Hemi Truck Club banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

Greg
Reactions: Ghost03hemi

Registered
2008 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 for now....
Hi. Great Job. just wanted some clarification, which power steering reservoir did you use? Ram, magnum, or LX?
And to be clear, when you say LX... thats a Lexus?

Registered
Hi. Great Job. just wanted some clarification, which power steering reservoir did you use? Ram, magnum, or LX?
And to be clear, when you say LX... thats a Lexus?
LX = 2005-2008 Charger with a 5.7 & 6.1 , 06 -08 Magnum both 5.7 & 6.1 , 05-08 300 5.7 &6.1, the SRT6.1 was used up to 2011 and still used this timing cover , the 5.7 used a different timing cover from 2009 +.

reservoir is the Magnum(LX body)

"LX" was Daimler/Chrysler(DCX)'s code for the passenger car platform.

Registered
LX = 2005-2008 Charger with a 5.7 & 6.1 , 06 -08 Magnum both 5.7 & 6.1 , 05-08 300 5.7 &6.1, the SRT6.1 was used up to 2011 and still used this timing cover , the 5.7 used a different timing cover from 2009 +.

reservoir is the Magnum(LX body)

"LX" was Daimler/Chrysler(DCX)'s code for the passenger car platform.
Thanks so much.

I am just starting my 2008 ram rebuild. got the hemi ticking started on my lifters... misfiring...
so lifters and camshaft..... might as well do a performance cam, springs....
well might as well port and polish the heads....
well it doesnt make sense doing 4000$ on the top end when the bottom end is 13 years old...
screw it. start from scratch.

got a running engine from junkyard and tore it apart....
damn thing was PERFECT... still see the crosshatching in the bores, camshaft is perfect... LOL.
in peices now... still running the ticking engine till the new one is ready.

392-397 stroker
port and polish 08 stock truck heads
long tube headers
and now thanks to you I know how to get more air IN the engine....
thinking the holley hi-ram intake. victor ii is nice too.

Red Trucker
yeah... about that... was going to do some work on the torque converter.... but... open to suggestions, please
4x4....
That won't really help you, pretty much once you get too far past stock eagle hemi power (400hp) you're on borrowed time. Absolutely no full throttle downshifts from overdrive; slip it into 2nd or turn OD off. It'll last longer. I'm on my 4th RFE now and that's quite enough. I'm gathering parts for an 8HP70 swap.

Registered
That won't really help you, pretty much once you get too far past stock eagle hemi power (400hp) you're on borrowed time. Absolutely no full throttle downshifts from overdrive; slip it into 2nd or turn OD off. It'll last longer. I'm on my 4th RFE now and that's quite enough. I'm gathering parts for an 8HP70 swap.
Well... I did like the idea of the center console w/ T-shifter mod for the 8 speed.
now i have a reason to do it.

"I read in a forum somewhere" its a pretty simple swap in the 4x4 models. someone said easy in 4wd, just need a way to up/downshift electronically, easiest to get the t shifter from a 4th gen.

edit: here it is 8 spd swap thats where i saw you before... i have questions for you!!

Registered
Well... I did like the idea of the center console w/ T-shifter mod for the 8 speed.
now i have a reason to do it.

"I read in a forum somewhere" its a pretty simple swap in the 4x4 models. someone said easy in 4wd, just need a way to up/downshift electronically, easiest to get the t shifter from a 4th gen.

edit: here it is 8 spd swap thats where i saw you before... i have questions for you!!
As much as I DISPISE/Loathe, (I have more faith in the 42RH trans) the 545 trans, I'm a little more optimistic then Lonestar on it's power level, I've found it to be more in the 550hp range with 4x2s , high 400s with 4x4s and BIG tires when you you 4x4 guys go BIG on the tires and leave stock gearing(3.55) to 3.92/4.10 you putt a lot of stress on that poor POS, the latter"RFE65" has better torque management algorithms to help deal with the stress, but still no where near the 8sp or the RH46...
TRusselo since your truck is an 08 there's more that can be done in the tune to help elevate some of the stress which buys you some more Hp , about 550 stock,600 with serious trans mods after that it's a NO go.....In goes almost anything other then a 545.
Tow/haul and a good convertor are your best friends, also NO OD KICK down....I know it's hard but let Joe Cool in his tundra pull on you @ 55/65 on the Highway not worth the trany replacement to give him the beat down.

SIDE NOTE... not to defend the POS trans, there are some "power" band aids that'll get it to 550/600hp level if you are willing. to spend the same money on saving the POS vs swapping something else.

Been working with one of the maintenance guys @ current job who has an 07 4x2 Ram . 362CI G3 with a procharger we were up to 665RWHP with the 545trans and a LOT of Sonex parts, the truck had 70 runs on it and almost 12kmiles on this trans......but he's also got close to 5k in to that trans , the last one which was identical to this trans blew in 3 weeks the difference is what we manage to do in the tune..........Now for the change in Directions , we are putting a built 66RFE in it, and since we are using HPtuners we are going to change the tune in the truck to use the 66RFE

EDIT: I had Nag1 on the brain when I 1st wrote this , it's a 66RFE not a Nag1 that we are swapping to in Aug

Registered
As much as I DISPISE/Loathe, (I have more faith in the 42RH trans) the 545 trans, I'm a little more optimistic then Lonestar on it's power level, I've found it to be more in the 550hp range with 4x2s , high 400s with 4x4s and BIG tires when you you 4x4 guys go BIG on the tires and leave stock gearing(3.55) to 3.92/4.10 you putt a lot of stress on that poor POS, the latter"RFE65" has better torque management algorithms to help deal with the stress, but still no where near the 8sp or the RH46...
TRusselo since your truck is an 08 there's more that can be done in the tune to help elevate some of the stress which buys you some more Hp , about 550 stock,600 with serious trans mods after that it's a NO go.....In goes almost anything other then a 545.
Tow/haul and a good convertor are your best friends, also NO OD KICK down....I know it's hard but let Joe Cool in his tundra pull on you @ 55/65 on the Highway not worth the trany replacement to give him the beat down.

SIDE NOTE... not to defend the POS trans, there are some "power" band aids that'll get it to 550/600hp level if you are willing. to spend the same money on saving the POS vs swapping something else.

Been working with one of the maintenance guys @ current job who has an 07 4x2 Ram . 362CI G3 with a procharger we were up to 665RWHP with the 545trans and a LOT of Sonex parts, the truck had 70 runs on it and almost 12kmiles on this trans......but he's also got close to 5k in to that trans , the last one which was identical to this trans blew in 3 weeks the difference is what we manage to do in the tune..........Now for the change in Directions , we are putting a built 66RFE in it, and since we are using HPtuners we are going to change the tune in the truck to use the 66RFE

EDIT: I had Nag1 on the brain when I 1st wrote this , it's a 66RFE not a Nag1 that we are swapping to in Aug
thanks... gonna need some time to google half the things you said. but it points me in a proper direction. my buddy doing the work can explain the rest. lol. thanks again.

And I dont plan on going to the track... though never had a vehicle worth taking there. its all about the a-hole in a tundra pulling up on me i guess.... so beware. be careful. gotcha...

previous owner used to haul 2 skidsteers with the truck too... I've had the truck 4 years now, only had 1 major thing go wrong up until my recent lifter issue. that 1 thing was the trans. solenoid pack in 2018. dealership

21 - 36 of 36 Posts