Hemi Truck Club banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I neglected to mention mine is supercharged so the extra 5mm will help. I do have to agree with running stock and being a Hemi I do not doubt gains will be minimal and probably with the supercharger it will not be that great as well. BUT knowing it is there will be nice. Plus minus the tool cost it is a free mod. One more note the tb on mine is 78 to 79mm so going to 85mm will deliver more airflow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Reviving this,

Was searching for a solution to KD cable for 518 while using a DBW gas pedal.
The mod pics you posted adding the metal fab work to allow using a cable looks awesome.
Did it end up working? I know the throttle pressure pull for the transmission length can be tricky.

I'm in the middle of swapping a Gen3 Hemi in a 70 Challenger and want to keep the fully automatic 518.

Any chance you have a template or other details on what you put together?

·
Greg
20,040 Posts
The A-Body forum discussed different ways to connect the TV cable and is where I originally got my ideas for installing a 46rh/518 in my Gen3 ram. They used a 03 Ram APPS remote unit which are hard to find. The 03 uses a mechanical pedal cable to the APPS unit and then converts it to a electrical signal. The trick was to attach a Lokar cable to the 03 mechanical cable and using the new Lokar cable for the TV cable attached to trans. Note: I never got it to work to my satisfaction and after a year of fooling with it I installed a manual VB which doesn't use a TV cable and haven't looked back.

·
Greg
20,040 Posts
Pictures of 03 ram APPS..
Motor vehicle Font Hood Electronic device Auto part

Reactions: KatfIsh

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Reviving this,

Was searching for a solution to KD cable for 518 while using a DBW gas pedal.
The mod pics you posted adding the metal fab work to allow using a cable looks awesome.
Did it end up working? I know the throttle pressure pull for the transmission length can be tricky.

I'm in the middle of swapping a Gen3 Hemi in a 70 Challenger and want to keep the fully automatic 518.

Any chance you have a template or other details on what you put together?
Hey, I had abandoned the idea as the truck developed a lean condition I had a hard time troubleshooting. The issue ended being a cracked exhaust manifold. That was the second time they had cracked ( I assume due to back pressure since they were small log style manifolds?) so I ended up building a pair of headers. I did not take many pictures as I wanted to complete the project as fast as I could (a weekend). I made new headers and had to redo the downpipes, wastegates recirculation, etc) I had to MIG them using stainless wire as my TIG welder took a dump so dont judge me :LOL::LOL::LOL:
Now that the truck is back up and running right I will give the DBW throttle body idea another try.
Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive air manifold

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thx for the replies, your mod work is impressive. I want to keep the DBW pedal for the TB/engine and add a cable for the 518 KD function. I've seen some videos discussing use the 03 TPS solenoid with a cable pedal, but as you mentioned its becoming impossible to find parts. I built a controller that handles the 518 OD and LU completely automatically, so am trying to not have to go the MVB route.
Do you see any reason why your set-up wouldn't work for the simple function of pulling the KD lever on the 518?

·
Greg
20,040 Posts
It worked good, but with a heavier pedal than I liked. I used a combination of Lokar bits and pieces and motorcycle clutch cable ordered from ebay. Teflon guide that pulls very smooth. I also used a motorcycle inline cable adjuster to help with fine tuning. I used adjustable pressure switches to control OD and LU. Problem I had with those is they are triggered by speed and I had to turn them off when running up in 2nd gear or wot. Found myself manually operating it more than letting it run on its own. Finally ditched it for full MVB with OD/LU on the steering wheel. This is a very streetable setup. Use a little higher stall and you can start from lights in 2nd gear..

Reactions: KatfIsh

·
Registered
3 Posts
I need to figure out the KD for the 518 using a cable with the DBW gas pedal.

Have a really nice solution to automatically controlling the OD and LU that's been working great for the past 3 years.
Completely automatic, wanted my daughter to be able to drive it.

The 518 (46RH) is hydraulically controlled and uses 2 servos to enable the OD and LU.
The 3-pin connector on the transmission supplies the control voltages.
The center pin always has 12V power connected. The 2 outer pins are switched grounds. The front pin is the OD ground, the rear pin is the LU ground.

The module works according to the following sequence.
1) The 12V toggle switch supplies voltage to the relays and transmission center pin.
2) When the hydraulic pressure trips (50mph/adjustable) the pressure switch, ground is supplied to the vacuum switch. When speed is below 50mph, hydraulic switch opens, disabling OD.
3) When there is enough vacuum, the vacuum switch closes, providing the OD relay ground. Under heavy acceleration, vacuum drops, opens switch, OD is disabled.
4) When OD relay has ground and 12V, it waits 10sec, then supplies 12V to the LU relay and ground to the transmission OD pin, enabling OD.
5) Now the LU relay has 12V, it's already grounded. It waits the 10 sec programmable delay then provides ground to the transmission LU pin. So lock up doesn't occur until OD has been enabled and on for 10sec.
6) The programmable delays for both relays fix the situation when speed is fluctuating around 50mph. This would normally cause the OD to kick on/off, the 10 sec (programmable) delay stops this from happening.

·
Greg
20,040 Posts
That is an excellent setup. I didn't use time delays or a vacuum switch when I did my 46rh conversion almost 7 years ago.. well done..

Reactions: arocketman

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts

Have a really nice solution to automatically controlling the OD and LU that's been working great for the past 3 years.

The 518 (46RH) is hydraulically controlled and uses 2 servos to enable the OD and LU.
The center pin always has 12V power connected. The 2 outer pins are switched grounds. The front pin is the OD ground, the rear pin is the LU ground.

1) The 12V toggle switch supplies voltage to the relays and transmission center pin.
2) When the hydraulic pressure trips (50mph/adjustable) the pressure switch, ground is supplied to the vacuum switch. When speed is below 50mph, hydraulic switch opens, disabling OD.
3) When there is enough vacuum, the vacuum switch closes, providing the OD relay ground. Under heavy acceleration, vacuum drops, opens switch, OD is disabled.
4) When OD relay has ground and 12V, it waits 10sec, then supplies 12V to the LU relay and ground to the transmission OD pin, enabling OD.
5) Now the LU relay has 12V, it's already grounded. It waits the 10 sec programmable delay then provides ground to the transmission LU pin. So lock up doesn't occur until OD has been enabled and on for 10sec.
6) The programmable delays for both relays fix the situation when speed is fluctuating around 50mph. This would normally cause the OD to kick on/off, the 10 sec (programmable) delay stops this from happening.

Welcome to our Hemi Family!! (y)

·
John
4,154 Posts

White Product Font Line Magenta
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive tire Grille

41 - 51 of 51 Posts