Hemi Truck Club banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Best advice needed plz, too much non technical advice out there, need to know if ANY real gains will be had.

2003 dodge ram 2500 crew cab, hemi 5.7 currently, 4x4, 3:73 gears.

I may be doing a dt360 swap or modifying the 5.7 hemi, but I'm just curious on the gains of upgrading the gear ratio....is it worth it or not.

Daily driver! So gas mileage is a thing, I tow regular 10k at interstate speeds 70mph.

Looking for that little extra torque when hitting inclines, on ramps etc, I also snowplow with this truck.

Is it worth the cost of parts to upgrade from 3:73 to a 4:10 or 4:56 ratio? Running stock tires year round. Which would be better for retaining or gaining the best mpg at interstate speeds with a little bump in torque? Any ideas of the mpg loss I could see by changing to one of those ratios?

As it stands now with 10,000 pounds behind me I run at 70mph and even a small grade slows me to 60mph pretty quickly and throws me out of overdrive. I do run a larger trans cooler already.

Just need to know any real benefit or potential loss of running a 4:10 or 4:56 ratio in it at highway speeds while towing. My towing trips average 450 miles round-trip weekly on interstate, so dropping to 55-60mph and overdrive kicking out is kind of sucking! I can stand losing some mpg but hopefully nothing drastic for whatever gain I'd get in torque/speed.

·
Red Trucker
332 Posts
4:10 isn't an option for that differential lol. 3.73 or 4.56, take your pick. You're not supposed to tow with OD engaged unless you are high enough speed/level enough ground. All that in and out of OD is prematurely wearing out the OD clutch set in your RFE and you will most likely lose OD in the not too distant future.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts