Hemi Truck Club banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Max, your fabricating skills are excellent! Well done..
coming from you that is a high compliment, thank you!!
I was going to put more of a finished look to it, i had started smoothing the welds but then decided to stop since I am not 100% sure the idea is going to work so i decided to leave the “looks” part for after i determine that it will.

·
Greg
20,040 Posts
Thanks, I also used the Lokar cable fittings, but mounted the bulk head end on the bulk head and not on the pedal assembly. It was a challenge to get the ratio and pull length right on the application I was making (TV cable). I drilled the hole in the fire wall which isn't flat and used two heavy washers and a 6" bolt. Pulled it together tightly sandwiching the firewall between the washers stuck a pipe over the protruding bolt and straighten it to point in the direction I wanted. Fortunately the firewall is thin and bends easily.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
.... It was a challenge to get the ratio and pull length right on the application I was making (TV cable).....
That is one of the challenges. I had to eyeball the pedal travel/ratio as it was impossible for me to squeeze any measuring tool in there. There is no room. The cable does has some adjustability built in, but the main adjusting mechanism for me will be the throttle cable bracket on the TB end and the throttle pulley itself. I was able to find a throttle pulley that has 10 different mounting points which i think will be helpful in getting the ratio right (see attached pic)

Can you convert to a cable operated tb with HP Tuners?
That is i am trying to determine. I am leaving everything electrical plugged in on both the TB and the Throttle pedal, i just removed the physical connection between the electrical motor and the butterfly in the TB. The motor is still physically there, powered and all, but when it turns it wont move anything. The actuation of the butterfly will come from the cable.
The idea is to see if the PCM can be fooled into thinking that the motor in the TB is still doing its job when in fact is the cable doing the work. We will see.

Another challenge for me will be adding an idle adjusting screw, but i will figure that out once i have the throttle pulley at hand.

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Pedal is mounted and cable routed thru the firewall. Now we wait for the throttle pulley. I will update you once i make more progress. Stay tuned.

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I received the throttle pulley. It is smaller than the seller had told me it was, but i will try to make it work. Weather is not cooperating, it has been raining a lot the last few days; as soon as i get an opportunity i will fabricate a TB cable mount. Once that is done testing will begin

Attachments

·
Greg
20,040 Posts

·
Greg
20,040 Posts
The drawback I see is it's only 80mm... now if two of them were used that would open her up...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Very interesting post. I wonder if someone might be able to help me ? I have a 19 Classic w/ 5.7 . I want to take the TB apart so I can bore it to 85mm does anyone know how. I know it takes a pentagon bit but I do not know the size or if it is left or right hand thread. Thanks

·
Mark G Senior Member
03Ram Stock & 05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,048 Posts
IMO, unless you are using an aftermarket intake manifold with a bigger opening you would be wasting your money and time with anything larger than the 80mm throttle body.

·
Greg
20,040 Posts
Back in the early days I installed a fastman 84mm. IMO I couldn't tell it from the stock TB. I installed a Megasquirt ECM and a LSX 90mm. The difference was remarkable and I've use nothing smaller than a 90mm since with excellent results.

Reactions: kcd1369
21 - 40 of 51 Posts