1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Greg
20,114 Posts
Brother you need a diesel...

·
Red Trucker
313 Posts
His advice is truer than you know, because without a severe amount of modification, you'd never be able to properly tune it. The joys of 2003 ownership. Best you can do is throw a 260 in it with some tuning, unless you're willing to either go standalone controller (in which case you could put a better trans in) or convert to the 2005 PCM & harness.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm good without a diesel, only need to pull a 12k trailer a few times a year, just need to get the most out of a 5.7 hemi block
no problem with
1. porting heads if needed
2. cam upgrade
3. ecm flashing
4. stroking

·
Greg
20,114 Posts
I've got two 03 pcm's with B&G flashs. One is for manual trans and the other is automatic trans that is turned off. These have 750 idle, 7000 limit and 140 mph. I used them when I was tuning my 03 with <6lbs of boost.. If interested send me a pm...

Reactions: arocketman

·
Red Trucker
313 Posts
I'm good without a diesel, only need to pull a 12k trailer a few times a year, just need to get the most out of a 5.7 hemi block
no problem with
1. porting heads if needed
2. cam upgrade
3. ecm flashing
4. stroking
1. That's nice
2. You're not listening
3. Can't get what you're looking for with your stock PCM. You have to be willing to not only completely change to a different year PCM, but you also have to tear your harness APART to REWIRE the whole thing to work with the newer PCM.
4. See above
So if you're good with tearing your engine harness apart and putting it back together differently with a few additions (or paying someone else to do it), then you can have your stroker, etc and actually have it work correctly. Or pay someone to put in a standalone. Regardless, IF you do the PCM/harness change and build your torque monster, your RFE will be on borrowed time, especially with the weight of a 1 ton.

I've got two 03 pcm's with B&G flashs. One is for manual trans and the other is automatic trans that is turned off. These have 750 idle, 7000 limit and 140 mph. I used them when I was tuning my 03 with <6lbs of boost.. If interested send me a pm...
Greg, is that manual trans PCM tuned/tunable besides the idle and limiters changed? Or still within the 2003 architecture?

·
Greg
20,114 Posts
It's a oem 03 2500 manual trans pcm. 03 pcm's are very limited in ability to tune. The B&G flash takes care of idle in many cases. But is still limited. Keith tuned it but we couldn't tune for above 5psi boost. I changed to an extremely rare 05 2500 manual pcm with again a B&G flash and CMR tune, It is now tuned using HP Tuning.. using an 03 pcm is a compromise at best..

·
Stu
21,535 Posts
I agree with them. Get a Diesel. It will tow that trailer the way it should be towed.
But, there 's a few things that you can do to make the 5.7 tow better. Gears, RV cam, long tube headers with a free flowing exhaust, Forge the engine and raise up the compression ratio to 10.5 to 10.8:1. 05 pcm. Custom tuning and bigger injectors. Don't recommend going boosted. There isn't a steady pull from n/a to boosting in our pcm's. Maybe go with a Holley EFI.
In any case, your going to dump a bunch of money and time into it and it still wont tow as good as a diesel will and you wont be satisfied with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with them. Get a Diesel. It will tow that trailer the way it should be towed.
But, there 's a few things that you can do to make the 5.7 tow better. Gears, RV cam, long tube headers with a free flowing exhaust, Forge the engine and raise up the compression ratio to 10.5 to 10.8:1. 05 pcm. Custom tuning and bigger injectors. Don't recommend going boosted. There isn't a steady pull from n/a to boosting in our pcm's. Maybe go with a Holley EFI.
In any case, your going to dump a bunch of money and time into it and it still wont tow as good as a diesel will and you wont be satisfied with it.
Interesting idea. I also thought about adding power to my car, I found a good resource with Performance Upgrades for 5.7 HEMI RAM 1500 nashvilleperformance.com/performance-upgrades-for-5-7-hemi-ram-1500/, I already have options on how to do this with quality parts, I will share later

1 - 13 of 13 Posts