Hemi Truck Club banner
1061 - 1080 of 1109 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

First time posting but long time enthusiast on the hemi. I have myself a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 2wd with the 5.7L that I am coining "project race truck." I dropped in a comp cam 260 with new lifters, 6.1L valve train, and the bottom end has been rebuilt (after a stock valve spring broke on the stock motor and dropped a valve). I have also done longtubes, true CAI routed to the existing AC fan shroud (AC deleted), 180 Tstat, and is currently running on a superchips 91 tune. Problem is, well it doesn't run that great. The truck weighs with me in it 5360 pounds and I am currently running 15.5 in the 1/4 mile @ 91.7 mph. The trap speed is decent but not lining up with the ET, and I think there is much room to be made with custom tuning.

Now for the 03 issue. I know custom tuning is limited so I bought myself an 05 hemi parts truck (500 bucks complete with motor and trans!) that a buddy and I tore out every electrical harness and module out of. I am planning on doing a full swap to 05 electricals, or at least what we find needed. I have heard of some people doing this with some parts from an 05 (engine harness, PCM, maybe front harness with fuse box?) but I haven't seen it documented well. I plan on documenting every single module and harness in this thread that MUST be used from the 05 in order to convert via plug and play an 03 to 05 for custom tuning purposes.

Some issues that I know of just from pulling out the 05 harnesses:
- abs modules look different
- you need the SKIM from the donor truck to communicate with the PCM. Hence you also need the donor keys and ignition cylinder
-05 has a different gas pedal
- instrument cluster connections are different. This is where I don't see how people have done this without the full cab/dash wiring harness, which connects to the PCM, engine harness, fuse box, fcm and abs module. I have access to reflashing the PCM/cluster to show my current mileage.
-05 has egr and 4 o2s. I would like custom tuning done to delete egr but plan on using 4 o2s like factory (03 only has 2)

I have a wideband O2 sensor which is showing decent A/F at WOT but I really think it needs some tuning down low. I was told that a guy on this forum writes custom tunes, but I may consider local unless someone instructs me what I need to do to get custom tuning done over the web?

My buddy has a Paxton supercharger that I may be installing on this motor in the future. Heres to the beginning of a long but powerful road ahead :)

Do you have info on to swap 2003 pcm to 2005 pcm. diagram of pins to swap

· Greg
20,332 Posts
Welcome to HTC, you are in the right forum for both the information and to do your swap.

· John
4,304 Posts
:thumb::WelcomeBanner1::cowboy1_icon:

You have reached the very best forum for all things HEMI related, from mild to wild and beyond. The deeper your commitment and pockets, you set the limits. The 03' model year trucks are the misfits, but are tameable right on this forum.

· Gold-Member
4,147 Posts
:welcome-0005a: To HTC! :thumb:

· Chris
2,169 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys little late to the party here but i'm looking to complete this swap sometime sooner than later. I've read through this post a few times as long as some others on the 03 -05 PCM swap. I picked up a pcm from a truck being parted out locally, 56028958AD from what I have read this part number should work? The swap itself looks pretty straightforward for the most part. Only thing I'm really concerned about that P haven't really seen addressed in this post is the SKIM module, has anybody found a successful way around this while swapping pcms?

Thanks in advance, i'm sure ill be posting more once i get into it.

· Greg
20,332 Posts
Welcome to HTC..
The 56028958AD is a good pcm to swap. The truck you got the pcm from, did it have SKIM? If you have it's ignition key you can tell from it. Or if you have the steering column you can see if there is a immobilizer installed.

· Registered
6 Posts
Welcome to HTC..
The 56028958AD is a good pcm to swap. The truck you got the pcm from, did it have SKIM? If you have it's ignition key you can tell from it. Or if you have the steering column you can see if there is a immobilizer installed.
I'm assuming the truck it came from had SKIM, I didnt even think to check when i got the PCM, Truck has since went to scrap, and I didn't get a chance to see the key. They grey key for these trucks are the chip key correct? My truck has aftermarket keys, but from what i can tell they are replacement chip keys. Is there a way to tell from the PCM itself?

· Greg
20,332 Posts
I'm assuming the truck it came from had SKIM, I didnt even think to check when i got the PCM, Truck has since went to scrap, and I didn't get a chance to see the key. They grey key for these trucks are the chip key correct? My truck has aftermarket keys, but from what i can tell they are replacement chip keys. Is there a way to tell from the PCM itself?
All pcm's are SKIM capable and will become SKIM active if a immoblizer is detected. The gray keys are chip keys. You can remove the steering column cover and see if a immobilizer is installed and plugged in. Or if you have non-chip copy made, it should crank, start engine and die. If the engine continues to run normally then you don't have SKIM.There is a limited number of false starts and then it won't crank being in a protected mode. Do you want to keep SKIM?

· Registered
6 Posts
All pcm's are SKIM capable and will become SKIM active if a immoblizer is detected. The gray keys are chip keys. You can remove the steering column cover and see if a immobilizer is installed and plugged in. Or if you have non-chip copy made, it should crank, start engine and die. If the engine continues to run normally then you don't have SKIM.There is a limited number of false starts and then it won't crank being in a protected mode. Do you want to keep SKIM?
Ill get a key made today after work without chip and give it a try. Come to think of it the previous owner told me the truck was stolen and found once before so maybe it is not equipped with a SKIM module? Doesn't matter to me if the SKIM is retained or not, if it can just be removed and the 05 PCM Flashed to not recognize SKIM that would be ideal I think? Trying to keep it as simple as possible to avoid any unnecessary issues. Thanks!

· Greg
20,332 Posts
IMO, SKIM is pia.. I agree if the truck was stolen it most likely isn't SKIM active. Or he left the keys in it....

· Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,178 Posts
:WelcomeBanner1:

I would check with your state emission laws before you proceed with swapping out your PCM if it is a daily driver. we've had some members have to revert back......

· Registered
6 Posts
:WelcomeBanner1:

I would check with your state emission laws before you proceed with swapping out your PCM if it is a daily driver. we've had some members have to revert back......
I'm In Ontario, Canada, no emissions testing where i am, plus it will not be used as a daily driver so i think i should be safe to do the swap

· Greg
20,332 Posts
You would be surprised how many of our rams are for off road... ;)

1061 - 1080 of 1109 Posts