1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,501 ·

·
Greg
20,011 Posts

·
Leon
59 Posts
Finally light at the end of the tunnel for me, 396 stroker is together and will be going in the truck over the next few weeks (probably more like months but I'm an optimist). I will start a new thread if anyone wants to check it out. This will test the trans for sure haha!

·
Mark G Senior Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,505 ·
ATS transmission update. My transmission is coming out and going back to ATS I believe I tore up the torque converter, so Clint and his team will be tearing apart my transmission to see what other damage was done. He has created a Billet front pump which will support a forced downshift, and that will be installed before it is sent back to me. And he is going to upgrade my torque converter......

·
Administrator
17,937 Posts
Stock to minor mods is all this is good for because people won’t not downshift the thing that’s what kills it every time with power

·
Stu
21,325 Posts
The Smart Tech overdrive hub has improved the overdrive clutch holding power. But, still isn't enough to stop the od clutches from slipping and burning out from a overdrive forced down shift with real power. There's not enough clutch hub travel. Once the od clutches get worn in, the od hub is almost at max travel. I'm surprised nobody has done something about that. The Smart Tech od hub only increased the travel by .010-.012 of an inch.

·
Mark G Senior Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,510 ·
I have spoken with Clint at ATS diesel a few times since my transmission has made it to the shop. I asked him about doing a video and some technical information and he said that he's going to try to create a video using my transmission with all of the new updates for the 545. Hopefully that will be coming in the next couple of days.....

·
Mark G Senior Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,515 · (Edited)
Actually yes. Clint and his team have created some unbelievable updates over the past year. My transmission is going through a transformation right now with a host of billet parts. And the front pump is all billet now. A brand new co-pilot that will control the transmission pressure better than the original co-pilot. They found that the PCM does not supply enough voltage to the TCM that controls the solenoids in the transmission. So the new co-pilot will have a delay built into it to drop the transmission pressure to allow the shift to happen and then go back to full pressure which is going to be about 260 PSI.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Billet parts sounds expensive.
Billet parts are what that trans needs....along with an OD unit that can 3x the size of the clutchs.

"They found that the PCM does not supply enough voltage to the TCM that controls the solenoids in the transmission"

Makes sense, DCX didn't think that the trans was going to need "re-act" as fast as it needs to when dealing wit "power applied shifts"

One' of the tricks with the 65RFE is to change the separator plate in the VB to handle the 260PSI..... and when you get down to it, it is a lot easier today to get them to live at the 550-650 HP mark then it was just 4 years ago.

·
Mark G Senior Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,518 ·
Yes exactly.. the new co-pilot will have a nano delay for the oil pressure to drop and then resume once the shift is made for clamping pressure. And the clutches and steals are somewhat larger than OEM. I have brought up the question to Clint would it make a difference to use a standalone TCM from an 03 or the 06 2500 to control the transmission rather than the combination PCM TCM computer.

·
Stu
21,325 Posts
The present Copilot I have is working good. It would be interesting to see how much better the new Copilot works.
The stage 4 turbo camshaft power band came in at the higher rpm's. The Inertia street rv/turbo camshaft power band comes in at the lower to mid rpm's. Will see how the ATS trans works with that cam. Really like the Edge torque converter in this trans.

1501 - 1520 of 1535 Posts