Hemi Truck Club banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Ariel
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think of this kit? Is it worth the cost? I kinda think its too expensive but not sure? Ive been thinking of buying all the parts as funds allow until I have everything i need to get the swap done. I need to get this done to have better control of the pre boost/ trans shifting issue I've been experiencing for a while now. What do you guys think it’ll cost to get everything from trans to all the parts needed to make it strong?

https://www.coperacingtrans.com/?product=crts-545rfe-to-46re-swap-kit-4x4-gen-3-hemi

·
Greg
20,037 Posts
I have issues with John Cope, he owes me money and is not trust worthy from the dealings I've had with him. The flex plate is around $115, starter motor around $185. Floor shifter (??) you can make up your cooling lines. Cross member just needs the mounting holes elongated. Drive shaft fits. Keith is the forum goto guy for this conversion. Martin Saine IMO the goto guy for 700hp - 1000+ hp trans and ultra billet converters rated for 1000+hp transbrakes.
My recommendation is build your own kit....

·
Stu
21,379 Posts
Just my opinion...

Go with an ATS built 545rfe and Copilot. ATS really has gotten the 545rfe trans problems worked out. Really happy with my ATS setup. It shifts nice and it's holding the power. And it works great with a 3000 stall tc.

Key note: ATS uses the Smart Tech hub as well. :whistling:

But, if you instantiate on using the 46re. Keith is your man. :thumb:

·
Ariel
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have issues with John Cope, he owes me money and is not trust worthy from the dealings I've had with him. The flex plate is around $115, starter motor around $185. Floor shifter (??) you can make up your cooling lines. Cross member just needs the mounting holes elongated. Drive shaft fits. Keith is the forum goto guy for this conversion. Martin Saine IMO the goto guy for 700hp - 1000+ hp trans and ultra billet converters rated for 1000+hp transbrakes.
My recommendation is build your own kit....
Thanks i thought i remembered reading about Cope owing you money. I figured the kit might be overpriced. I do plan on piecing together my own kit then handing it off to Keith for the build. Moneys tight lately if not id buy all the parts at once. Gonna start looking for a 46re. If i find one does it need to be off a 4x4 truck since id like to keep my 4x4 working?

Reactions: kcd1369

·
Ariel
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just my opinion...

Go with an ATS built 545rfe and Copilot. ATS really has gotten the 545rfe trans problems worked out. Really happy with my ATS setup. It shifts nice and it's holding the power. And it works great with a 3000 stall tc.

Key note: ATS uses the Smart Tech hub as well. :whistling:

But, if you instantiate on using the 46re. Keith is your man. :thumb:
Thanks Stu ive thought about the ATS but if I remember correctly I don't think i can swing the price on one.

·
Tyler
592 Posts
After owning an eight speed and now with the swap being possible for our gen 3 trucks I would say to give it some thought. It isn't cheap though but I have more than double into my 545 as I have currently into my eight speed.

·
Ariel
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just found a note I saved on my phone saying I need a 46RH but i don't remember why. Maybe to keep the 4x4?

·
Mark G Senior Member
03Ram Stock & 05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,044 Posts
I am using the ATS 545 with a co-pilot it does work very well! but the 46rh would probably be a much cheaper alternative.

·
Greg
20,037 Posts
I am using the ATS 545 with a co-pilot it does work very well! but the 46rh would probably be a much cheaper alternative.
And stronger... althrough big hp (500+) requires aftermarket components running the cost up.

·
Administrator
17,956 Posts
Your going to need a a518/46rh from a 4x4. This way you don’t need to have a module to control it. Your factory t case and shafts will all work just fine.

The rebuild kit for the 700hp is really not that expensive from transmission center. The flex and all the little odds and ends are way cheaper to get yourself.

·
Greg
20,037 Posts
Keith are you building your own manual valve body?

·
Ariel
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your going to need a a518/46rh from a 4x4. This way you don’t need to have a module to control it. Your factory t case and shafts will all work just fine.

The rebuild kit for the 700hp is really not that expensive from transmission center. The flex and all the little odds and ends are way cheaper to get yourself.

When i look for a 46rh im just looking for the trans alone or does it need to have anything with it like a harness?

Which kit do you recommend? I looked but wasn't sure which one.

·
Ariel
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Administrator
17,956 Posts

·
Greg
20,037 Posts
After owning an eight speed and now with the swap being possible for our gen 3 trucks I would say to give it some thought. It isn't cheap though but I have more than double into my 545 as I have currently into my eight speed.
Curious, what controller is being used with the 8spd swap?

·
Ariel
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
https://transmissioncenter.net/shop...level-3-extreme-duty-mega-viper-transmission/

Get this kit if you want to turn it up some. Use the kit you posted if you want to be Able to drive the truck around and beat on it a little bit more than you are now.
So I don't plan on taking it to the track unless maybe on a group meet here and there but I do need it to be reliable and capable of driving cross state lines if needed while still having street performance and torque. Is the 46rh swap a reliable swap? Or is it more of a daily/race truck type swap?

With that said do you think this kits a better option or will the other be good enough

·
Greg
20,037 Posts
I use a Martin Saine built 46re with manual valve body. Red I believe was the first to do this conversion and I'm still on the first trans. I did change to Martin's Ultra billet 9" converter 3500 stall. It makes a very streetable combo and I can drive it using only 3rd gear for stop and go and then lock the converter and OD for highway. With 3:91 gear and 31"x16" tire I can still punch it and spin the tires from a stand still.. Make for a very fun truck...

Reactions: bada44 and kcd1369
1 - 20 of 64 Posts