Hemi Truck Club banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO has anyone installed them in your trucks or Jeeps, or Durangos? If so what did it dyno at?

I see the challenger R/T made near 450whp, and other forums have about the same or more in the cars, how about the trucks and SUV's?

· Greg
20,332 Posts
What's a phaser?

· Registered
386 Posts
The 274 is WAY too big for a 5.7. You wont find much in the way of dyno numbers on the cammed VVT trucks, but the fastest trucks are running cams much smaller than that.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What makes it too big? If you have valve springs to handle the higher lift, and added duration why is it too big?

Our stock heads flow a good bit, and make decent power on very mild sticks. You would think, in theory, it would make great power.

· Registered
386 Posts
What makes it too big? If you have valve springs to handle the higher lift, and added duration why is it too big?

Our stock heads flow a good bit, and make decent power on very mild sticks. You would think, in theory, it would make great power.
It's the rpm range of the cam. You would need no less than 4.56 gears, 4000 stall Tq converter, and 7000rpm shift points to use a cam that size.

· Tyler
566 Posts
It's the rpm range of the cam. You would need no less than 4.56 gears, 4000 stall Tq converter, and 7000rpm shift points to use a cam that size.
I agree. I ran the Comp 268 on my old 5.7L with 4.56 gears and a 2500 stall. It performed well with that setup. I have never heard of someone running the 274 in a truck.

· Registered
107 Posts
Cam is designed for the 6.4 Apache with its 392 cubic inch motor and 70% head IE flow ratio. Even then it is the largest cam offered from Comp for the 6.4

Putting it in a 5.7 is ridiculous regardless of the setup...

Numbers posted from HHP are squewed, or rigged for a better word of it. Low end loss is tremendous and so is the power band.

Stock Hemi truck cam is 195/212 with a 17 degree split for the flow ratio of our heads. You will notice my non high lift cams are 18 degree splits to work well with the 55% flow ratio of the heads. When the heads are ported they change flow ratios into the mid/low 6x% range and why my HL kits come with a 12 degree spit. As well as higher lift to make use of the added flow.

Stock 6.4 cam is a 215/221 which is a 6 degree split and why Comp uses a 8 degree split for there grinds.

If you want to talk to me just let me know.

Jay

Greene Racing

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am coming from the LS world, which people put in bigger cams into ls1's with great success.

The worlds too big, and loss in low end were very common, untill peoplse started making 430-460whp on stock 243 heads, and ran mid 11's with them.

So im curious at to what the major difference is between the new hemi's and other engines are.

You would think if you have the valve lift, duration, and proper springs to accommodate the added intensity, along with good head flow it should make power. I just dont understand yet why we dont run larger cams in our engines.

· Enormous Member
1,161 Posts

Attachments

· Greg
20,332 Posts
Hmmm do you need a permit to carry that?

· Greg
20,332 Posts
The title of my post is wrong big deal, but still no one has any concrete information?
seems like a majority of people on here don't know anything, and the few that do don't even post anything.
Sorry you feel that way, when you are older you might appreciate help when given.... or maybe not. good luck..

· Administrator
18,195 Posts
Simply put a 274 is too big for a standard engine. That cam is more for a higher flowing ported engine and a lot higher rpm range to get any real benefit from it. It will sound awesome but will suck down low.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have yet to get one good piece of advice. especially from you my friend ;) does anyone on here build anything for themselves, or are all the true mechanics, and builders on the lxforums. This just seems like parade of guys talking about how cool they are, and how things work, or wont work without any factual evidence or trials.

Peace out ladies!

· Administrator
18,195 Posts
For you info I am an ASE master technician and have more knowledge than you think available to share. I told you what that cam is best for big High rpm engines. In the hemi world bigger is not better like the government motors cars and trucks. If you want help we will give it to you but with that cam unless your turning 7500 with a built engine it's a paper weight. The vvt is variable valve timing which is good for a part throttle power curve and some better gas mileage. Basically a 268 or smaller for a stock engine 274 equivalent and bigger big bad motor.

· Enormous Member
1,161 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts