Hemi Truck Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question is for the 2009 & up Rams. Does anyone know which of the 7 wires that run to the main trailer plug also run the 4 wire plug? They're all bundled together...

I have a Fire & Ice 12" light bar that I got from 3rd Strike that has a 4 pin plug adapter - didn't want to have it plugged into the plug itself.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
40,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This question is for the 2009 & up Rams. Does anyone know which of the 7 wires that run to the main trailer plug also run the 4 wire plug? They're all bundled together...

I have a Fire & Ice 12" light bar that I got from 3rd Strike that has a 4 pin plug adapter - didn't want to have it plugged into the plug itself.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
10,010 Posts
Yes they are all bundled together! Also just a little correction it is a 7 wire and 4 wire plug... The 7 plug adds brakes and reverse lights!

·
Retired BOD - Doug
39,640 Posts
Wish I could help you Mark. We were going to install Morris' F&I and saw it was going to have to be hardwired or have it sticking out of the plug. Didn't get done that day. We had just installed his new bed cover and weren't up to it.

·
Registered
902 Posts
My 05 came with the round (7 pin?) plug on the bumper but there is a 4 pin plug with cap in the harness up behind the bumper. Any chance you have that on yours?

·
Registered
40,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was hoping for that ... but no. Both connectors end at the left of the license plate area on the bumper. Nice look, but sux if you want to plug in anything other than a trailer harness.

·
Premium Member
13,314 Posts
Originally posted by "RANCHER":
We had just installed his new bed cover and weren't up to it.
and Karla THANKS you both for that

Originally posted by rdsetgo: The 7 plug adds brakes and reverse lights!
and 12volt constant HOT.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Mark,

You might want to look around on some trailer sites for an adapter. I have seen some that will be plug and play in the rear wiring harness where it connects to the back of the truck and has a 4 pin coming off of it. There are also kits to add the 7 pin the same way but you have to run your own power upto the battery.

·
Premium Member
13,314 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
40,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
13,314 Posts
Originally posted by MrHemi:
Thanks guys!

wait, did you really mean a 12" light bar?

i just put a new recon 60" bar on Karla's and following her home after leaving the school last night in the daylight, it sure looks to me like the LED bar comes on a split second before the Tails and is MUCH brighter... nice....

·
Registered
40,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup... a 12" light bar. Fits in the same gap a regular light bar would go, centered over the license plate area. Has all the functions as a 48" or 60" light bar... left & right signals, brake, back-up lights - plus this one has running lights which is pretty cool.

Got it from Duane at 3rd Strike - he had the best price

Oh by the way... the wiring harness adapter is part # 118384 and is for '09 & up Dodge Rams - it looks like the below.

Thanks again for all the help - this is exactly what I was looking for!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,314 Posts
ahhhh well can't wait to see a pic of that...

just put a new Recon 60" on Karla's truck, I followed her home and dang it's BRIGHT and i like you can see it better...it "looks" like it lights quicker then the tails...

·
Registered
902 Posts
it "looks" like it lights quicker then the tails
Probably that split second it takes for the filaments to glow in a standard bulb. Not sure, but I bet the LED's react at close to the speed of light!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Oh by the way... the wiring harness adapter is part # 118384 and is for '09 & up Dodge Rams - it looks like the below.
Mark, am I correct in assuming that the adapters just plug into the front and you run the 4 pin someplace out of the way ?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
After finishing the first cup o coffee of the day I can read now and I'm guessing that the factory 7/4 pin connectors are replaced with that harness which allows you to use a fire/ice bar without hardwiring anything unless you want to_Ok, there is no life before coffee

·
Registered
40,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It plugs in behind the bumper... so the outer plugs still can be used. Basically it gives you an extra 4-pin connection for light bars, etc.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts