Hemi Truck Club banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looked at an STS turbo system the other day.....my truck has almost 90k on her was wondering if this would be an issue this this many miles or more on a stock engine and how much boost would be safe to run?? remember i driver her daily and blown engine is not at all what i want to happen.

so would the sts system be safe on my truck with say a 5-7 psi?? I know you guys are the ones to ask.... educate me please

·
Stu
21,238 Posts
Before you set your mind to a turbo system Kevin. There's some things that you need to know.

TUNING:

The biggest problem is tuning. You need to find someone that has Hemi Ram turbo/supercharging tuning experience. And when you do find someone. It's not that cheap. Any where from $150. to $200. or more an hour on the dyno. A good sign from an experienced tuner is he already has a tune.

Don't take any chances. There has been a few of us that has wasted our money on a tuner that said he could do a tune for our trucks. And couldn't. Just look around on this sight. You can see that most of the boosted Hemi's do have some tuning problems. Even my truck does have some small issues. And not allot of Turbo/Supercharged Hemi Rams around. That's another not so good sign.

Some year trucks are easier to tune and have more tuning options. I'm glade that you don't have an 03.

If you find a good tuner, please let me know.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
To simplify what Stu said. Boost sucks lol. Its fun for all of 10 min when it works right, the rest of the time its a headache

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts

Kevin, IMHO just go with nitrous. Most fun for your buck and easy to tune.

Got questions? PM me.

·
Administrator
17,875 Posts
Al's a bottle baby

Boost is fun tuning is the hard part once tuned very nice mine is supercharged and I am making to much boost for my current belt setup other than that it's nice to drive

·
Stu
21,238 Posts
Keith is right. Once you do have the tune right. It's allot of fun. You don't have to roll your window down and ask the guy next to you..........

"Can You Wait A Minute, I Have To Turn My Bottle On"........

Neil knows a guy down in south Florida that can tune your truck. Just a long way to drive to get a tune. Plan on at least a week for tuning. Once you're boosted. You'll never want to go back N/A.

To be honest Kevin. I would fallow what Nathan did. 456 gears, Trutrac Posi, SP2 heads, 210X cam, 6.1 injectors, headers, free flowing exhaust, Sonnax Line Pressure Booster, 75 or 100 shot of NOS, and a little bit of N/A tuning. His always seems to be a little faster than most of ours trucks.
I would say that would be the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the insight guys, i figured tuning would be a B%#CH.... just thought I d get yalls opinions

honestly I may just go with a stroker IDK got to find the $$$$ first... but a 5.7l to a 6.7 stroker sounds AWESOME thanks again guys

·
Administrator
17,875 Posts
5.7-6.4 good 6.7? Do they even make a kit that big and if they do it won't be good for high rpm or boost stroke to big

·
Board of Directors (Jay)
43,454 Posts
Do they even make a kit that big
Not to my knowledge, but anything can be made.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by Superjay:
Do they even make a kit that big
Not to my knowledge, but anything can be made.
yes they do.....shop Hemi.com

·
Administrator
17,875 Posts
That has to be using a 6.1 block then because I don't believe the 5.7 has the room the 5.7 needs clearance work to the 392 pistons as is but either way would be nice

·
Administrator
17,875 Posts
That and the skirt of the piston one day I want to go to a 426 just waiting on the funds but will have to get trans first

·
Board of Directors (Jay)
43,454 Posts
I rest my case!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Originally posted by raceram9:
thanks for all the insight guys, i figured tuning would be a B%#CH.... just thought I d get yalls opinions

honestly I may just go with a stroker IDK got to find the $$$$ first... but a 5.7l to a 6.7 stroker sounds AWESOME thanks again guys
boost can be tuned by e-mail. I am tuning charged392 from way over in AZ.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts