Hemi Truck Club banner
621 - 640 of 649 Posts

·
Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #621 · (Edited)
Pictures from my modded fuel pump.. got it completed today but for some stupid reason the fuel gauge is not working properly. We'll have to wait until some of the gas is used up in the tank before I decide to drop it down again..

Attachments

Reactions: Redtruck-VA

·
Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #623 ·

·
Administrator
18,161 Posts
Only issue with that setup is you have no fuel containment now. If you run anything lower than half a tank and punch it you have to high likely hood of the pump going dry for a little bit. I had a setup similar at one point and it did it all the time.

·
Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #625 ·
Only issue with that setup is you have no fuel containment now. If you run anything lower than half a tank and punch it you have to high likely hood of the pump going dry for a little bit. I had a setup similar at one point and it did it all the time.
I was hoping that this setup would solve my problem of always running dry at a half a tank.

·
Stu
21,585 Posts
Hey Mark. Just to let you know. Aamco has changed their trans relearn price. $160.
Ursino Motor Diagnostic & Car Clinic (904) 429-9532 will do the relearn for $47.93 Talk to Sebastian. He did my 03 stock 545rfe trans relearn in less than 5 minutes along with showing me the cvi info.
(y)(y)(y)

·
Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #627 ·
Hey Mark. Just to let you know. Aamco has changed their trans relearn price. $160.
Ursino Motor Diagnostic & Car Clinic (904) 429-9532 will do the relearn for $47.93 Talk to Sebastian. He did my 03 stock 545rfe trans relearn in less than 5 minutes along with showing me the cvi info.
(y)(y)(y)
That kind of sucks.. he did not charge me anything when I went last month. I gave the tech a tip who actually did the job.

·
Administrator
18,161 Posts
The fuel basket itself on the exterior needs to stay stock and then put the return right into the bowl also. It will fill with enough fuel fast enough and give you a little window if the fuel runs away being it’s a bowl with no drains.

·
Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #629 ·
So here's my thought process.. Soon as I get just a tad below half tank of gas I am experiencing a fuel pressure drop causing the engine to hesitate from lack of fuel. If you look down in the tank you can see a sump that is molded in the tank where the basket sits down inside..So by modifying the fuel basket with a hole in the bottom, allowing the fuel pick up / filter to stick out of the bottom in that molded sump where there should always be a puddle of gas, so now when the fuel starts to slosh to the back of the tank the fuel should rush into that molded sump and up inside the basket, my fuel return line is also down in the bottom of the basket to help fill that sump . With the filter / pickup pointing to the back of the tank it should be in fuel.. That's my thought process..... If this does not work the only other thing would be a baffled tank. At this point I have nothing to lose but sometime experimenting, testing a theory.....🤞

·
Administrator
18,161 Posts
I did mine kinda the way you did had nothing but issues. Then a got a factory pump setup swapped the pump only and left basket alone. Had no issues after that unless I went below 1/4 and was WOT more than 2 gears.

·
Greg
20,122 Posts
You can try a gas mat, which should help fuel pickup.. I use one in a fuel cell and have no issues.

Reactions: arocketman

·
Greg
20,122 Posts
Holley Hydramat..

Reactions: arocketman

·
Stu
21,585 Posts
The oem fuel tank design is the problem. It's ment for normal all around street driving. You'll have to have 3/4 full in the oem fuel tank when your at the track boosting. It is what it is unless, you change to a different tank or fuel cell.

PS. I see it as a little extra weight for traction. Running street tires. You need all of the traction you can get.

·
Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #635 ·
Update.. so I have run the gas tank down to a quarter of a tank and it seems that the fuel loss has gone away. so I believe my theory is good.. my issue was happening at a half a tank. now I am at a quarter of a tank and still good.

·
Greg
20,122 Posts
How was it losing pickup with a half of tank and not at a quarter tank... curious..

·
Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #637 ·
I am guessing that the gas was just being thrown to the back of the tank and the pump was sucking the fuel basket dry. With a hole being in the center of the basket and the fuel sock pickup pointing straight back it's now allowing the gas to be captured when the fuel sloshes to the back of the tank..... Just my observation..... The next best alternative would be that Holly fuel mat that cost $100 an inch or a fuel cell with baffles.. but I'm happy with my results for now so this is how it's going to stay.

·
Greg
20,122 Posts
All good, as long as you don't lean your $$ motor out.. it might make that $100 an inch mat look cheap... just saying..

Reactions: bada44

·
Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #639 ·
Yes you would be correct.. but I think a fuel cell would be cheaper and it might actually come with some of that $100 an inch fuel mat.

·
Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #640 ·
So the 545 rfe is officially out of the truck and the new 8hp 8 speed is going in. I finally got some parts that I needed to actually install the transmission in the truck. I have the controller and everything I need to wire the transmission in the truck.. I am only struggling with where and how I want to mount the shifter. Once I have the transmission up in the truck I will be able to modify the transmission mount, not quite sure how I'm going to do it. The drive shaft will be sent off for modification most likely resulting in a new one. I post pictures as I progress.

621 - 640 of 649 Posts