Hemi Truck Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi with 90,000 miles.
Southern truck - its never been North of Charleston SC

Coolant leaking into oil pan. Pressure tested coolanty system to 15 psi & coolant leaked into oil pan. Also did not hold pressure - it leaked down to 10 psi.

Also compression tested each cyl and readings were between 175 & 165 psi, so I am thinking not a head gasket issue.

No external leaks, coolant or oil.
Engine did overheat before this issue

Any help would be appreciated as to what issue may be

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
'05 Boosted 426 & '14 4X4
12,714 Posts
Yikes. Hope you can resolve that (whatever it is).

·
Administrator
17,872 Posts
Likely a bad gasket near a head drain port. If your drain the oil and then pressure test the cooling system and water runs out of drain plug then you will need to pull heads and investigate sadly.

·
John
4,069 Posts
2004 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi with 90,000 miles.
Southern truck - its never been North of Charleston SC

Coolant leaking into oil pan. Pressure tested coolanty system to 15 psi & coolant leaked into oil pan. Also did not hold pressure - it leaked down to 10 psi.

Also compression tested each cyl and readings were between 175 & 165 psi, so I am thinking not a head gasket issue.

No external leaks, coolant or oil.
Engine did overheat before this issue

Any help would be appreciated as to what issue may be

Thanks
Welcome-Glad-Youre-Here.jpg th.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thinking the same thing. Pulling the right head now. Started on this side as I did another compression check & had 2 low cylinders plus its a refub head. The more I think about it, its gotta be a head gasket install issue or the head itself.
Hopefully its the head gasket that is the issue. (Just priced cyl head and they went up in cost as well as availability!)
Thank you for your reply

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thinking the same thing. Pulling the right head now. Started on this side as I did another compression check & had 2 low cylinders plus its a refub head. The more I think about it, its gotta be a head gasket install issue or the head itself.
Hopefully its the head gasket that is the issue. (Just priced cyl head and they went up in cost as well as availability!)
Thank you for your reply

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally pulled cyl head on the right side. Attached is a photo of the surface that mates to the engine. This was installed as a "refubed" head by a mechanic hired to replace the right side. Minid you this engine has not run, but that head is not a refurbed head & more than likely my coolant leak?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts