mine the air would come out of the bottom only. Almost every third-gen ram will experience this issue sooner or later because the blend doors are made of cheap plastic, and the hinge pins become brittle over time and split or snap off. When that happens the actuators are still moving, but the door itself has usually flopped down and won't move any more. There's only two ways to fix this; the correct way and the hack-job, half-assed butcher way. The correct way takes a lot of preparation and planning, because you have to drop the steering column, and take the entire dash out to access the heater box, but it can be done without taking it to the dealer or a mechanic. (I did it in a parking lot with hand tools, a repair manual and my girlfriend as a helper in about 8-9 hours) The other way might get the job done, but it'll look like s**t, and you'll have to actually cut parts of the dash out in order to access the blend door, and then do a patch job with duct tape. The correct way is a little more time consuming, but you'll be able to replace all 5 blend doors at once and not have to worry about it any more. (I also replaced the heater core while I was in there and had everything apart) There's a company called Blend door USA that sells a replacement door kit for around $300, they're made from a solid piece of machined aluminum and are much stronger than the OEM doors, so you'll never have to worry about them breaking again. Sorry this was so long-winded, just trying to help. If you want to know more details or anything, feel free to DM or email me. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts