Hemi Truck Club banner
1081 - 1100 of 1109 Posts

· Greg
20,332 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Would love some help with my swap. I keep it in storage as it doesnt run currently. I have 03 ram hemi with lots of mods and have hotwireauto create wireharness for 05. I then bought 05 pcm. Trouble im getting is with tuner install. I have superchips and diablo. When diablo is tried it locks up vin and have to send back to diablo each time. Superchips gives error when trying to load tune. Truck basically stalls without custom tune. The shop who did install was small town and now that I have places in KC to go Im wondering if anyone would be willing to work with local speed shop on phone to explain the process to them so they have an idea on what is needed.

· Greg
20,332 Posts
Did Hotwire custom make your harness or is it off the shelf? The main difference between the 03 pcm and the 05 pcm is the 05 has four O2s while the 03 has only two. 03 doesn't have egr where the 05 does. This is usually plugged and turned off in the tune. If you can scan the 05 pcm to identify any codes/errors. What VIN are you using? You might talk to Hotwire about providing a compatible 05 pcm to make the swap plug n play. Tell them you have a 05 pcm they can flash or use for trade-in (core). Are you doing any of the work yourself or is it all farmed out?

· Greg
20,332 Posts
Plus the 05 has the TCM intergrated into the pcm. I always forget that since I don't use a TCM. But your Hotwire harness should have populated plug C4 with the old TCM wiring....

· Gold-Member
4,147 Posts
:welcome-0005a:Hemipower2323 to HTC! :thumb:

· John
4,304 Posts
Would love some help with my swap. I keep it in storage as it doesnt run currently. I have 03 ram hemi with lots of mods and have hotwireauto create wireharness for 05. I then bought 05 pcm. Trouble im getting is with tuner install. I have superchips and diablo. When diablo is tried it locks up vin and have to send back to diablo each time. Superchips gives error when trying to load tune. Truck basically stalls without custom tune. The shop who did install was small town and now that I have places in KC to go Im wondering if anyone would be willing to work with local speed shop on phone to explain the process to them so they have an idea on what is needed.
:thumb::WelcomeBanner1::cowboy1_icon:

· Registered
8 Posts
*UPDATE**
I am w/in 1K miles of 100,000 miles on my Hemi swap (211,000 on the truck).

Last week I swapped to an '05 PCM (p56028958) and '05 downstream O2 sensors.

The PCM seller wrote my '04 Dakota VIN in the PCM as part of the purchase order and except for the P138/P158 codes that popped up (expectedly), I had no issues.

Everything is running great. I DID NOT see the need for a transmission quick learn. Shifting seems normal. Maybe a tad firmer, but feels great.

I monitored the O2 voltages before and after and the '04 down stream sensors do run at higher voltages compared to the '05s.

The plug on the harness is keyed different as well. A new (sharp) utility knife was used to remove the 1 of the 3 tabs on the harness plug to allow the '05 sensor to plug in.

Next is to work on fitting a pair of '06 JGC 6.1 SRT8 exhaust manifolds.

· Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,178 Posts
Your transmission may seem to be shifting correctly but the PCM is going to have the data from the transmission that was attached to it before yours .you can be risking the possibility that you may tear up your transmission without even knowing it. I would do the relearn if it were my transmission.

· Registered
1 Posts
We can tune the 2003 as it is its a tad tricky but can be done. If you swap to the 2005 comp I am not limited and can change a lot of stuff. If you boost it my 05 is boosted and idles at 668 with a big cam a stroker and hauls. If you need tuning send me a PM and I can hook you up.
Excuse me, do u still tune dodge ram 1500 trucks? I am insrested in a maiil order tune.

· Premium Member
3,993 Posts
Hi GreenEH
Keith is the man to help you with tuning work. Send him a private message @ Charged392. He is the best on our beloved Hemis.

Welcome from a member from Wesley Chapel, FL. Our members are always willing to share their experiences with most everything you will want to do to your pride and joy. Hopefully you will get to meet others in your area who share the love of our trucks. We hope that at some point you will come out to one of our “get togethers” and meet like minded fans. Good to see what others have done to their ride whether it is a work in progress, show truck or a daily driver. We welcome all.
R/T

· Greg
20,332 Posts
Mark, IMO, it's the only way to go... one of the things I like is it can take a old diablow tune and convert it to HP format to further optimise it... Keith is the go to man to get you on the righ road...

Reactions: bada44

· Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,178 Posts
Mark, IMO, it's the only way to go... one of the things I like is it can take a old diablow tune and convert it to HP format to further optimise it... Keith is the go to man to get you on the righ road...
Couldn't agree more, but I will say one thing IMO I would not do the update to the new tuning platform... All tunes made prior to the new supposed upgrade will no longer be usable.

· Greg
20,332 Posts
Not sure I understand what you are saying.. Are you saying early HP tunes are not compatible with newer HP tuning platform?

· Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,178 Posts
Not sure I understand what you are saying.. Are you saying early HP tunes are not compatible with newer HP tuning platform?
Correct if you do the new update patch the old tunes will not work you will have to reread the tune that's in your vehicle now and start over. It's a bunch of governmental bullshit that they've created make you take a new emissions course to use the full potential of HP tuners.

1081 - 1100 of 1109 Posts