Hemi Truck Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking at several options for an aftermarket grill for my 2018 ram.

I’ve noted the oem grill has small panels on either side that direct incoming air towards the radiator/shutters.

Most all aftermarket grills do not have these panels in place. So, do the aftermarket units impede proper cooling??

There are so many aftermarket grills available without these panels that I can’t imagine there are real issues, BUT the factory installed then on the oem grill so I assume there is a good reason for them.

·
Administrator
18,122 Posts
It should not hinder air flow. The passenger side I think is just a power ram air seal anyway for WOT. As long as the main center areas open you should be fine heat wise

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve been doing some research and have an idea…..

Active grill shutters are there to help engine warmup when cold and add aerodynamics to the truck when closed at hiway speeds.

Could it be that these side panels are there to feed air towards the active grill shutters to help the aerodynamic effect???? Without these panels (as on the aftermarket grills) the air hits the back of the grill, the windshield washer, etc, and is thus NOT directed toward the shutters.

If, in fact, that is the case, I would assume that the lack of these panels (as on aftermarket grills) probably has a very minimal effect on the overall operation of the active grill shutters….

Why do I believe that I’m overthinking this whole thing…good grief !!! 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wheel Cloud Tire Sky Car

I went ahead and swapped the original grill with the aftermarket Rebel style grill. Again, it does not have the side panels but otherwise is fit great and all is good with it. Surprisingly, the coolant temperature is more stable. I have no idea why. The temp would swing from 204-220 or more. Now it floats from 199-204. Strange??
I had thought about removing the active shutters but I left them alone. Huh????

1 - 6 of 6 Posts