Hemi Truck Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my third Ram truck about a week and a half ago. NO, I just have one left - long story about that!

As you can see from the pic, it's RAM's Bright Silver Metallic although it does appear to be more white than silver. Upon closer inspection you can really see the silver pearl in the paint.

This is the Laramie. The first two were the outdoorsman. One Black - one Cherry Red - made dealer buy both of them back and grabbed the Laramie. Just filed a formal complaint with the National Traffic Safety Board - but that's for another Post later on.

Anyway,it would be greatly appreciated if I can get some feed-back from the forum members pertaining to adding chrome to this newest one. Want to put a chrome bug guard on it, chrome window sills, chrome pillar covers, chrome gas cap cover, chrome floor sill covers with RAM on them. Have the chrome nerf bars ready to go. It came with chrome door handle covers and chrome mirrors.

I'm going to either paint or powder coat the brake calipers red along with the two skid plates and the sway bar.

Do U think with all that chrome, it would be overkill or not? I gave a lot of thought to tossing in some smoke colored items but they really "stood" out like a sore thumb. I gave it it's first "hand" detail. However, before I start adding the exterior AND interior mods, the exterior waxing is going to be stripped, put a sealant on first then two more products using the PC buffer. My hopes is it will indeed be an eye catcher. I just ordered most of the chrome stuff today with the understanding that I could return it if I didn't like it. So what would be your views on this?? OH, I also ordered the rocker panel covers - the stuff that is totally clear and thin as can be. Comes in a kit and will have that professsionally installed.

Even though I want to put all this chrome on, I am taking the DODGE 1500 emblems off both sides, the 4x4 off the tailgate. Want to take the one Rams head off of the tail gate but does anybody know if it is bolted on or glued. If bolted, it stays. I know how to remove emblems using the fishing line way but I've had better luck using either a heat gun on the lowest setting or a hair dryer. I heat them up, have a very small puddy knife with a thin but strong piece of cloth on the end of it. I slowly push that in until I just barely break the glue loose. Then I fold the cloth in half, making it stronger so the puddy knife won't cut through it and again, just slowly push inwards until I can get one finger and my thumb on it and then slowly pull it off. Done that to all of my motorcycles.

Also, any feed-back on mud flaps? I absolutely hate them and always have, always will. But here in Oregon, its either put them on or be prepared to clean gobs of mud off every time I drive it when it snows or rains. Go with stainless steel, chrome, solid black, etc????? As I said, I do have the rocker panel stuff that will go on but without the flaps, water is sprayed clean up to the drivers window.

Then, and hope I'm not asking to much from anybody, but I want to install interior LED lights on the head liner and then under the dash so they shine on the front floor and also under the drivers/passengers seats so they will shine in the back seat. Will also be adding them so two will shine on the lic. plate and right above that, the long piece where they will shine while hitting the brakes or either left or right turn signals. With the truck being this silver - white?? color with all black leather, I'm leaning towards either red or blue lights. Will also be instaling LED's on the underside of the truck. Thoughts on colors.

Then, I am wanting to install a cold air intake but don't know which brand name would be the best. On my Harley I've always used the K&N's. Looking at the engine on this truck, there are more darn lines running in all different directions on the side where I need to install this unit. Anybody put one on and if so, any major things I should be looking at?

I'm currently running with 20" tires/rims but want to increase the size of those but not to much and also going to put a 2 or 3" lift kit on it. The rims are OEM "plastic" covering the regular OEM ones. I have 4 brand new rims that I bought for the first truck which was black. They are black and chrome. Don't look to bad alongside the truck although I have not mounted them. Have my eyes on some pretty heavy duty, expensive solid chrome rims which to me, are very unique. So again, not sure if I buy them or go with the chrome/black ones?

After I get through with all of the above I'm going to chip it and sit back and figure out what else I can do to it. I bought the seven year warranty but don't give a rip about it (well not to much) because if the onboard computer doesn't pick any problems up if I should happen to have some, I can always put the OEM gunk back on.

Just one more thing. On different forums, a guy could add more than one picture along with his post. I can only find a place on here to add "one." Is this the norm or if not, how can more be added while in one post.

Many many TKS for just reading this rambling mess let alone hoping somebody might steer me in the right direction/s. First time for me to ever mod a truck. Always been into Harley motorcycles and have my 2005 Softail Heritage Classic with $5,000 on chrome accessories. I can see I will far far surpass that amount once I get started on this truck.

What brand names of detailing products do most of you use? I got hooked to the tune of $5,867.00 with Adams products. The Flex and PC buffers and if he sells it, I have it. BUT I'm always opened to new and better ideas especially when it comes to keeping my rides totally/thoroughly detailed - exterior and interior.

