Hemi Truck Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...
Possibly bad news. My truck maybe a goner. The engine is losing compression and there is a rattle sound. The rattle sound deceases as the engine revs up and returns when the engine slows. The oil pressure gauge goes up and down and check engine lite comes on. This is all intermittent as I drive down the road. The mechanic (HILL KELLY DODGE PCLA, FL) says possibly no way to rebuild because no parts avail for 2003 HEMI engine. Should I cut my loses and move on? Will a rebuild kit help? Swap another 2003 engine? Well?

133,000 approx miles on the truck.

Patches

· Administrator
18,176 Posts
Best bet is to simply get another motor then and swap in it in the truck.
2003-2008 will work in your truck. Simply leave the mds plugs unplugged if using a 2006-2008 motor.
Rebuild kits are only good if tearing all the way down and measuring everything correctly.

· Registered
357 Posts
Hello...
Possibly bad news. My truck maybe a goner. The engine is losing compression and there is a rattle sound. The rattle sound deceases as the engine revs up and returns when the engine slows. The oil pressure gauge goes up and down and check engine lite comes on. This is all intermittent as I drive down the road. The mechanic (HILL KELLY DODGE PCLA, FL) says possibly no way to rebuild because no parts avail for 2003 HEMI engine. Should I cut my loses and move on? Will a rebuild kit help? Swap another 2003 engine? Well?

Patches
Sorry to hear that , :eek:

· Red Trucker
344 Posts
He actually said to you that there are no parts available for a 2003 hemi engine? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Plenty of parts available, especially since that same basic engine was used across the board from 2003 to 2008. Dealership mechanics are retarded. He probably meant there were no factory parts available; these engines get rebuilt all the time. Time to go somewhere else. It will however, be easier to just get a long block and replace it, they'll want your engine for the core charge. Have heard a couple people say this was a good source: Dodge 5.7 Hemi Engine 2003

· Registered
2004 GTX
79 Posts
Hello...

Patches
find a different Dealer.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello All...
Thanks for the response. I have found an engine that was rebuild/remanufactured located in Miami Fl. From CARS AND TRUCKS ENGINES 4LESS. I know I will pay big time using the dealer but the best there is available for the time line. The engine does have MDS modules. If they are left unplugged will the engine run without issues... no CODES / QUIT ON THE ROAD? The mechanic is really having an issue about that. I said go with it. What do you all say?

patches.

· Registered
2004 GTX
79 Posts
Have them remove the MDS solenoids , the plugs are around $40ish for all 4 . you'll be better off with out them.

· Red Trucker
344 Posts
Don't pull the solenoids unless you're replacing the lifters too. Otherwise leave them in. Default mechanical position for MDS is off. There won't be anything to worry about plugging in with a 2003. Also since this an MDS engine it will also have EGR. You'll need to block that port off on the passenger head and the port on the intake manifold unless you're reusing your original.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts