Hemi Truck Club banner
841 - 856 of 856 Posts

·
Stu
21,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #841 ·
So, the TCM went out in the 03. Found a re-manufactured unit and it's on the way. The funny thing is, been driving it back and forth to work in trans limp mode for a month now... It's either 2nd or 3rd gear been driving it in. Just taking it easy on the take off. 2600rpm's at 50mph. The trans isn't overheating at all. 130 to 140 degree's. I've started driving the 05 back and forth from work now. Got to get some engine break-in mile on the 05. She's running good.

·
Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,149 Posts
Still driving the 03 with 1st and 3rd gear around town... Haven't had time to actually take a good look at the 03.
I'm surprised the truck is still moving.. I bet if you were to take the RPMs up a little bit you will get a miss shift like you were shifting it manually and missed the gear.

Reactions: SUPER BEE

·
Stu
21,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #851 ·
Driving in 3rd gear most of the time. Only used 1st gear to drive up my driveway from a dead stop. The 03 has 4:56 gears. Moves easy in 3rd gear. Been driving it back and forth from work in town up to 50-55mph. 2600 to 2800 rpm. The trans only gets up to 140-150 degrees. Work is seven miles away. Light throttle only. Stock 05 trans...

·
Stu
21,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #853 ·
Finally got some time to do some research on the 03 trans trouble codes. Turned out to be the transmission relay going bad. Swapped it with the fog lamp relay and verified it was bad. The 03 trans is shifting as it should now. :)

Work sucks... The company I work for is falling apart. They're trying to make people do way more work then they can handle and doesn't reflect in the pay. Nobody wants to work there anymore. We're losing people left and right. Even managers are leaving. And of course the people that are still working there are getting overloaded due to the lack of help. Can't wait to go part time next year.

·
Red Trucker
339 Posts
Finally got some time to do some research on the 03 trans trouble codes. Turned out to be the transmission relay going bad. Swapped it with the fog lamp relay and verified it was bad. The 03 trans is shifting as it should now. :)
This literally just happened to me (and I did the same relay swap lol). Had to order some spares because somehow none of the parts stores in this area carry that relay.

·
Stu
21,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #855 ·
When I checked it the first time, the relay was working and the trans was shifting correctly at that point. Didn't check it again after it went into limp mode. :rolleyes: Swapped in one of the oem relays and put the auto parts relay on my fog lamp system.

·
Red Trucker
339 Posts
When I checked it the first time, the relay was working and the trans was shifting correctly at that point. Didn't check it again after it went into limp mode. :rolleyes: Swapped in one of the oem relays and put the auto parts relay on my fog lamp system.
Mine went into limp mode and actually threw the code for the relay. I swapped relays with the fogs and discovered that relay was dead as a doornail.

841 - 856 of 856 Posts