Hemi Truck Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’ve been trying to gather information on successfully swapping a 46RE into my 2006 ram 1500 4x4. My truck was tuned by Jay Greene. I do not have a diablo e or any tuner aside from HPTUNER. 545rfe lasted about a week on casual driving. I’ve since talked to Martin saine. He’s in the process of building the 46re. He mentions that he doesn’t have much experience on 46re swap on 4x4. He’s build them for people but not so much in house. Since the 06’ PCM differs than the 03 as I’ve read what exactly can be done about wiring the neutral safety switch , reverse lamps? What’s a recommended source for switch’s for OD and TC lock up?. I orders a b&m ratchet. Since I have a tune with my current motor(procharger) can I still run engine and trans with it? I do live in nj so I would need to pass. Would i need a PCM with manual transmission and have it reflashed? Forgive my ignorance but is there a TCM involved? What do I do with harness from 545rfe? I found a 46re trans adapter plate but cannot find a mount(doesn’t look like the one posted on 46re swap thread.
I had the big 3500 trans cooler and steel line from 545rfe. Can I just get away from installing 6an hose into 545rfe steel lines? Sorry if this is redundant, with 3 kids full time job I just need to get my truck back on road and it’s hard to get any information especially if something new has come
Out. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
'05 Boosted 426 & '14 4X4
12,593 Posts
Someone with that experience / knowledge may yet reply.

·
Chris
2,118 Posts
I’ll try to hit a few points I can help with.
I can’t help much with what passes emissions testing and checks. Removing the 545 and changing the wiring around will throw several check engine codes, so if you have to have those gone for emissions, then you most likely have to have it flashed to a manual, or get lucky and find an actual manual PCM that doesn’t include the TCM.

The switches can be anything you want, mine is just a simple toggle switch for on/off mounted in a convenient location. Make sure it’s easy to reach as you’ll be using it frequently.

I seem to recall something very small was changed in the engine tune, some parameter turned off so it wasn’t looking for a Trans anymore. Maybe Keith could help with that if he sees this.

My transmission harness was just cut off and abandoned, it wasn’t worth stripping the whole thing out of the cable loom.

Use the factory crossmember support, but you’ll need the actual bracket off a 46re/2nd Gen truck that goes from the overdrive housing to the crossmember. Try a pick and pull yard if you have any around.

I can’t remember specific part numbers, but I just used AN fittings and adapters to go off the nipples on the trans cooler lines to convert to AN line. Haven’t had any issues yet. The only thing I think I did was had to drill and tap AN fittings into the transmission side instead of using the whatever the factory hookups were on the 46re.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the response. The trans won’t be here for another 3 weeks so I’m just trying to get whatever I need ready for install. So I can’t really work off anything but a few posts here. Since I have an 06’ pcm, would I need a manual PCM from which model/ year rams?
I purchased a adapter bracket for trans but will the 06’ 545rfe transmission work or would I need a trans mount from a 46re to mount on my stock crossmember. I’m assuming a starter for 1999 ram 1500 4x4 work?
Trans dipstick tubes are no where to be found. Would a tube from a 46re(Dodge Dakota) fit? I checked lokar and there doesn’t seem to be any definitive answer.

Would you happen to have any pics of your trans cooler line setup?

Lastly, I read you have the pace setter LT’s. Are yours ceramic coated? Did you have to shave off trim from bell housing? Trans cooler lines interfere close to pacesetter y pipe or headers?

·
Super Moderator
'05 Boosted 426 & '14 4X4
12,593 Posts
I had to trim the Bell Housing for the LT's.
The Ceramic coating looked great for a few years until they turned milky (for lack of a better term).

·
Chris
2,118 Posts
I had to trim the Bell Housing for the LT's.
The Ceramic coating looked great for a few years until they turned milky (for lack of a better term).
You trimmed the bell housing for the 545rfe, that interference isn’t there with a 46re trans swap

·
Chris
2,118 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
40E5D844-9EC5-4DAE-BDB0-4DF9B9350877.jpeg I have and really appreciate it. I just realized you havea cross member that accommodates a torsion setup. Mine is different. My 06’ mount looks like this

I’m curious if I’d have to use a mount for 03 ram and if studs match up to crossmember?

·
Super Moderator
10,603 Posts
Welcome to our Hemi Truck Club family!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you.
Has any member successfully swapped a 46re on a later 3rd gen Ram? 06-08?
I’ve searched and haven’t seen any. Most notably is the 03’ to 05’ PCM swap. As mentioned I’m new to the Dodge Ram family(previously Chevy) and did not know what I was getting myself into. Read a wealth of information about the 545rfe which had high hopes from 10 years ago and up until now which seems the 46re was the best cheapest way. Though there is little information about later models, as though the 06-08 models are the black sheep of the family. While continuing to do searches there’s very little info on 06-08(hemi) models unless it pertains to diesels which is disconcerting. I’m trying to narrow down info as what I may come across seeing as this will be new territory to me. We don’t have a sniff test for our inspection but they do check for CEL lamps. I am curious as to know if what CEL code may occur once i install the 46re. Where to wire the neutral safety switch or reverse lamp. I’m assuming 06’ PCM already have a TCM integrated and I would just need a PCM from an 06-08 ram manual transmission, have it reflashed and have my tune(HPTUNER) installed and go from there?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts