Hemi Truck Club banner
801 - 820 of 839 Posts

·
Tom
301 Posts
Doesn't really explain the downshift weakness exactly. Speaks of alot of possible improvements and weakness. There are lots of autos that can be stomped on at any point in a shift pattern and take the abuse. This one cannot. We shouldn't have to feather a throttle to pass on the interstate or anytime above 45 mph or pull a shifter down or some Houdini shift trick. If I wanted to shift manually I would put in a manual and clutch.

·
John
4,154 Posts
Doesn't really explain the downshift weakness exactly. Speaks of alot of possible improvements and weakness. There are lots of autos that can be stomped on at any point in a shift pattern and take the abuse. This one cannot. We shouldn't have to feather a throttle to pass on the interstate or anytime above 45 mph or pull a shifter down or some Houdini shift trick. If I wanted to shift manually I would put in a manual and clutch.
I agree with you, it sucks having to drive carefully knowing if you forget a step in downshifting, you could fry the tranny. I have had a couple of GM trucks that the trannys held up to 400+ hp. I could at any speed put the gas pedal to the floor, and I knew those trucks were going to downshift with zero problems. Now I have had to replace the tranny in my 07' quad cab 1500 because the original tranny lost 4th gear, 4th gear clutches, and OD clutches. This seems to be a built in fail point on our trucks.

·
Slow Memeber
5,513 Posts
Your spot on, still smoke n mirrors as far as I’m concerned. At this point we’re waiting on Stu to do the true testing so we can see some results.

·
Tom
301 Posts
Sounds like the copilot might work as long as you spend 3k to 5 k on a trans to use with it. Bada are you using copilot with a trans other than ATS? Chris I haven't pulled mine out yet to see what's up. I know if I'm cruising 60 mph and give light throttle it slips and chunks down to 2ndp then puts me into limp. I'm sure OD is fried but dont know about 4th pack. I have to turn OD on then back off to get truck into 2ndp before I can accelerate. Bet the problem is in apply pistons in od/ud/rev packs all being in same drum. With multiple pistons in that drum to apply. One engaging one disengaging causing the slip. I think it is all in the timing of those circuits. Poorly done. Not line pressure. Did the 45rfe have same issue. I know it doesn't have our 5th gear.

·
Administrator
17,957 Posts
the 45rfe 545rfe 65 rfe and i believe 66rfe are the exact same trans to a T only diff is they use prime gears for normal upshifts also. they are all junk regardless of what you do i am still not gonna trust one to hold what my a518 does. i can roll 45 and lay into it and it holds it does not burn up it does not slip. i made a video of me doing that and posted it on here in the trans thread im pretty sure. my a518 stage three in auto form held 605hp to the tire all day long drive it how ever you wanted to loved it now im full manual for more cointrol is all!

·
Mark G Senior Member
03Ram Stock & 05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,048 Posts
I have both ATS transmission and co-pilot. the transmission is the newest updated 545 Clint has available at this time. The 545 has been retrofitted with all of the 68 parts.. included with the Billet shaft parts... And every single clutch and steel that they use is made in house. I'm sorry but you guys do not have all of the facts...... the co-pilot will not work properly on a wore-out transmission. and as far as the total cost I'm not sure. Call ATS for a quote. And tell him that I sent you there.....

·
Greg
20,040 Posts
Mark, looks like you are beating on pretty hard. Hope it works for you....

Reactions: ric3xrt

·
Mark G Senior Member
2,048 Posts
It had about 700 miles on it when I made that video... And that's after the blast I made on I-95 from 70 to 130 mph which caused the ring and pinion to start whining.

·
Mark G Senior Member
2,048 Posts
All I can say is Clint is committed to making this transmission the best that it could possibly be.. He is not joking around that's a very large company with a lot of R&D and they're spending every dime they need to spend to make this thing work... If nothing else you got to respect somebody for taking the time and effort to create a package that will withstand a bunch of abuse! And then they offer a 5 year 500000 mile warranty no questions asked.

·
Tom
301 Posts
700 miles is not a lot of testing. We'll see how long it holds up. I wish you the best of luck. I am not going for a crap shoot at $3k-$5k. Other guys have tried to build it and failed. The downshift still seems harsh. I can get proven strength for half that with a few mods.

·
Mark G Senior Member
2,048 Posts
if you can build something for half the money then that's what you need to do....... why bash somebody who is trying to make something work that would never even be capable of doing what I did in the video... and I'm still using that same transmission.

·
Tom
301 Posts
All I can say is Clint is committed to making this transmission the best that it could possibly be.. He is not joking around that's a very large company with a lot of R&D and they're spending every dime they need to spend to make this thing work... If nothing else you got to respect somebody for taking the time and effort to create a package that will withstand a bunch of abuse! And then they offer a 5 year 500000 mile warranty no questions asked.
I don't know I seem to remember reading somewhere on this forum someone had issue with the "WARRANTY". Hey I give the guy props for throwing all that time and money into R&D. It seems like those resources could have been better spent on something other than 545/68 turd. I guess these are the only weak tranmissions out there and he had nothing better to do. Hell I could rebuild 5 stage 3 46rh/a518 for the cost of one of his rigs. If he could fix it and make it affordable for the normal JOE that would be great. These units are out of reach for a lot of people. Not trying to bash his stuff. Just don't think he has enough time in how long it will really last.

·
Mark G Senior Member
2,048 Posts
You are an individual who is buying aftermarket parts... They are a huge business that makes everything for that transmission in house... Of course it's not going to be cheap... But if you cannot run a 46 / a518 you have no choice....

·
Tom
301 Posts
You are an individual who is buying aftermarket parts... They are a huge business that makes everything for that transmission in house... Of course it's not going to be cheap... But if you cannot run a 46 / a518 you have no choice....
true just cant stomach paying for one part that is unproven that is more than half the value of the vehicle it goes in

·
Mark G Senior Member
2,048 Posts
well then you would be sick to know how much money the rest of these guys on this forum have in their 03 to 05 trucks including me... that would be a drop in the bucket...

801 - 820 of 839 Posts