Hemi Truck Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2004 GTX
109 Posts
John glad to see you made it over to here, Go in to Engine Diag disable code P0700..it'll pop up once in a while.

the Getrag 238 is stronger trans , might want to look for one of those, if the NV takes a crap, besides the drive shaft it's a straight replacement.

The Nv3500 will last longer then most people think, just watch that 2nd to 3rd "speed shifting" , we have a local guy here with an 03 QC 4x2 that ric3xrt did the swap to about 5 years ago now. (that was a Real pig V6 5sp qc4x2) truck runs a mild eagle head 5.7, 6.1cam LX intake, with 05 ECU swap, he brought it by and we "freshened up" the trans about 5 months ago, needed input bearing , we replaced all bearings , gears looked good.

My youngest kid had an 95slt ram 5.2 5 speed had the NV3500HD, the one with the horrible ratio spread between 2 and 3rd gear, swapped it out for the std ratio NV3500 it lasted about 3 years behind a 400hp 5.2 , my kid drove it more on the Mature side then most people, but it did see it's fair share of track use, always street tires, dropped the 3rd gear shift fork a few times after he bought the truck... in-till he learned to shift .... blew the 9.25 twice 1st was Ma Mopar's fault, 2nd was his ...... but that NV lasted till the 440/T56 swap.

It won't take any 4k rpm clutch drops with 29X10.50 slicks and clatracs/single leaf rear set up.

· Registered
2004 GTX
109 Posts
I'll add this if anyone comes by in the future, you can run the 5.7 Hemi on the 4.7 ECU , lots of the tables need to be changed over.

· Registered
2004 GTX
109 Posts
Just a reminder!
it's all good, I was just thinking about it,

1st thing pre 04 is to know if the 4.7 PCM is 3 or 4 connector. 3 is 16 tooth and 4 is 32 tooth.

02's are Not reasonable to do, it can be and it has been, but the 5.7 was built from the "stand up" to be put in that truck, The 32 tooth tone wheel will not work in the 02 4.7s vehicles....this project a 16 tooth tone wheel was machined for it. other then that it used Drive by wire which helped because there are tables missing that are needed but are not in the OEM program, and they all deal with Idle control everything else is there it just needs to be rescaled
03's Ironically a 4.7 with a Hemi swap is easier to tune then a ORG 5.7 truck(see 04/05) .....before Syked tuning was sued by HPtuners you could use their(his) system to tune 5.7 03s but other then that it's a No go for the 03 Hemi., Maybe a CMR(diablo) tuner can work that one out......the 03 4.7 Program is as basic as the older 5.2/5.9gas , but it becomes a tone wheel issue again....16 vs 32.
04/05s and some 06's , 90% of the tables are there, they just need values changed to 5.7 tuning values....the tables that are" not there" or readily available, and Help a tremendous amount with Idle are Engine>Idle> Airflow and Engine>Driver demand> Pedal Characteristics , Now they are there but you need a User Defined Parameters License to unlock, (same with some of the RFE tables, but that's different nightmare) you can Hit up someone like Flying Ryan, I know in the past he's "unlocked those tables" for people.....not cheap but you have to weigh the pros and cons of knowledge/experience vs doing it your self and not getting it right....you're not going to hurt anything with the DIY approach, but it's a PIA .........Now With out the Airflow table , Idle is a nightmare to get smooth, it can be done with spark table and the Engine>Airflow>Electronic Throttle body model Table....... cams over 210ish @ 50 duration, need a lot of work and even then the bigger the @05 duration the more likely it will surge like an old school 90s Turbo car....or anything old school with a roots type blower..it's annoying. ....now the way around it is drive by wire, 04 and 05 it's doable , will not be a smooth as ORG 5.7 file ......now 06 drive by wire....I have no Idea, and I will not venture a guess

07/08 everything is there, all the tables you need plus RFE trans tuning.......it's the better 3rd gen ECU/PCM to do the swap with.
09/10 , it's the easiest of them all........as long as it's a pre VVT hemi.
11-13 I have no experience, would need to see a 4.7 tune file to work it out, but I know it's been done, there is a user on Moparts that did a 392 swap into an 2011 1500, and few 5.7s.
I built a TH400 for a guy out of NYC with a 2013 ram 4x2RCSB that has 411CI BIG A$$ whipple topped Hemi...that truck made 990HP @ 7700 with the 4.7 PCM.....sounded like a old school crackle Hemi at idle, but that throttle burb was just as nasty as a top fuel rail.

· Registered
2004 GTX
109 Posts
I wanted to add this, for 04/05 , there are people out there that will program your VIN into a new ECU/PCM(MoPower Calibrations | Chrysler | Dodge | Jeep | Custom Tuning ) formerly know as Skyed tuning

for roughly $80 ,........which is way cheaper then having a pro unlock the tables that help.... point is personally I think 04/05 it's easier to swap the 4.7 ECU over to a 5.7 ...unless it's a Manual trans Vs Auto deal and No CEL lights flashing ............ just food for thought.

· Registered
2004 GTX
109 Posts
All the "hidden tables" that are needed can be found with HPTuners, just need the "User Defined Parameters License" Which someone like Ryan will have.

Just finished up a 96 Dakota 5.7 Hemi swap, using the JTec computer , took a while to get it to work out, had to use a mopar P5153702 drag pak TB for the 5.9's on an Prefix single plane intake, the easy trick was getting the 5.2 flex plate and crank sensor location right....the hard trick was the Cam sensor, hacked ,modded, and other wise begged the distributor sensor and misc parts to play nice.....made the 2 inch primary header debacle look like piece of cake.

These 5.7s have a ton of power once you get all of the Modifiers and other emission crap out of the way,

As old as I am , I'm not a Carb is better then EFI type, but these G3 hemi(s) have some great power potential once you unleash them.....it's hard to beat the power of one of these with a Good Carb and a Hemi-6 MSD box....this 96 dak is as close to that as we are going to get with an OEM EFI system......But I digress and Hacked this thread toooooooo far from the OP's opening.

· Registered
2004 GTX
109 Posts
Just food for thought… I’m running an 05 Ram 4.7 PCM, using a Mopar Performance Drive by Cable Throttle Body. This comes with a factory Intake Air Control Valve, Throttle Position Sensor. It’s been many years since I did my swap, but the 04-05 Dakota share the same NGC PCM as the 05 4.7 Rams. In all actually 95% of the 4.7 and 5.7 PCM’s are identical pin for pin.
The 04 and Up Dakota have the 4 plug PCM/TCM combination. I will note DiabloSport didn’t support 04 4.7 Ram PCM for some reason. Maybe the 16 vs 32 tooth wheel, I’m not sure.
I remember reading about your a few years back, it was the deciding factor in the 1st one my youngest son did, he did an 04 for himself , then talked his older brother in to helping do one for his buddy.
I was wondering how yours was running, I always assumed your TB was the OEM style DBW and not the "4bbl" version ?
Personally I think if anyone wants to do the 4.7 to 5.7 swap in the 04/5 they are better off with the DBW set up, less hassle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts