Hemi Truck Club banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning,

I am new to the forum. I recently acquired a 2005 dodge ram 1500 4X4 5.7l HEMI for a damn good price. 177,000 miles. The catch is that the motor is blown. The guy was driving home one day and his oil pressure dropped and it started "clanking". This is the only info I have. He said it still runs but I won't dare to start it up. With that being said, I am needing some advice/guidance. I would like to rebuild it. I a have experience rebuilding older bus engines, and four wheeler engines. I have never tackled something like this. Are they any "must have" rebuild guides that go step by step so I don't forget anything? Is there anything specific to the HEMI that I need to look for when I get in? I plan to get the engine out and tear it apart. I am going to send the block and heads to get them checked out. I am wanting to rebuild bone stock, and on a budget. I looked at rebuild kits on eBay but not exactly sure what I want, and I dont really want to order off ebay. The other option is to get a remanufactured engine. Pretty expensive but comes with a warranty. Please help me weigh my options!!!!

-Charles

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you mean rebuild it myself or get a rebuilt (reman) engine? I'm confident as long as I have good instructions that I can do this myself with good quality. I'm just a little concerned being that I've never done it before missing some small things...

·
Greg
20,008 Posts
I would say a long block or a used engine. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
You'll be $$$ a head with a complete used engine. A friend of mine bought one not to long ago from a local salvage yard for $700 that included a 6 mo unlimited mi warrenty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow thats cheap. I priced one used engine at a local salvage yard. 100000 miles he and he wanted 2300, I thought that was a little high!!!

·
Greg
20,008 Posts
Long block is engine with heads, short block is without the heads. From the questions you are asking, I would say you are better off buying a used engine and just install it. Good luck..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ah that's right! It would be way easier to just buy a used engine and install it I agree, however, if it is cost effective to rebuild the one I have then I need to do that as funds are low... story of my life..

·
Greg
20,008 Posts
ah that's right! It would be way easier to just buy a used engine and install it I agree, however, if it is cost effective to rebuild the one I have then I need to do that as funds are low... story of my life..
IMO it is far cheaper to install a used engine than to rebuild one, especially when you lack specific experience with this engine and possibly don't have parts laying around to assist with the build. Get some prices for a remanufactured engine and you will get the idea of the costs associated with rebuilding the engine. Now with that said, you may very well "fix" your engine spending less then a replacing it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the advice. I live in IA so if anyone knows of any engines that are a decent price please let me know!

@Ghost03Hemi - Thank you for the support and the info.

·
Gary
904 Posts
Welcome. I would get a used motor. You have no idea if the one in your truck can even be saved without opening it up. When my motor went I just dropped a valve when the spring let go. Rebuilt the heads and was all fixed. Lower end problem is a totally different mess.

Attachments

·
Greg
20,008 Posts
Welcome. I would get a used motor. You have no idea if the one in your truck can even be saved without opening it up. When my motor went I just dropped a valve when the spring let go. Rebuilt the heads and was all fixed. Lower end problem is a totally different mess.

That's all true, need to get the motor out and inspect the lower end. I have repaired more than one old beater by just changing some bad bearings and buttoning them back up to die another day. It's great to do primo rebuilds but there are also times when a repair is good enough.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the info and support guys! I found an engine with 63000 miles. It's out of the same year of truck only it was a 2500. It looks like the coil packs are a little different, but every else looks the same. I will find more out with I start taking it apart. only $1500! Its the best deal I found. I am having trouble finding a step by step on engine removal for this truck but looking at it it looks like a pretty simple operation. Where is the best place to hook up the engine hoist? Should I take the tranny too? Please any info on this swap would be very beneficial for me. Thanks again.

·
Gold-Member
4,176 Posts
Thanks for the info and support guys! I found an engine with 63000 miles. It's out of the same year of truck only it was a 2500. It looks like the coil packs are a little different, but every else looks the same. I will find more out with I start taking it apart. only $1500! Its the best deal I found. I am having trouble finding a step by step on engine removal for this truck but looking at it it looks like a pretty simple operation. Where is the best place to hook up the engine hoist? Should I take the tranny too? Please any info on this swap would be very beneficial for me. Thanks again.
I have a Chilton's manual that I used and it was pretty precise with step by step instructions. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts