Hemi Truck Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I posted this on the Challenger forum, but they don't seem to be nearly as vocal or open opinionated as we do here which is a bummer from my standpoint. So I will just copy/paste it here and see what you guys think. Plus the head count here is way higher, so that should help.....;)

As posted on Challenger forum...
Okay, so I am a long time dreamer of an SRT8. Going to be my hobby car not soon enough, but I am always torn between the 6.1 and the 6.4. Before I start, please understand I do not intend this to be a debate over which is better and badder, etc. I know that both these are badass engines but want to narrow down the pros/cons of each with performance mods, etc. to make my decision easier.

I have always been a 6.1 fan due to the fact that they are non MDS motors. MDS just turns me off to some degree as I am not into the "fluff" of mpg savings gadgetry and the like. Also, maybe leaning towards a shorter stroke motor for possible future forced induction would be a better "long term" option? Thoughts? That's about it for the 6.1.

Now the 6.4. What do I like about it? uh.....392....nuff said? Like I mentioned the mds is a little bit of a turn off, but it's a 392....HEMI......Also, I have read that they handle boost very well in the 10lb range but over that may take some additional thought. But, I don't need a 9 second car. If I was running with Hellcats, I would be more than wetting myself.....lol. As I have drove a Hellcat and that is more than enough in my opinion.

So, again, I know there are benefits to each, and I just want to know what I am looking at getting and lock it in. I hate going back and forth with well, maybe a 6.4, but the 6.1....but the 6.4.....so that is the purpose for this post. My plans for one are nothing off the chart, but intake, full header back exhaust, suspension, wheels, blah, blah.....but then possibly forced induction......probably forced induction....haha. So I want to start with the right car. Thanks!

·
Administrator
17,884 Posts
Well if you don't want the mds then go with the 6.1 and stroke it to a 6.4 will be very strong. You would be able to do anything you wanted without cam limitations. IMO an non mds base is the way to go for fun toys.

Don't get me wrong I had a 2013 superbee 6.4 and that thing was a blast to drive. Granted almost every things costs twice as much die to mds.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See, this is the kind of stuff I want to know.....I knew I would get answers on here. I posted this on the Chally forum 3 or 4 days ago and nothin....;) What all is involved exactly in a stroke? Just a crank? or what about a bore? I know that involves pistons/rings, but whats the pros/cons? I had those concerns with MDS. Guess I was right.

1,084 Posts
Okay, so I posted this on the Challenger forum, but they don't seem to be nearly as vocal or open opinionated as we do here which is a bummer from my standpoint. So I will just copy/paste it here and see what you guys think. Plus the head count here is way higher, so that should help.....;)

As posted on Challenger forum...
Okay, so I am a long time dreamer of an SRT8. Going to be my hobby car not soon enough, but I am always torn between the 6.1 and the 6.4. Before I start, please understand I do not intend this to be a debate over which is better and badder, etc. I know that both these are badass engines but want to narrow down the pros/cons of each with performance mods, etc. to make my decision easier.

I have always been a 6.1 fan due to the fact that they are non MDS motors. MDS just turns me off to some degree as I am not into the "fluff" of mpg savings gadgetry and the like. Also, maybe leaning towards a shorter stroke motor for possible future forced induction would be a better "long term" option? Thoughts? That's about it for the 6.1.

Now the 6.4. What do I like about it? uh.....392....nuff said? Like I mentioned the mds is a little bit of a turn off, but it's a 392....HEMI......Also, I have read that they handle boost very well in the 10lb range but over that may take some additional thought. But, I don't need a 9 second car. If I was running with Hellcats, I would be more than wetting myself.....lol. As I have drove a Hellcat and that is more than enough in my opinion.