Again, Many TKS!

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just got my third Ram truck about a week and a half ago. NO, I just have one left - long story about that!

As you can see from the pic, it's RAM's Bright Silver Metallic although it does appear to be more white than silver. Upon closer inspection you can really see the silver pearl in the paint.

This is the Laramie. The first two were the outdoorsman. One Black - one Cherry Red - made dealer buy both of them back and grabbed the Laramie. Just filed a formal complaint with the National Traffic Safety Board - but that's for another Post later on.

Anyway,it would be greatly appreciated if I can get some feed-back from the forum members pertaining to adding chrome to this newest one. Want to put a chrome bug guard on it, chrome window sills, chrome pillar covers, chrome gas cap cover, chrome floor sill covers with RAM on them. Have the chrome nerf bars ready to go. It came with chrome door handle covers and chrome mirrors.

I'm going to either paint or powder coat the brake calipers red along with the two skid plates and the sway bar.

Do U think with all that chrome, it would be overkill or not? I gave a lot of thought to tossing in some smoke colored items but they really "stood" out like a sore thumb. I gave it it's first "hand" detail. However, before I start adding the exterior AND interior mods, the exterior waxing is going to be stripped, put a sealant on first then two more products using the PC buffer. My hopes is it will indeed be an eye catcher. I just ordered most of the chrome stuff today with the understanding that I could return it if I didn't like it. So what would be your views on this?? OH, I also ordered the rocker panel covers - the stuff that is totally clear and thin as can be. Comes in a kit and will have that professsionally installed.

Even though I want to put all this chrome on, I am taking the DODGE 1500 emblems off both sides, the 4x4 off the tailgate. Want to take the one Rams head off of the tail gate but does anybody know if it is bolted on or glued. If bolted, it stays. I know how to remove emblems using the fishing line way but I've had better luck using either a heat gun on the lowest setting or a hair dryer. I heat them up, have a very small puddy knife with a thin but strong piece of cloth on the end of it. I slowly push that in until I just barely break the glue loose. Then I fold the cloth in half, making it stronger so the puddy knife won't cut through it and again, just slowly push inwards until I can get one finger and my thumb on it and then slowly pull it off. Done that to all of my motorcycles.

Also, any feed-back on mud flaps? I absolutely hate them and always have, always will. But here in Oregon, its either put them on or be prepared to clean gobs of mud off every time I drive it when it snows or rains. Go with stainless steel, chrome, solid black, etc????? As I said, I do have the rocker panel stuff that will go on but without the flaps, water is sprayed clean up to the drivers window.

Then, and hope I'm not asking to much from anybody, but I want to install interior LED lights on the head liner and then under the dash so they shine on the front floor and also under the drivers/passengers seats so they will shine in the back seat. Will also be adding them so two will shine on the lic. plate and right above that, the long piece where they will shine while hitting the brakes or either left or right turn signals. With the truck being this silver - white?? color with all black leather, I'm leaning towards either red or blue lights. Will also be instaling LED's on the underside of the truck. Thoughts on colors.

Then, I am wanting to install a cold air intake but don't know which brand name would be the best. On my Harley I've always used the K&N's. Looking at the engine on this truck, there are more darn lines running in all different directions on the side where I need to install this unit. Anybody put one on and if so, any major things I should be looking at?

I'm currently running with 20" tires/rims but want to increase the size of those but not to much and also going to put a 2 or 3" lift kit on it. The rims are OEM "plastic" covering the regular OEM ones. I have 4 brand new rims that I bought for the first truck which was black. They are black and chrome. Don't look to bad alongside the truck although I have not mounted them. Have my eyes on some pretty heavy duty, expensive solid chrome rims which to me, are very unique. So again, not sure if I buy them or go with the chrome/black ones?

After I get through with all of the above I'm going to chip it and sit back and figure out what else I can do to it. I bought the seven year warranty but don't give a rip about it (well not to much) because if the onboard computer doesn't pick any problems up if I should happen to have some, I can always put the OEM gunk back on.

Just one more thing. On different forums, a guy could add more than one picture along with his post. I can only find a place on here to add "one." Is this the norm or if not, how can more be added while in one post.

Many many TKS for just reading this rambling mess let alone hoping somebody might steer me in the right direction/s. First time for me to ever mod a truck. Always been into Harley motorcycles and have my 2005 Softail Heritage Classic with $5,000 on chrome accessories. I can see I will far far surpass that amount once I get started on this truck.

What brand names of detailing products do most of you use? I got hooked to the tune of $5,867.00 with Adams products. The Flex and PC buffers and if he sells it, I have it. BUT I'm always opened to new and better ideas especially when it comes to keeping my rides totally/thoroughly detailed - exterior and interior.

