Hemi Truck Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone, new member here trying to get some help and clarification with my engine over haul.
I had a lifter in #8 cylinder go bad and eat a big groove in my cam lobe, ordered a replacement kit thinking my truck was non mds with the vvt. Either way, I’m at the point now to where I’ve installed all new bearings, non mds lifters, heads and gaskets, the new non mds cam. I’m having questions about the cam, lifters, & timing.
Can I move forward with the non mds cam and lifters? Will that mess up the engine in anyway?
Is there actually a difference between mds and non mds lifters?
While trying to install the timing chain, the dowel pin on the end of the cam shaft sits at 3 o'clock. That puts my cam gear timing mark at 12 o’clock with the crankshaft timing mark at 6 o’clock. My question is, do I need to worry about the location of the dowel pin on the cam? Does it have to be at 12 o’clock? Or should I go solely by the timing marks on the gears?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Red Trucker
280 Posts
Hurt it no. The PCM will just throw a code because it literally cannot put the engine in MDS mode. Easily fixed with a custom tune. Yes there is very much a difference between non and MDS lifters. Half of them are the same. The other half (in an MDS set) for cylinders 1, 4, 6 & 7 are actuated by the solenoids after signal from the PCM and collapse. Timing chain: https://www.timingbeltreplace.com/dodge-hemi-5-7-replacing-the-timing-chain/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts