Hemi Truck Club banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

· Super Moderator
7,169 Posts
Ok so this is an old thread, looking for information on a nice cam but not too big like the 274 maybe a 268? My goal is a badass daily with 450-500 wheel n/a. Maybe eventually supercharger but definitely far from that. Ported 6.4 manifold, cold air intake, cam, long tubes.
Welcome to our Hemi Family!! (y)

· Registered
2 Posts
What year ?( obviously 09 and later since we are talking about Phasers) Reason I ask is , 09-10s have some tuning issues because of the way the code is written, 14s are the best for tuning 11-13s are 2nd best....15+ are just as good to tune as the 14s just have to jump through a few more hoops with ECU/PCM unlocking and more Emissions crap to work around in the program.

The Comp 274(full disclosure Former Comp Cams employee) 226/[email protected] .619/.624 116LSA , Irony is when we were creating that cam(and the 270) we didn't have a 392 car to test it in, we did all our in house testing with a 5.7 Manual Challenger. Ran that car well in to the High 11s,@ 114/118MPH, remember this was still the dark days of G3 Tuning, there was a lot of in house debate going on about the the LSA, there were some who wanted to make it as low as 110, but 116 won out because 116 to 120 LSA is optimal for boost, 116 is still very tuner friendly, and doesn't give up a lot of Tq...(I know Ironic to what most people claim about the 274) when we got a 6.4 crate engine to test with , a 108LSA version of the 274 was tested we hit 600 Hp with that "test cam", but broke 5 out of 8 pistons* ( I can explain , but I don't want to side track more)
....No disrespect meant here but the issues a lot of people had with the 274 was the fact that no one understood how to tune for it, our in house dyno 5.7 mule was constantly making 525-530 HP with that cam and the old XV crappy single plane intake, once we had a drag pak to toss on it, it would clear 580 easily, throw a carb set up and a MSD Hemi -6 box and 590 HP was not out of the question.
One of the cars that we built last January/February (2009 Challenger 6M car, 3.91 rear gears) is running an all forged .030 5.7,Blue printed set of Eagle heads ported/polished but retains stock size valves, a 274 cam and Edelbrock Intake, with 6k RPM shift point runs it runs 11.20's like clock work, which correlates to roughly 490RWHP/565Flywheel on local 93oct, My son Benny did the tune... we also have a customer who runs a 362CI 5.7 VVT (VVT Block) with a 274 cam, Apache heads that have some work to them , it's 2008 RCSB Ram, and that truck has dipped in to the High tens a few times.

Comp's 268 for the VVt engines (214/[email protected] ,.510/.504 113LSA) will not get you to 450RWHP unless the heads have some exhaust work done, the main advantage to this cam is you can use your OEM Eagle Valve springs, even though it's a relatively small lift, short intake duration, with the right intake and exhaust system it can be an RPM freak, It's "advertised" operation range is listed as 1800-6500, it's really more of a 2500-7k cam, in the 6.4 it'll out rev the the OEM intake and the Edelbrock, with a Drag pak or Prefix's single plane it'll pull till the Valve springs break.

Comp Cams HRT Stage one, 218/[email protected] 571/545 114LSA , it was molded after the 6.4SRTcam, but has many advantages that the 6.4 cam is lacking, mostly duration and the Comp cam is 114 LSA vs 121 of the OEM cam.
It's good for 430ish HP in the 5.7 , it can get you to where you want, but lots of supporting Mods

Comp Cams HRT stage1 Turbo Cam......stay with me here, is actually one of the better NA cams on the market right now, 221/[email protected] .050 , .594/.594 Lift and 116 LSA , it'll get you 450-480Hp depending on supporting Mods, but here again it's better suited for an 8sp Trans because it's going to need 3k or High stall. Why is it a Good NA cam....The Eagle heads biggest obstacle is the Exhaust Valve of 1.57 , the Eagle head Needs 1.60 -1.625 to make BIG HP #s the port it's self is a great design.

Comp Cams 266 , odd cam, 218/226 @.050 .612/.605 it'll make close to 500RWHP , but really needs to breathe

MMX , I guess they call this cam the NA lope now, it's 214/224 @.050 and .591/.581 , it'll clear 400RWHP with a good tune and nothing else ,it's the only MMX cam I'll recommend ,because MMX doesn't print specs for a lot of their cams, so If I don't know what it is , then how can I recommend it.

I'm Not a Texas Speed guy at all, but they have some good VVT cams, and we've had some good results.

Their stage 1 cam is 214/222 @.050 .582/.582 and 115LSA, TSP claims 460/470HP/450/460Tq, which RWHP is just over 420 , most tuners will hit that HP # , some of the better ones should get you close to 430....and obviously the more work in to the Long block the better the results.
TSP Stage 2 NA cam is 218/[email protected] .582/582 115 LSA , they claim it's a 480hp/460TQ , this cam will get you within your goal, and the better the tune and supporting mods you can clear 440 RWHP.
TSP Stage 3 NA cam, 223/[email protected] .050 .582/.582 116LSA , they claim 490Hp 460TQ, Personally I've seen this cam hit 525hp/535Tq on a dyno test , downside side is it needs a HIGH stall speed convertor to work, and is better suited for an 8sp trans, the RFE65 will, 1) not last AT ALL,2) because this cam really needs a 3k or Higher stall, the RFE65 is very limited in convertor choice in that stall range.
Stage 4 and their Chop monster.....STAY AWAY , there not bad cams, they are just out of range of what you are asking for..and yes if you are wondering they both have .582/.582 lift.

Cam Motion....they are all too big for what you want.

Once you get over 220/[email protected] .050 a 3k converter is necessary, because of the way the ECU/PCM works.

Did some editing this morning for grammar
[/QUOT
So would you say a comp cam 274 is to big for a 15 durango rt? I had one installed a couple weeks ago, had a few tuning issues so far, but wondering if a torque converter would help a lot or not. I'm trying to still keep this a DD.

· Registered
2004 GTX
109 Posts
Torque convertor would help a LOT , it'll help the engine get up in to the "new useable" RPM band.

I've seen a lot of 274 Daily drivers but a lot of those people are more "aggressive" in their DD ,

I do think there are better cams out there for the more DD then "Racecar".

For a DD type in that heavy of a vehicle , the Sniper Intakes, are a NO,NO .stick with the OEM intake....I know that wasn't your question but it's the next step for a lot of people after Headers and exhaust system.

with the 274 you will notice a difference when you load that Durango down with Kids,Wife and Inlaws, it'll be sluggish you will notice the loss of off idle Tq .

· Registered
2 Posts
Torque convertor would help a LOT , it'll help the engine get up in to the "new useable" RPM band.

I've seen a lot of 274 Daily drivers but a lot of those people are more "aggressive" in their DD ,

I do think there are better cams out there for the more DD then "Racecar".

For a DD type in that heavy of a vehicle , the Sniper Intakes, are a NO,NO .stick with the OEM intake....I know that wasn't your question but it's the next step for a lot of people after Headers and exhaust system.

with the 274 you will notice a difference when you load that Durango down with Kids,Wife and Inlaws, it'll be sluggish you will notice the loss of off idle Tq .
Ya I have the 392 intake with 274 cam, and 1 7/8” headers, definitely wouldn’t go with a 274 again… if I wanted to race and stay up rpm’s sure, but not for a DD… not to mention how difficult it is to tune

41 - 46 of 46 Posts