Again, Many TKS!

·
Retired BOD - Doug
39,640 Posts
Wow! Lots to try to get answered. First: Some folks don't like any chrome at all. I do!

Bug shields are functional but I don't care for the look. If you look close at the tailgate RAM you'll see that it is inset into a depression. Just removing it wont leave you with the smooth look your wanting. I considered removing mine and having the depression painted with something like a blue/pearl. It is bolted on BTW. Did that on my 04 and it doesn't show up much unless the light is right. Decided it wasn't worth the cost. Several of us have used the chrome window trim and liked the look. Check out my Car Domain link to see some of the things I've done. Need to update it a lot.

I couldn't handle the mud flaps....lots of trips to the car wash for me. They ruin the look.
I use fishing line and Goo-Gone to de-badge.
LED's under the dash are great... I use "Cluster" and "Step" lights from Owllighting.com. Blue is my choice for lighting. Had 44 blue LED's under the hood on both my 04 and 08. Also under the dash on both. Had LED
's under the body of the 04 but they aren't as good as neon if that's the look you want. Check out cruel's night picture with neon's. I wouldn't put any on the headliner. You don't want to much light and the reflection on the windows at night will drive you nuts. The little light in the overhead that shines down on my console drives me crazy....if you have a console you know what I'm talking about.
CAI's..??? I don't know of anyone that has installed one on the newer trucks. The intake seems to be engineered to supply an adequate amount of air....so far.
Someone else will have to tell you about lifts... Not my thing.
Pictures....If you have a PhotoBucket account you can just link your pictures and have more than one post at a time. We also have a Photo Section that lets you post some pictures.

I suggest you look through some of the threads pertaining to the different things you've ask. There are pictures of just about everything you've ask.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,314 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by ROLLING THUNDER:
W O W

You are going to be a busy boy.

Yea I realize that - "However" I have the blessings of my wife just as long as I promise to STAY out in my shop.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by "RANCHER":
Wow! Lots to try to get answered. First: Some folks don't like any chrome at all. I do!

Bug shields are functional but I don't care for the look. If you look close at the tailgate RAM you'll see that it is inset into a depression. Just removing it wont leave you with the smooth look your wanting. I considered removing mine and having the depression painted with something like a blue/pearl. It is bolted on BTW. Did that on my 04 and it doesn't show up much unless the light is right. Decided it wasn't worth the cost. Several of us have used the chrome window trim and liked the look. Check out my Car Domain link to see some of the things I've done. Need to update it a lot.

I couldn't handle the mud flaps....lots of trips to the car wash for me. They ruin the look.
I use fishing line and Goo-Gone to de-badge.
LED's under the dash are great... I use "Cluster" and "Step" lights from Owllighting.com. Blue is my choice for lighting. Had 44 blue LED's under the hood on both my 04 and 08. Also under the dash on both. Had LED
's under the body of the 04 but they aren't as good as neon if that's the look you want. Check out cruel's night picture with neon's. I wouldn't put any on the headliner. You don't want to much light and the reflection on the windows at night will drive you nuts. The little light in the overhead that shines down on my console drives me crazy....if you have a console you know what I'm talking about.
CAI's..??? I don't know of anyone that has installed one on the newer trucks. The intake seems to be engineered to supply an adequate amount of air....so far.
Someone else will have to tell you about lifts... Not my thing.
Pictures....If you have a PhotoBucket account you can just link your pictures and have more than one post at a time. We also have a Photo Section that lets you post some pictures.

I suggest you look through some of the threads pertaining to the different things you've ask. There are pictures of just about everything you've ask.
Hey Doug: Apologize for not getting back on the forum sooner. Still fighting with the Dodge dealership. I realize I asked a lot of questions and I appreciate the answers and the info. I have checked out the link to the LED lighting, etc. Yep, I'm leaving the tailgate RAM alone. Not worth taking it off. Still looking for chrome M/Flaps even though I really don't like the looks of any flaps. I ordered a ton of chrome for around the windows, bug deflector, door posts, gas cover, etc. Just finished giving it a thorough detail and now it's raining.

Again, many TKS!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by motorscooter:
TKS for the "Welcome" Bob. Ya know when I "first" found this forum, YOUR truck was the very first one that popped up for me to look at - AND I'm still looking at it. Love everything about it. Maybe with time, my "silver Fox" might?? look as good as yours - Nah, no way. :&gt

·
David
2,232 Posts
Not keen on the chrome. Once I get new wheels the only chrome will be the ram on the grill. But each to their own. Thats what makes all our trucks different.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts