Hemi Truck Club banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Yeah, OIF 06-07.

Sorry, couldn't resist being a smart a##.

Hopefully some of the Diablo guys will help.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's cool CavRam.lol Can't beleive all these cammed truck's and no one has a surge issue of some sort?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I have the stock cam and use a Superchips 3815. With or without the tune in it, the engine will have a surge like when I'm coasting down a hill at 20-25 MPH.
Is this surging while coasting what you are asking about?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Originally posted by CavRam:
I have the stock cam and use a Superchips 3815. With or without the tune in it, the engine will have a surge like when I'm coasting down a hill at 20-25 MPH.
Mine does the exact same thing, up and down a couple hundred RPMs.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by CavRam:
I wish.lol Go to the link i posted i described it in there.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: Diablo is helping with the surge.Johan has made 2 attempt's at the surge and both time's it has helped.The stopping surge is higher than 700 rpm with a slight fluctuation.It no longer drop's below 700 rpm when stopping.(it's liveavble) This ought to stop the lunge (at time's) and the dieing when stopping and turning.He has also lightened the take off surge.I'm hoping they continue to help get rid of the rest of the surge.So it look's like there's hope for any of us with a bad surge.Hopefully Johan will be able to get rid of the rest of it and make it common knowledge so everyone has access through your cmr tuner.Think this show's Great customer service from Diablo.Keeping my finger's crossed for an end to The Surge.

·
Super Moderator
'05 Boosted 426 & '14 4X4
12,730 Posts
Anything new here. Hope everything is fine for you now.

Just took a look at the thread you posted.

1%er here.
No comments to share.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well guy's i tried my best to get a resolution to this problem.They have helped the surge to the point where it's liveable but it's still not acceptable.The last tune of turning egr off cost me about 1 1/2 to 2 mpg.I've put a few mile's on this one to see if the adaptive's would make it better.It's not happening though.This tune is going to have to go and i'm probable going to back up to the last tune that helped.I once made the statement how do you know it's not hurting proformance.Look's like there's truth in that statement.With the truck surging less i have noticed it has a little more get up and go on take off.I'll have to say Diablo is a little out of the loop.Saying it's only 1% of all truck's in cmr is pure bullshit.I think there looking at it through Diablo handheld eye's not cmr. That statement made me mad.(There way of saying SORRY.)They have been helpful and i did'nt want the thread to get out of hand,but still get my point across.My mission was to make our truck's w/cam's more enjoyable for all of us to drive,not to start a war.All in all my truck is more enjoyable to drive but it's not helping the Hemi community with the solution we need.They are good people they just need to get out and see what i'm saying.If they could have rode in my truck before there help they would be singing a differant tune.I'm at a sticking point with them.I guess we'll just have to deal with the surge and wait and see if they give us what Mike Lafrad asked for.(I know it can't be that hard for them to pull one more pid out of the DCX to help us.)There's only one alturnitive to get them motivated to get on this for us.That would be for people to not just sit and take it.They need to let there voice's be heard in that thread.They need to realize that it's way more than 1% and we need a resolution.So it dosen't matter what handheld your using let your voice be heard.It's our community and why should we let the Chevy,Ford's and every other vechicle they support get all the attention.PLEASE POST UP AND LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD FOR THE GOOD OF ALL.(Or just keep surging and not get our share of what we paid for.)Your Choice.

·
Super Moderator
'05 Boosted 426 & '14 4X4
12,730 Posts
I hear you. There comes a point where another option is explored. No easy answers with our trucks PCM's.
Best tune I got was on the dyno with the tune writer and that was a race tune that was okay on the street daily driving. Diablo has issues that there is not an answer for. Other manufactures are working at breaking that code too. So in the mean time.....we surge.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Go to Diablo sports web site email to Johan, Johan fixed Steve's Jeep and his was Bad! tell you what that man can tune.......

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Jeeps and LX cars are canbus. Have had great luck and success with Diablo. Our trucks with these problems are NGC. Apples to oranges.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lonnie your right Johan is impressive.He made a world of differance in my surge.But like Hemidup said there is a differance in pcm's.Even though Johan did'nt cure my surge,i beleive he can cure it if they would just allow him the time to solve the problem.Diablo is our best bet for a solution to this problem.They have the knowledge,resoure's and of course Johan.If we could get there attention maybe they would give Johan some time to investigate it.So Bill or anyone else with this problem please post a comment in the Diablo thread on your concern to see a cure for this.(don't matter what tuner you use)The more noise we make the more they will listen.You may only be part of 1%,but that 1% is the heart of our Dodge Truck Proformance World.If you guy's won't speak up then no one else will.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Tim from Mr. Norm's did a great job of CMR tuning one of our customer's stroked and blown 04 1500 Ram. It took 3 days on the dyno and $1500. No surging, no issues, run's like a scaulded ape except he's now out a transmission. Transmission issues were my main concern when Diablo first came out.

·
Administrator
17,875 Posts
If using diablo port tuner and have big cam set idle 100 higher and let it try to idle it will stall out start back up hold idle at 2000 for 1 min and let it try to idle again if it stalls out then just start it and bring it slowly down to idle or off the pedal it will surge up and down but eventually even out and surge no more.

Master tech with tons of tuning experience with these trucks so let me know if help wanted

·
Stu
21,238 Posts
How much 03 tuning (The Bastard step child of tuning) experience do you have? Due to the tuning issues that 03s have. That's why I had to go with a mild turbo/stroker cam. Most Hemi engine builders/tuners don't like 03s. Too many tuning problems with big cams for street driving.

·
Registered
378 Posts
My 04 with my KRC 210 has a little surging. My first tuner did a good job of getting it close but like others, surging at lower speeds like coasting and exiting off ramps would get aggravating. Then when coming to a stop and it wanting to die was embarrassing. My second tuner increased timing in some areas and helped. I have shared emails with johan also and he did me a tune which took pretty much all the surging out but it felt like it wasnt as powerful of a tune as my other tuner did.

I am in the comparing states now though

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by charged392:
If using diablo port tuner and have big cam set idle 100 higher and let it try to idle it will stall out start back up hold idle at 2000 for 1 min and let it try to idle again if it stalls out then just start it and bring it slowly down to idle or off the pedal it will surge up and down but eventually even out and surge no more.

Master tech with tons of tuning experience with these trucks so let me know if help wanted
My truck has alway's idled fine when sitting still.Have it dropped to 550rpm in p/n and it idle's without a problem.The problem would start once throttle is applied,returning to idle when stopping or just cruising in the below 2,000rpm band.The problem is this is where the truck spend's most of it's time when daily driving.Johan has helped to make a major differance in the surge.Once the adaptive's have had mile's put on it,it's not to noticeable.It's not gone though when you take off lightly you can still hear the motor going wha...wha...wha.I also feel like weedahoe that it dosen't feel as strong.For me this seem's more noticeable in 1st.On the shift to 2nd as the rpm's start to build it will push you back in the seat and pull like a frieght train.I feel like it should feel the same way in 1st in the same rpm range.So there is some trade off in performance to tame the surge.Still think Mike LaFrad's request for the exhaust transport delay is the solution for this surge.It's quite evident in whatching my wideband that he hit the nail on the head as to what is going on.Also a steadier afr would produce a side effect of improvement in mpg.If Diablo would give Johan the time to investigate the DCX for this pid it would have a major impact in cmr tuning and how our modded truck's perform also our happyness.Been told this pid is in cmr for the 07's.So i'm sure it's in other year model's as well.(if it wasn't needed it would be in there at all)It's just ashame that Diablo consider's cmr a side effect of thier tuning and won't put any extra effort to improve cmr's abilities.We all know the Hemi is well worth the time and effort to give it the tuning it deserve's.To bad we can't convince Diablo of this.Sorry for the looonng winded post guy's but i guess you can tell how i feel about our tuning or lack of it.lolol

charged 392 Thank you for your offer.Any advice or tip's you could give us to help getting our truck's tuning better is appriciated.

Also

·
Administrator
17,875 Posts
So your surging while cruising that would drive me crazy my trucks supercharged with the gms piggyback for timing and fuel with a massive boost cam " stu" knows how big I have no surge at all I'm curious to know if this started after the cam or after you had a tune done

1 - 20 of 50 Posts