Hemi Truck Club banner
1461 - 1480 of 1519 Posts

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
2010 Crew cab laramie, 6 inch BDS lift,37 tires, Magnuson supercharger,corsa exhaust and 3.55 gears. (Im sure changing gears would make a huge difference).
yes it would, if it were me, I'd go 4.88s but I don't care about fuel mileage with something that tall.

How do you like the Magnuson ?

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
Gears, IMO will make a world of difference with that truck and would be the first thing I'd do. They would make the truck more drivable improving fun facter, acceleration and better gas mileage. Plus overall easier on the drivetrain.... my vote would be 4:56's...

·
Registered
2 Posts
How are the ATS 545rfe transmissions holding up?
I am ready to pull the trigger on a transmission purchase and have read through the whole series here and would like to know if the transmissions are still going strong.

·
Stu
21,241 Posts
My ATS trans and Copilot are running great. Been doing a few hits up to 7psi boost. The ATS trans shifts really nice and feels solid. Really like this ATS trans and Copilot. The Pro Edge 2800 is acting like a 3000-3200rpm stall tc behind my turbocharged 5.7 stroker(6.4). Currently running 3.55 gears but, that will change in the next few days to 4.10's. Haven't put the ATS trans and Copilot through full testing, boost tuning and running at the track yet due to a cam and tuning idle issue. But, have done allot of spirited street and freeway driving. Very positive results so far. :thumb::thumb:

·
Mark G Senior Member
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,470 ·
The ATS transmission seems to be holding. I have had several blasts at 15 psi.. including forced downshifts.. which is a tremendous amount of abuse.. if you are going to replace the transmission I would definitely add the copilot... make sure you let ATS diesel know that you got your information from Hemi truck Club ask for Clint Cannon tell him Mark & Stu sent you.

·
Leon
59 Posts
My ATS trans and Copilot are running great. Been doing a few hits up to 7psi boost. The ATS trans shifts really nice and feels solid. Really like this ATS trans and Copilot. The Pro Edge 2800 is acting like a 3000-3200rpm stall tc behind my turbocharged 5.7 stroker(6.4). Currently running 3.55 gears but, that will change in the next few days to 4.10's. Haven't put the ATS trans and Copilot through full testing, boost tuning and running at the track yet due to a cam and tuning idle issue. But, have done allot of spirited street and freeway driving. Very positive results so far. :thumb::thumb:
My ATS and Co-Pilot was still going strong before I left home a month ago. Been running it a couple years now. 09 4x4 with a Procharger @ 7lbs and Edge 2800. 6.4 stroker is in progress, planning 12 or 13 lbs of boost. I can't make up my mind on what gears to replace those garbage 3.55 though, it's between 4.56 and 4.10. I have stock size 20s so they're 33". I see a lot of votes for 4.56, but I'm worried if I make the 750hp at the crank I'm shooting for it'll just be roasting rubber and not hooking up- even with the Detroit Truetrac I have.

Stu- what swayed you to 4.10 vs 4.56

Amanda- I bet with those big ol tires you have it's an easy decision to do 4.56 or even lower.

·
Mark G Senior Member
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,472 ·
Hey Lyon12 how are you doing bud? I can tell you one thing 456s and a 2 door 2 wheel drive truck will be a bit squirrely.... you will probably be okay with the 456s in your heavy four-wheel drive truck with the tall tires..... my 2 cents.

·
Administrator
17,884 Posts
4.56 if procharger 3.92/4.10 turbo.

It will be fun that’s for sure. I ran 4.56 gears for years when I was supercharged it makes for a fun ride. Just watch how you are on the pedal when in corners but that’s any time.

·
Stu
21,241 Posts
Anymore updates on the Ats transmission. I'm installing 4.56 gears this weekend and need an upgraded transmission soon.

My 03 heavy quad cab is back to stock with the exception of the 4.56 gears and my modded Sharadon stage III trans. I really enjoy the 4.56 gears in my 03. They make a heavy truck feel lighter and have peppier performance. As for my Sharadon stage III trans, I prefer the ATS trans and Copilot over it. My Sharadon shifts harder and is setup for a 2800-3200 stall tc. I have the oem tc in the 03 and it make the shifting with the Sharadon a little aggravating (shifts early)... Need to pull out the Sharadon stage III trans out of the 03 due to it was built mainly to race with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks guys

I want everyone to know that this ole' Vet appreciates all your hard work, testing, experiments and most of all "Patience."
I am not going to make as much power as you guys, but enough to be concerned.
If you guys can successfully put the transmissions through testing that you have done thus far, I should be fine with one.
I do have a question.
Has anyone here utilized the ATS Torque converter?
I was going to use one with a 2400 stall, but ATS only seems to offer 1900-2100 stall. Unless I am missing something.

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
I disagree, it isn't as easy as a SC runs this and turbos use the other. It is about how the truck is setup and where your engine is making power, tire size and torque converter if automatic.. What is working for me is using a taller gear (3:92), 31" tall x16" wide tire, 3500rpm stall (9.5" converter). It all has to work together for the best over all results. Centrifugal Superchargers work well using a cog belt. IMO the extra effort it takes to use a direct drive or cog belt is well worth it.

Reactions: arocketman

·
Mark G Senior Member
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,478 ·
I want everyone to know that this ole' Vet appreciates all your hard work, testing, experiments and most of all "Patience."
I am not going to make as much power as you guys, but enough to be concerned.
If you guys can successfully put the transmissions through testing that you have done thus far, I should be fine with one.
I do have a question.
Has anyone here utilized the ATS Torque converter?
I was going to use one with a 2400 stall, but ATS only seems to offer 1900-2100 stall. Unless I am missing something.
I am using the stock ATS torque converter...... unless you plan on drag racing a stall converter probably isn't necessary.

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
Keep in mind the Ram RT used a 2600 rpm converter, just loose enough to use the torque begining to be built for mid range and a 4:10 gear. Since this was a factory street setup it would make sense that it would be a good baseline to start with.

Reactions: ric3xrt
1461 - 1480 of 1519 Posts