Hemi Truck Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, my name is Len and I had a couple of questions. I have a 2007 dodge ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7 hemi that got totaled and I have a 2005 dodge ram 1500 Quad Cab 4.7 truck that has 251,000 miles. I was wondering if I could take the 2007 5.7 hemi motor and put it into the 2005 4.7 both identical trucks but different size motors. What will i need and I have both trucks in my yard.

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
Len16

:WelcomeBanner1:

It can be done but may not be as easy as you might think...PCM and electrical issues come to mind...perhaps others that have actually done this swap will chime-in soon :thumb:.

:Kneel2Hemi:

·
Enormous Member
1,154 Posts
In the Dakota world this is the desired swap. It is much easier to go to a hemi in a truck that was originally a 4.7 than it is one of the old 5.2 or 5.9 engines. I'd think it would be pretty much the same here. You'll definitely need tuning assistance at the very least.

·
Greg
19,957 Posts
Welcome to the forum, the first thing I would recommend is downloading the 05 and 07 service manual and print the pinouts to compare side by side. If you have MDS then you will have to figure out what needs to be done to incorporate or delete. it. Let us know what you find. Good luck..

·
Administrator
17,830 Posts
the engine is the easy part that just bolts rite in. it even uses the same sensors I believe. the wiring I the fun part although I don't believe its to bad at all. PM "DakotaJ" he has the 4.7 Dakota swapped to a 392 in his truck currently now and running. he did have some wiring to figure out.

·
Greg
19,957 Posts
Does the 07 have MDS?

·
Greg
19,957 Posts
Len, do you want to keep the MDS functional?

·
James
1,496 Posts
This should be an easy swap unless I'm missing something. Switch the engine, PCM, electrical harness for the motor and tranny, and the gas pedal if it's stil drive by cable style. Since you have a donor truck, the swap should be straight forward without having to modify a anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Swapping my 4.7 with a 5.7 HEMI IN NEED OF HELP

I am swaping my 4.7 with a 5.7 HEMI the motor is out of a 04 Durango will the 04 harness from any dodge truck work or dose it have to be from a 2WD mine is 2WD not 4WD and what are other parts that i will need and i have a ECM from a 04 Durango will that work

·
Greg
19,957 Posts
What are you putting the 04 hemi motor into?

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
I am swaping my 4.7 with a 5.7 HEMI the motor is out of a 04 Durango will the 04 harness from any dodge truck work or dose it have to be from a 2WD mine is 2WD not 4WD and what are other parts that i will need and i have a ECM from a 04 Durango will that work
----------------------------------------

:welcome-0005a: NGTCRAM

·
Greg
19,957 Posts
It doesn't matter to the engine and trans if it's 2wd or 4wd. The same trans is used with different tail housings.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts