Hemi Truck Club banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i coming up on 3400 miles and was wondering when you guys have been changing oil. The manual says 6k i think but that seems a high. I always ran mobil 1 and changed @3.5k. Hows the amsoil xl oil? Are the oil filters really worth the 18 bux they are listed for?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Im curious. Why would you spend the extra money for oil (synthetic) which is designed to give higher mileage oil change interval protection then change oil the same interval as dino oil? Save some money and change the dino oil every 3 thousand.

·
The Original Bee
2,071 Posts
Hows the amsoil xl oil?
XL has been increased to 6 months - 10,000 miles from the previous 6 months - 7,500 miles intervals.
I run the ASM 0w-20 in my '05 for the full year interval, with no problems.

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
Originally posted by TimsHemiTruck:
Im curious. Why would you spend the extra money for oil (synthetic) which is designed to give higher mileage oil change interval protection then change oil the same interval as dino oil? Save some money and change the dino oil every 3 thousand.
All MDS Hemi's are recommended to run full synthetic.

·
Board of Directors (Jay)
43,454 Posts
I run the ASM 0w-20 in my '05 for the full year interval, with no problems
Me too, except 0-30.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i guess i'd rather change too much than not enough. Synthetic is needed in the mds hemi engines and I always use sunthetic in all my vehicles regardless. I was more interested in Amsoils higher mileage change intervals and whether people think it's worth it to run Amsoil or not

·
Registered
333 Posts
Originally posted by Jhrod:
i guess i'd rather change too much than not enough. Synthetic is needed in the mds hemi engines and I always use sunthetic in all my vehicles regardless. I was more interested in Amsoils higher mileage change intervals and whether people think it's worth it to run Amsoil or not
I think it is. The increase in oil change intervals saves money in the long run.
But it isnt if your going to change oil as often as you plan on doing it. Thats my point. Why spend the extra money when you wont be realizing the benefits of it?

·
Registered
13,698 Posts
I think it is. The increase in oil change intervals saves money in the long run.
But it isnt if your going to change oil as often as you plan on doing it. Thats my point. Why spend the extra money when you wont be realizing the benefits of it?
Even if he changes at 3.5K miles, his engine will still run more efficiently for those miles with AMSOIL than with conventional.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my overall point being if i switch to Amsoil i'll be extending my oil change intervals to whatever that oil is rated for. Ive never used amsoil. I won't still change it at 3.5-4k like mobil 1 synthetic. Thats what i'm trying to decide: switch to amsoil and change at XX k /stay with the old standby mobil 1 and stay at 3.5-4k changes

·
Registered
13,698 Posts
Let's put it this way: my truck runs 10 degrees cooler in August with AMSOIL Signature Series 0W-30 than it did in January with Mobil 1...and I only change it once a year. I've never gotten more than 4-5K out of Mobil 1.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
now i feel better that i already ordered 7 qts, but of 5w20 XL. maybe next i'll try 0w20. I'll stick with my fram filters for now and go 6 month changes

·
Registered
9 Posts
i bought my truck 2 months ago, it came with the dodge service plan which makes you change the oil every 6 months or 10,000kms. the truck also just started to tell me to change the oil and it's at 9500kms, so long intervals don't seem to be a problem anymore.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Here is what I don't seem to understand. Most of you folks are driving a vehicle that must have list for over thirty grand...........why the hell are you trying to save a few bucks on oil changes????

·
Registered
172 Posts
Originally posted by GORILLAVETTE:
Here is what I don't seem to understand. Most of you folks are driving a vehicle that must have listed for over thirty grand...........why the hell are you trying to save a few bucks on oil changes????
If you change oil every 1000 miles it will obviously stay a bit cleaner than every 6000 but it's not necessary. If it gives you peace of mind that is all that counts but trying to save a few bucks by streatching out the time intervals on a valuable vehicle you spent good money for is just not logical to me.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Here is what I don't seem to understand. Most of you folks are driving a vehicle that must have listed for over thirty grand...........why the hell are you trying to save a few bucks on oil changes????
If you change oil every 1000 miles it will obviously stay a bit cleaner than every 6000 but it's not necessary. If it gives you peace of mind that is all that counts but trying to save a few bucks by streatching out the time intervals on a valuable vehicle you spent good money for is just not logical to me.
Because you dont NEED to. Thats the point. The oil Is DESIGNED for extended change intervals, and AmsOil guarantees says theyll replace the engine if it fails due to oil failure.

·
Registered
128 Posts
All MDS Hemi's are recommended to run full synthetic.[/QUOTE]
Where does it say Dodge recomends full synthetic? I have looked around, and checked my owners manual, no where does it say synthetic is recomended. I get my oil changed at the dealer only, and they do not use synthetic.

·
Registered
13,698 Posts
I believe the recommended oil for MDS is a 5W20, which means you can run the AMSOIL 0W20 without any problems. It's far superior to conventional.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Originally posted by Freeze:
I believe the recommended oil for MDS is a 5W20, which means you can run the AMSOIL 0W20 without any problems. It's far superior to conventional.
perhaps, but they do not recomend the use of synthetic, as was stated several times. I have not seen that written in any of my Dodge paperwork, or anywhere else I have looked.

·
Registered
986 Posts
no where does it recommend synthetic for the mds but the srt's motor's do ....i use 5w20 mobil 5000 napa gold filter in both charger r/t and 09 ram....have good luck with it. oil change will depend on driving habits...city/highway driving....stop/go...towing...etc.

·
Registered
13,698 Posts
Originally posted by acejr11:
Originally posted by Freeze:
perhaps, but they do not recomend the use of synthetic, as was stated several times. I have not seen that written in any of my Dodge paperwork, or anywhere else I have looked.
I recommend you do a bit more research on the subject. There are plenty of things your Dodge paperwork won't specifically mention. There isn't a single person with serious money invested in performance engines who will run conventional oil beyond the break-in period. There is no downside to using a top-quality synthetic in your HEMI. And by top-quality, I mean Amsoil or Royal Purple, not Mobil 1. Both dramatically reduce friction, which will result in a number of benefits. You will notice an immediate improvement in idle quality and throttle response. Engine operating temp will drop by at least 5 degrees F. MPG will go up a bit. You won't have to change your oil every 3K miles. Oh, and they have better film strength than conventional, so they'll protect the moving parts better and your engine will last longer. Need I go on?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts