Hemi Truck Club banner
41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Greg
20,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I found out finding a radiator is not as easy one would think. Stopped at my local Fisher part store and was told not available... Checked Rockauto, in stock.. A few days later radiator arrived.. wrong radiator (959).. actually a inter-cooler model that mounts differently, vertical fins with top hose on the driver side instead of on the passenger side. Checked around for a radiator shop to recore the one I have. Found two, sorta... both run by old men.. one told me he couldn't get cores anymore. The other acted surprised that anyone remembered that radiators could be rebuilt.. said he might beable to get a core for $450.. Called Advance Auto, all they had to offer was the 959 model.. Called Auto Zone and was told they could get the 959. I explained the 959 wasn't for my truck (1st year Cummins) and wanted a 1079. She hesitated then said she could get the 1079 and hadn't mentioned it due to it hefty price.. So two days later I have a new 1079. It looks to be a HD aluminum radiator. No markings on it or it's box where it came from, so my guess is china. Anyway, bolted right up with new hoses and fluid. 16 qts... had to hunt again for hoses and had to pay more for shipping than for the hoses. But I was determined not to use universal flex hoses on my chinese radiator.. go figure the logic behind that decision... While driving the truck it had the tendency to wander some in it's lane.. and the shroud would touch the fan on a hard turn.. With a little research found it needed a frame/gear box stiffener. Bought one from a shop that specializes in old dodge trucks. Bolted the sucker in and believe it is as tight or tighter than new fixing both the wandering and scraping. One of the incandescent driving lights I installed failed. Replaced them with a pair of vintage fog lights from the 80's. Fixed the trans dip stick tube leak, now it leaks from the shift selector shaft. Parts on order.. I'll change the seals and install a drain plug in the trans pan next week.. old trucks
Automotive parking light Plant Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate
always need something.... ;)

·
Greg
20,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I have Redtruck and the rolling chassis for the willys on dollies along with the willys cab.and moved them around in the shop so I could squeeze farmtruck in as well. Jacked up farmtruck so could get under it. Since the stroke it hasn't been easy for me to crawl around under vehicles. I really need a lift.... anyway, dropped the transmission pan and valve body. Knocked the shifter shaft seal out and used a bolt and a couple washers to pulled the new seal into place. On the vb changed the tv seal as well. Brazed in a drain plug on a deep pan. Making pretty good time, but it was getting hot and I was wearing down. Tried to re-install the vb and couldn't get it seat. After several attempts I still couldn't get. Called it a day.... Today hit it again early trying to beat the heat. This time jacked both rear wheels off the ground allowing me to turn the wheels. This allowed the park lugs to engage properly and the vb slide right in with no struggle. Farmtruck has a PowerTrax locker installed and it's operation is a bit crude. Plus I had the ebrake engaged which I had forgotten about making it impossible to turn the wheels/drive shaft. I blamed the locker for the difficulties being a dumba$$.. End of story got it all together with a good test drive.. Left the shop a mess, but will sort that out tomorrow.. Success! Old trucks need lots of patience...

41 - 42 of 42 Posts