Hemi Truck Club banner
781 - 800 of 839 Posts

·
Tom
301 Posts
Well I read all 142 and added some to it. Good stuff. Now I have a decision to make. 545 vs 518/46rh! Cost wise it sounds like I could do either for about the same price. I have built a 46re for my old 96 I had pretty easy. That was my first added a few since then. The thing that bothers me about the 545 is the downshift weakness as I like to romp on it any time.

·
Tom
301 Posts
Mine will actually shift into 4th with OD off cruising light load on engine. Dont know why. Probanly shouldn't. Some say there's won't mine does. So I cannot romp on it without a quick on and off of OD button.

·
Administrator
17,957 Posts
With the 545rfe rolling @45mph pull the lever back to 2nd wait for two kick downs and that’s second gear then you can punch it. Shift to drive at desired rpm while still wot and around 4800-5000 rpm pull the shifter back to second the truck will see that’s an impossible thing to do and hold third gear till redline if you wish. This also works from a dig drag racing did it for years that way. 1-2 manually then 2-d around 48-5k range back to 2 and holds third thru the traps in 1/4 mile

·
Slow Memeber
5,513 Posts
Yes, it does that with an 05 pcm. That's why it's also important to put Red Eagle clutches in 4th clutch pack. But, if you do "Keith's Down Shift Trick" it will hold in 3rd gear. :thumb:
This “trick” has been around/ discovered since these trucks were out. I remember learning it from Josh when I first got my truck and seeing threads on dodgetalk

Just don’t let it run up to 6200 in 3rd wot an put it in D, I did that an the trans **** the bed

·
Mark G Senior Member
03Ram Stock & 05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,048 Posts
As long as the ATS copilot is working you should not have to do any tricks...... as it will provide the needed oil pressure to prevent the clutches from slipping.

·
Greg
20,040 Posts
I would think tuning should prevent od engagement while at wot.

·
Tyler
592 Posts
I have been able to install a trans tune in my 05 pcm. I was thinking about changing the shift point for 4th to a rpm it will never see and then pray it doesn't shift... I would like to have more of my 518 parts purchased before I try this.

·
Tom
301 Posts
I have been able to install a trans tune in my 05 pcm. I was thinking about changing the shift point for 4th to a rpm it will never see and then pray it doesn't shift... I would like to have more of my 518 parts purchased before I try this.
I have one PCM where I can only adjust shift points with diablo. this one has SRS and Brake light on dash. I think a VIN flash will fix lights. Still cant pull a backup off with diablo for Keith to work with. My other PCM can"t do noting but engine tuning. Hey Greg and I talked. Does anyone know if the 96 ram had a stand alone TCM for the 46re? I had one and can't recall. I looked online and can't get a definitive answer.

·
Tom
301 Posts
As long as the ATS copilot is working you should not have to do any tricks...... as it will provide the needed oil pressure to prevent the clutches from slipping.
I didn't think getting higher line pressure was the issue. I thought it's the timing of the downshift from overdrive gears to 2nd Prime being the issue. Meaning the apply of 2nd clutch overlap with the release of OD clutch.

Reactions: ric3xrt

·
Mark G Senior Member
2,048 Posts
I didn't think getting higher line pressure was the issue. I thought it's the timing of the downshift from overdrive gears to 2nd Prime being the issue. Meaning the apply of 2nd clutch overlap with the release of OD clutch.
nope that's not exactly what the issue is... the biggest problem is the line pressure not able to hold the clutches from slipping... Watch some of the ATS videos and you will see where Clint covers the real issues.

·
Mark G Senior Member
2,048 Posts
We will need to finish testing it before we can make a statement like that....
As far as I am concerned the ATS copilot works and now it's just a matter of what horsepower level it will fail at.

·
Tom
301 Posts
nope that's not exactly what the issue is... the biggest problem is the line pressure not able to hold the clutches from slipping... Watch some of the ATS videos and you will see where Clint covers the real issues.
in 5th od, 2c applied
in 4th od, 4c applied
in 2nd prime ud, 4c applied
in 2nd ud, 2c applied
Ok so going from 5th all the way to 2ndp seems worse then 4th down. 5th down you release 2 and apply 2. 4th only 1 and 1. What I don't get is we are frying our overdrive pack when downshifting like this. When OD clutch is not being applied for that shift but releasing. I would think 2c 5th and 4c 4th either way would be the weak link until UD is applied. Is OD burning up when releasing before UD kicks in?:facepalm:

781 - 800 of 839 Posts