Hemi Truck Club banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
I didn't realize how long they were until one day I was at the shop working on Red and one pulled in, I finished what I was doing and turned around and it was still pulling in. ;)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hi All,
Yeah i think the headlights and the taillights are in two different time zones. Weather is cruddy may have to wait until tomorrow to do the pics.

Have a great day,

preachp

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
I didn't realize how long they were until one day I was at the shop working on Red and one pulled in, I finished what I was doing and turned around and it was still pulling in. ;)
--------------------------------

:lol: :thumb:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hi All,
Well Coal Train is in the yard and after much trials and tribulations the steering gear is loose and the pitman arm is off. Redhead steering box will be going in this week and Bosch reman. injectors , this weekend. Then it is off to the dealer for all the safety recalls that are still out om this thing. then fluids and filters, then the cosmetics can begin. Finally got a couple of pics so here they are as she came into the stable.

Have a great day,

preachp

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
That's a sweet ride. She'll clean up great. I don't drive mine much but its fun when I do. Enjoy!

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
Lookin' Good :thumb: White is my favorite :dance:.

:coolsmiley:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hi All,

Thank you all for the compliments. I fought with that stinkin' pitman arm for TWO DAYS before I finally got it off. But hey it will e worth it once I get it road worthy again. I can get by without changing the injectors but I am going to do it anyway because I want this thing running right. The hoses to the pump from the gear and to the hydroboost for the brakes are getting changed out also because the nuts were pretty much stuck on the pipes and I really don't want to have to take that steering off again.

Thanks again,

preachp

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hi All,
Well steering gear (Redhead) is in and Bosch injectors are in. No more starter fluid needed to start her up. Engine and tranny both feel great. Front-end still needs some work but Dodge still has to do the 6 outstanding safety recalls so I will have them check the tie-rod ends when they do that and it ought ot fix the last niggles with the front end. Right now the thing runs strong and has makes itself known to those that are around it.
The truck is really sweet and I am getting the exterior next. I compare it to my 2013 1500 Hemi as the hemi when you steep on it says how fast, The Cummins says it doesn't matter how fast bu they best not in the way when I get there. Two completely different trucks and two completely different attitudes.
Diesel Auto Power did a wonderful job setting me up with the steering gear and the injectors. Engineered Diesel set me up with the fuel connector tubes and Pure Diesel Power had the connector tube retainer caps after I dropped one in the black hole that seems to exist in my engine compartment.

Have a great day,

preachp

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
Glad to here it's coming together. Smokers are great fun...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Hi Redtruck,
Yep completely different animal than the 1500 Hemi. Both beasts but in two totally different ways.

preachp

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thanks Newfiebullet, it is somewhat like driving a big bus. Pretty cool really.

Have a great day,

preachp

·
Matt
2,658 Posts
Hi All,
Well steering gear (Redhead) is in and Bosch injectors are in. No more starter fluid needed to start her up. Engine and tranny both feel great. Front-end still needs some work but Dodge still has to do the 6 outstanding safety recalls so I will have them check the tie-rod ends when they do that and it ought ot fix the last niggles with the front end. Right now the thing runs strong and has makes itself known to those that are around it.
The truck is really sweet and I am getting the exterior next. I compare it to my 2013 1500 Hemi as the hemi when you steep on it says how fast, The Cummins says it doesn't matter how fast bu they best not in the way when I get there. Two completely different trucks and two completely different attitudes.
Diesel Auto Power did a wonderful job setting me up with the steering gear and the injectors. Engineered Diesel set me up with the fuel connector tubes and Pure Diesel Power had the connector tube retainer caps after I dropped one in the black hole that seems to exist in my engine compartment.

Have a great day,

preachp
Glad I'm not the only one that has a truck with a black hole/worm hole/portal in the engine bay. The most helpless feeling in the world is dropping something in the engine bay and not hearing it hit the ground....:facepalm:

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
What transmission does it have? It's going to be a really nice truck. I use to hate driving any thing other than Red, but now it doesn't bother me at all to climb into the diesel.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Hi Manual Puller, yeah I know it falls and you sit there waiting to hear it thump on the ground and instead you get that deafening silence, then comes the "OH NO!"

Hi REdturck it is a 47RE but it is solid. It shifts kind of funky compared to the six speed in the 1500 but it definitely does not slip.

Next I need to re-torque everything then it goes in for six safety recalls including the steering linkage. It does run nice but I have to get used to all the strange noises it makes. But hey it is a diesel and it sounds like a diesel.

Have a great day all,,

preachp

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
Do a little research and you will find you can adjust the shift to pretty much anything you want. The trans is primitive compared to the 545 as it doesn't modulate any of its signals and you can make it tight if you want. Which is my preference. I have a 46rh in Red and it's great. The only problem I see with the diesels is it is so easy to make big power that if you are not careful you will break stock transmissions and clutches. So upgrades are a must to have and everything is pricey. My new clutch will be in the $1400 range and about another $500 to install. Ouch...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Hi Redtruck,

No tuner on it right now. Maybe in the near future but I like the way the truck goes, so it is up in the air right now. Is there another way to set the shift points?

Thanks,

preachp

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
Hi Redtruck,

No tuner on it right now. Maybe in the near future but I like the way the truck goes, so it is up in the air right now. Is there another way to set the shift points?

Thanks,

preachp
If it is anything like the hydraulic controlled version and still uses a throttle valve cable it is adjustable to a degree using different cable adjustments. And for greater control there is a pressure adjustment inside the pan. There is lots of information on the internet. Search throttle valve adjustments and several will walk you through the steps.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Hi Redtruck, Manual Puller and All,

I was actually kinda underwhelmed with this truck after I did the injectors on it. So me being me, I couldn't just leave it at that I felt like it ought to have a lot more than it did. I know its a diesel and they don't turn like a gas motor. But I was honestly underwhelmed. So I got to looking at stuff and I decided maybe I ought to look at the filter that was inside of that Banks air inlet. Well lo and behold it was filthy and I mean filthy. I took it out de-greased it cleaned it washed it and then dried it. I re-oiled it and deliberately over oiled it. Then I let it dry out and cleaned the excess oil off. Put the thing back on and started it back up. Took it out for a little ride and didn't really notice a whole lot of difference right away. So I went to Advance Auto and bought some clearance light bulbs since I have 4 that are out. Since I replaced the cracked grill surround I figured might as well get the clearance light right too.
So anyway I came out and there was an S-10 sleeping at the light so I beeped at him and he took off like he was at Daytona so I figured what the hey might as well blow all that extra air filter oil out. I hit the gas and that sucker pegged me back into the seat.! I could not believe the difference in that truck. It is like someone put a new motor in that thing! I am now duly impressed. That 8000 lb beast can tear it up and I mean it now goes like stink! If I hadn't been the one that did all the work on the Coal Train I would never have believed that a truck this size with a 250 hp diesel could go like this thing did tonight! I am impressed and now I know why these Cummins are so popular.

Have a great day,

preachp

21 - 40 of 48 Posts