So, again, I know there are benefits to each, and I just want to know what I am looking at getting and lock it in. I hate going back and forth with well, maybe a 6.4, but the 6.1....but the 6.4.....so that is the purpose for this post. My plans for one are nothing off the chart, but intake, full header back exhaust, suspension, wheels, blah, blah.....but then possibly forced induction......probably forced induction....haha. So I want to start with the right car. Thanks!

well i thank if i was goin for the 6.1 i go on and get thee hellcat if u goin to forced induction then again the hellcat but u going to just goin to get one or the other well there is the hellcat if u r putting the the money in to it there is the helllcat and u do know that the hellcat is just a re engineered 6.1 but i like the 392 also

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually the Hellcat is a 6.4 with a 5.7 crank. And it is 70k....lol. I can pick up a 6.1 for under 30k, supercharge it, put an adjustable coilover suspension on it, tuner, headers with full exhaust, rims/tires, and still be under 40k......But the Hellcat is badass. I drove a friend of mines. Plus theres the "I did it" factor.....

1,084 Posts
Actually the Hellcat is a 6.4 with a 5.7 crank. And it is 70k....lol. I can pick up a 6.1 for under 30k, supercharge it, put an adjustable coilover suspension on it, tuner, headers with full exhaust, rims/tires, and still be under 40k......But the Hellcat is badass. I drove a friend of mines. Plus theres the "I did it" factor.....

and i do like the shaker hoods on the shaker vers

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well....I just read a response to my post on the Challenger forum that the 6.4 Manual transmission combo does not have MDS so that changes the ballgame a lot. I was going to prefer a manual over the auto anyways so that makes it easier. I do like the ZF auto option, but I don't want anything that new nor the MDS soooooo.........

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
:iagree:...MDS makes between little and no sense :facepalm: on a performance vehicle IMO :thumb:

:D

·
Tom
74 Posts
We have a 2012 Challenger R/T with the six speed, and I've found that they are correct, as long as it is a manual, it wont have MDS. I don't know the status of the newer cars, but the older autos ate timing chains like crazy. Similar issue as Harley had with the TC88 in the early 2000's. If you really want to mod it, I would suggest a SRT with the super track pack for the big brakes, and low price tag, then go balls out however you want on it. Most of what gives the high priced cars their price tag gets changed anyway. Just my opinion.

·
Stu
21,241 Posts
I like the new 6.4 Hemi. You wont have to do much to it to get some real power out of it. You have to build the 6.1 to get real power out of it. It would be a good idea to compare the cost of both for about the same power out of them.

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
My preference is with a forged 6.1, stroker crank and a set of killer heads. Keeping it simple....

Reactions: ric3xrt

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I like the new 6.4 Hemi. You wont have to do much to it to get some real power out of it. You have to build the 6.1 to get real power out of it. It would be a good idea to compare the cost of both for about the same power out of them.

The big pro on the 6.1 is cam price and availability of custom grinds,
The big 6.1 Con , is block ,finding a good one and the limitation of the max NA bore is 4.09,, Boosted should be kept in the 4.06/4.07 range unless you have real good block with minimal core shift.

The Big Pro on the 6.2Hellcat/BGE block is bore , 4.09 to start and the core shift is almost non existence.
the big con is the VVT , you can lock it, but cam cores are very limited right now and cam cost can be 2x the price of the Non VVT,

now the SRT392 Block, early ones have core issues also but not as bad as the later casted 6.1s.
One of the things that makes the 6.2/BGE block soooo good is quality control on the castings.

·
Registered
10,403 Posts
Since I stumbled onto this old thread, this is an easy one to sort out. The 6.1's are old, old, old. If you do not intend to do serious mods to the engine, get a 6.4. Serious mods will require replacing the internals with forged parts. Mine is a supercharged 5.7 (the orange one is mine, the blue, my wife's), and I went that way to do the mods I want without having to pull the engine to do so. For what it is worth, the Hellcat has a 6.2 liter engine.

BTW, the best forum for these is: https://www.challengertalk.com

1 - 20 of 21 Posts