Hemi Truck Club banner
1 - 20 of 1519 Posts

·
Mark G Senior Member
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a great conversation with Ryan and Dennis at ATS diesel. They are very interested in working with us to create a transmission along with their co-pilot transmission controller. They will be in contact with me in a couple days about testing their products out. Please refer back to this thread with any questions or complaints you have about products that you have purchased from ATS diesel.

·
Mark G Senior Member
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So what exactly was the conversation you had with ATS Mark?
they will be looking for some of us to test out transmissions and transmission controllers to develop a transmission that will work with our platforms... Hopefully it will all be free to us they need more data to build properly.

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
I'm a non believer, but using 65rfe/ 68re parts does sound promising. good luck guys.

·
Administrator
17,884 Posts
I am going to sit back and watch this. I have spoken to a few big time trans builders and they all say straight line power is fine that's not the issue. It's the downshifts that kill it every time especially with power and let's be honest here there is not a single person out there that wants a transmission they cannot floor from a roll steady crushing it's just crap if you can't ( been doing it for years trust me it sucks having to downshift and wait). The new setup sonnax just came out with is likely a little bandaid for your average power but add a blower or a 200 shot and forget it same ball park. All in all anyone that goes this route is going to have a ton of time tied up in there truck with labor and what not and they will want a ton of info and what not recorded for this the best person for this is going to be someone that can do all the work to the T the way they say or suggest and has a second truck to drive when the trans blows which it will blow. Downside is you will need a scanner because whoever it is will need a good scanner for the quick learns and what not. I am not against this just stating it's not really going to be worth it because in the end we know what the outcome will be. By all means anyone that jumps on this for testing that needs help or info I am here to help if needed just let me know.

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
Keith, you can lead them to water, but you can't make them drink..

·
Stu
21,241 Posts
but add a blower or a 200 shot and forget it
With that kind of power, you shouldn't be using the 545rfe trans anyhow.
I agree with you Keith 100%. The most that can be gained out of this is a more reliable 545rfe trans for a lightly modded Hemi engine at best. It's disappointing that they can't do their own testing and data gathering. But, lets face the facts. How many mid 12 second street Hemi Rams are out there that the 545rfe(stage 3) can hold up on and be reliable at the same time? Believe the 545rfe mods are almost there to make that so. But, wouldn't use the 545rfe on anything faster than that! :nonono::icon_nono:

·
Slow Memeber
5,513 Posts
With that kind of power, you shouldn't be using the 545rfe trans anyhow.
I agree with you Keith 100%. The most that can be gained out of this is a more reliable 545rfe trans for a lightly modded Hemi engine at best. It's disappointing that they can't do their own testing and data gathering. But, lets face the facts. How many mid 12 second street Hemi Rams are out there that the 545rfe(stage 3) can hold up on and be reliable at the same time? Believe the 545rfe mods are almost there to make that so. But, wouldn't use the 545rfe on anything faster than that! :nonono::icon_nono:
The answer is already out there. None. Ats has been around for a while, there built trans is just a purple painted 545 which in the end is still a piece of **** trans just like the one I got out of the junkyard for $400 instead of $3k an a phantom warranty, my isn't even near 12s an has problems not eating transmissions.
I would go the patc route again 3 more times before going with Ats.

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
Reading reviews is not always the most accurate way to judge a company and its services, but does show a certain direction a company leans toward.

·
Enormous Member
1,154 Posts
I am going to sit back and watch this. I have spoken to a few big time trans builders and they all say straight line power is fine that's not the issue. It's the downshifts that kill it every time especially with power and let's be honest here there is not a single person out there that wants a transmission they cannot floor from a roll steady crushing it's just crap if you can't ( been doing it for years trust me it sucks having to downshift and wait). The new setup sonnax just came out with is likely a little bandaid for your average power but add a blower or a 200 shot and forget it same ball park. All in all anyone that goes this route is going to have a ton of time tied up in there truck with labor and what not and they will want a ton of info and what not recorded for this the best person for this is going to be someone that can do all the work to the T the way they say or suggest and has a second truck to drive when the trans blows which it will blow. Downside is you will need a scanner because whoever it is will need a good scanner for the quick learns and what not. I am not against this just stating it's not really going to be worth it because in the end we know what the outcome will be. By all means anyone that jumps on this for testing that needs help or info I am here to help if needed just let me know.
This must all be new. I talked to them at the beginning of the month and they didn't want to know me. They specifically told me they would not honor their warranty if I put their top of the line trans in. Close to 4Gs and no warranty !?!?! F those guys. The solution had already been found by Greg, the 46rh swap. I just sent Martin Saine a deposit for my version. Good to 700 whp, full manual VB, big stall, deep pan, the works..... Can't wait until it gets here. I want to drive my truck again.

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
And speaking of reviews goggle Martin Saine transmissions and compare his reviews with the others. I know I really like the one he built for me over a year ago. Plus I blew a cooling line and ran it a half a mile basically empty after stopping trying to get off the road. I was sure it was burned up. Trailer ed it home and repaired the hose temporarily and filled it back up seriously thinking it was in for a rebuild. But no, it hung 2nd to 3rd once and back to normal. This is one tough trans not counting the constant testing resulting with a 12.37 @ 111mph. I have no doubt it will easily hold next year power.

·
Mark G Senior Member
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This must all be new. I talked to them at the beginning of the month and they didn't want to know me. They specifically told me they would not honor their warranty if I put their top of the line trans in. Close to 4Gs and no warranty !?!?! F those guys. The solution had already been found by Greg, the 46rh swap. I just sent Martin Saine a deposit for my version. Good to 700 whp, full manual VB, big stall, deep pan, the works..... Can't wait until it gets here. I want to drive my truck again.
From the conversation I had with Ryan, they would honor warranties on Transmissions. I think we should give these guys a chance. They want to build a transmission that will withstand the power we are making... Obviously they are still in the design phase. They were working with Roots Supercharger but did not get enough data to make enough changes for this transmission to work properly. I will have more details soon.

·
James
1,498 Posts
This is by no means a solution to our problem, but for those not looking to do a complete trans swap, but also are not looking to run 12's, I'd give ATF in David FL a call. They built Otniel's trans a long time ago, and he specifically to me he got 7,000 from a SharaDon Stage 3, and 60,000 out of his ATF before he sold it, and went to a T-56. Their website doesn't say anything about the 545, but I'd give them a call and see what they'd offer.

·
Stu
21,241 Posts
Wouldn't mind trying out their CoPilot pressure controller just to see what it does. Wouldn't pay $800. for it unless I knew for sure it help the trans. Every little bit helps to a point....

·
Stu
21,241 Posts
I'd give ATF in David FL a call. They built Otniel's trans a long time ago, and he specifically to me he got 7,000 from a SharaDon Stage 3, and 60,000 out of his ATF before he sold it, and went to a T-56. Their website doesn't say anything about the 545, but I'd give them a call and see what they'd offer.
He towed a heavy dump trailer most of the time with his qc too. It would be worth the call. :thumb::thumb: Believe Otniels trans had 68rfe parts in it too.

1 - 20 of 1519 Posts