Hemi Truck Club banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Greg
20,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I didn't have any of the authentic imitation tape... ;)

Reactions: arocketman

·
Greg
20,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Guages are mounted... Boost of 12psi is lower than expected. The old girl has it's original turbo (maybe).. 89' is first year of the diesel and didn't use an intercooler. It also has AC, so between the grill design and the condensor there is no room for the orignal air/air intercooler to be mounted.. I've got bits and pieces from a water/air intercooler that I might beable to piece together. Or maybe I'll just instal a water injection system. Will have to see how it fits..
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Speedometer Steering part

·
Greg
20,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Finished the bed cover. IMO, it came out just about right.. in as, it isn't overkill.. with the overall condition (rough) of the truck it would be realatively easy to put a "too" shinny (nice) part on her that would look out of place. Wanted to keep the lockable tool box and have a rear lift section for quick access... plus a pic of my buddy..
Tire Wheel Property Plant Automotive tire
Dog Carnivore Working animal Dog breed Fawn

Attachments

·
Greg
20,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The accelerator pedal is worn out and for a technical term is floppy. Pulled the whole assembly out to see what it would take to fix. The previous fix was to wrap a roll of electrical tape round it to hold the pedal pad in place. Also the pivot shaft was worn. Spot welded the shaft to the throttle arm and replace the pedal with a plate welded to the arm. Now looks like a 1940's spoon pedal. Solid and completely functional.... paint is gone on the roof.. scuffed it and clear coated the rust. Now hoping the patina remains water tight..

·
Greg
20,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Developed a rear axle seal leak from changing the rear brake drums. Passenger rear was a bear to remove and the seal was damaged. Ordered a Powertrax lunchbox locker. Will install it in a week or two well before first snow. Most likely won't drive it in poor weather, but it was really limited in the past winters with only one wheel drive... the old girl is fun to drive.. lots of character..

·
Greg
20,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Developed a fuel leak, looked like lift pump was leaking. The hoses have protective sheeve over them, fuel coming down the hose or so it appeared. Also thought oil was contaminated or convinced myself it smelled like diesel fuel. So did an oil change and replaced the lift pump. Same leak... wtf? Tightened hose clamp, looked like the leak got worse.. bought new hose and clamps. Unfortunately I can't reach the far end.. cut back a little of the old hose and reclamped it.. fixed the leak... will take the old girl to a friends shop and have one of his mechanics who is flexible enough to reach the buried end and replace the entire hose and clamps. Should be good for another 32 years..

·
Greg
20,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Had an enjoyable day working on the old girl today. Repaired a broken exhaust hanger. The pipe was hitting the bottom of the fender, sounded like a hollow block rolling around in the bed. Really loud.. There was no solid place in the front to connect a tow cable. I fabricated a cross member behind the bumper and mounted a large Dee ring to it.. it's solid and only the bottom of the ring shows. So hopefully I won't need it. The Lunch Box locker goes in Monday at a friends shop..

·
Greg
20,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Attachments

21 - 28 of 28 Posts