Hemi Truck Club banner
81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 for now....
12 Posts
there is always more to learn, and I have made a couple tweaks. running the standalone on the engine was something I definitely wish I had done from the start too. I will do a detailed writeup with some pictures in a few days, I'm not at home right now. I do like the performance/driveability, but I am on the fence about whether I would still do it if I could do it all over again. I will explain it in more detail in a couple days.
Awesome. Thanks man.

Just a little Back info on my situation....
My 5.7 2008 Ram 4x4 started getting a lifter ticking and I'm getting some misfires.

I am by no means an engine guy but one of my lifelong buddies has been a automotive and heavy duty mechanic for 20 some odd years now. With us doing the work of course the performance cam is cheaper than a stock replacement... But then we could also get the heads polished and ported.... But then why do that much work when the bottom end is 13 years old...
But then, but then, but then....

Bought a wrecker 5.7 engine to build from scratch. It came out of a recent traffic collision.
After we tore apart we found it was perfect inside.
Getting it dipped, bored .020 over, line bored with heads on, ect..
Currently sourcing out a stroker kit for the 392 to 397 range while maintaining a compression ratio below 10.5-9.5 ish.

I'm already sold on the car timing cover mod. Need to fit a performance intake on this thing somehow...
I also like the placement of alternator and AC compressor too.

Was already planning on the electric rad fan. Was going to do that along with 3 inch body lift before I had the engine trouble pop up. I already have a 6 in suspension lift. Yeah I want to be one of those a**holes. Northern Alberta everybody has a lifted truck, my 6-in lift feels small.

It's a damn good truck, and it's paid off. I want to have some fun... But I am also trying to keep it a daily driver... famous last words I know...

But my first engine build has to start somewhere... and what's the saying? you have to ”pee” with the ”equipment” you got. [Sanitized]

I don't plan on taking it to the track so I'm going to wait until my transmission blows up before I would go this far.

Although I've never had a vehicle worth taking to the track.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I probably will not have any more updates on this until next spring. I have bought the transmission, a center console for the console shifter as well as a shifter. I have various other parts accumulated such as cooler lines and stuff as well as I did just get the torque converter back from TCS which is now a built high stall.
I just paid a big dentist bill for my oldest son today so I am tapped for the season. This is literally the only benefit of living up here in that it sits parked for six months of winter while I save money for the next modification. I will probably order the stuff I need from Sound German during the course of winter.
Sound German is the way to go, he's spent a allot of time thinking out and working out his kits.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Been involved in a few 3rd Gen (2nd& 4th gen and a pair of 77s) 8 speed swaps, lots of upsides , major down side is cost... I can not emphasize the importance Sound German and his PCS system........

I'm helping a new coworker swap a NAG1 and transfer case from a 06 JeepSRT in to his 05 Ram Daytona with Sound German's NAG1 PCS.

·
Registered
12 Posts
All about sharing the wealth, how long have we waited for a decent solution to the RFE? There it is lol! :lol::lol:
It's definitely on my to do list, but it's below engine mods & new tires, especially after finishing this:

please explain the door panels and steering wheel.... they're the same as mine... but NICER.... what did they come out of? laramie?
hard to see but steering column too? deleted column shifter?

yeah yeah 4th gen seats and console... "on my to do list" lol
....but that steering wheel!

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Been involved in a few 3rd Gen (2nd& 4th gen and a pair of 77s) 8 speed swaps, lots of upsides , major down side is cost... I can not emphasize the importance Sound German and his PCS system........

I'm helping a new coworker swap a NAG1 and transfer case from a 06 JeepSRT in to his 05 Ram Daytona with Sound German's NAG1 PCS.
Well change in plans , he's going with HTG tuning controller instead of Soundgerman Never used it with a NAG1 , used it twice with the 8sp ....I'll keep you all posted.

·
Red Trucker
247 Posts
please explain the door panels and steering wheel.... they're the same as mine... but NICER.... what did they come out of? laramie?
hard to see but steering column too? deleted column shifter?

yeah yeah 4th gen seats and console... "on my to do list" lol
....but that steering wheel!
SRT door panels as well as the center bezel. Matches the console bezel very nicely. Floor shift to go with console. Bezel is new but for a stick shift 4.7 truck. Steering wheel is a Grant: Grant Products 64037 Grant O.E.M. Replacement Steering Wheels | Summit Racing

Mine is a 2003 and I was tired of the minivan wheel. So I decided to swap to a newer one. By the time I had it figured out I figured out that Grant made one and that Chrysler Aspen cruise switches were silver but identical.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Floor shift to go with console. Bezel is new but for a stick shift 4.7 truck.
wanna elaborate? im not sure i know what you mean. too many bezels. lol

the shifter didn't come with the console?
the shifter came from a 4.7 truck?
bezel is new.

also black dash... that came from the SRT too eh? found a good wrecker did ya? i doubt they were new-old stock.
steering console housing from a manual truck to delete the tree column shifter? or did you swap the whole column?

theres a wrecker in town here with an SRT, but interior is stripped. motor caught on fire. I got the SRT bed liner for 90 bucks though

and for any interested... this is a good video with shots of the interior of SRT

·
Red Trucker
247 Posts
wanna elaborate? im not sure i know what you mean. too many bezels. lol

the shifter didn't come with the console?
the shifter came from a 4.7 truck?
bezel is new.

also black dash... that came from the SRT too eh? found a good wrecker did ya? i doubt they were new-old stock.
steering console housing from a manual truck to delete the tree column shifter? or did you swap the whole column?
Sorry, the bezel (center) is from the SRT truck.
The COLUMN SHROUD (this is why I probably shouldn't post late at night lol) is from a 4.7 stick shift truck.
The shifter is from a 4th gen auto and came with the console.
No, dark gray dash is my stock one: dark slate gray color code:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry, the bezel (center) is from the SRT truck.
The COLUMN SHROUD (this is why I probably shouldn't post late at night lol) is from a 4.7 stick shift truck.
The shifter is from a 4th gen auto and came with the console.
No, dark gray dash is my stock one: dark slate gray color code:
Gotcha Thanks.

I guess i havent seen a dark grey interior in the wild... not many lone star gen 3s up here.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts