Guages are mounted... Boost of 12psi is lower than expected. The old girl has it's original turbo (maybe).. 89' is first year of the diesel and didn't use an intercooler. It also has AC, so between the grill design and the condensor there is no room for the orignal air/air intercooler to be mounted.. I've got bits and pieces from a water/air intercooler that I might beable to piece together. Or maybe I'll just instal a water injection system. Will have to see how it fits..
Finished the bed cover. IMO, it came out just about right.. in as, it isn't overkill.. with the overall condition (rough) of the truck it would be realatively easy to put a "too" shinny (nice) part on her that would look out of place. Wanted to keep the lockable tool box and have a rear lift section for quick access... plus a pic of my buddy..
The accelerator pedal is worn out and for a technical term is floppy. Pulled the whole assembly out to see what it would take to fix. The previous fix was to wrap a roll of electrical tape round it to hold the pedal pad in place. Also the pivot shaft was worn. Spot welded the shaft to the throttle arm and replace the pedal with a plate welded to the arm. Now looks like a 1940's spoon pedal. Solid and completely functional.... paint is gone on the roof.. scuffed it and clear coated the rust. Now hoping the patina remains water tight..
Developed a rear axle seal leak from changing the rear brake drums. Passenger rear was a bear to remove and the seal was damaged. Ordered a Powertrax lunchbox locker. Will install it in a week or two well before first snow. Most likely won't drive it in poor weather, but it was really limited in the past winters with only one wheel drive... the old girl is fun to drive.. lots of character..
Developed a fuel leak, looked like lift pump was leaking. The hoses have protective sheeve over them, fuel coming down the hose or so it appeared. Also thought oil was contaminated or convinced myself it smelled like diesel fuel. So did an oil change and replaced the lift pump. Same leak... wtf? Tightened hose clamp, looked like the leak got worse.. bought new hose and clamps. Unfortunately I can't reach the far end.. cut back a little of the old hose and reclamped it.. fixed the leak... will take the old girl to a friends shop and have one of his mechanics who is flexible enough to reach the buried end and replace the entire hose and clamps. Should be good for another 32 years..
Had an enjoyable day working on the old girl today. Repaired a broken exhaust hanger. The pipe was hitting the bottom of the fender, sounded like a hollow block rolling around in the bed. Really loud.. There was no solid place in the front to connect a tow cable. I fabricated a cross member behind the bumper and mounted a large Dee ring to it.. it's solid and only the bottom of the ring shows. So hopefully I won't need it. The Lunch Box locker goes in Monday at a friends shop..
The PowerTrax 2710-LR (lunchbox locker) install was easy, but a little confusing if not done before. Being my first install we assembled and disassembled it twice just to ensure it was correct. Pasted the final install test of turning one wheel and then turned the other the opposite direct. With the cover off it is noisy. Cover on and with oil I don't hear it working... This is a real upgrade for the old girl. While there also replace the fuel return line.. Think I'm done with her for awhile..
Starter motor went out... just clicks like a dead battery.. charged battery up.. same symptoms.. ordered starter motor. Suppose to have arrived in three days, actually took a week and half.. usual excuses, covid, bad weather, lost... changed it out this morning without drama.. good to have the old girl running again..
Got a trans dip stick leak... need to replace it's O ring... easy money. Just need a semi warm day.. Next project is to install a low stall converter... it's the easiest and cheapest way to gain a few more mph @ cruise (2100rpm)..
Obviously farmtruck is a rough old girl some of her trim has fallen off or is loose. Pervious owner (7 years ago) used wood screws to hold various pieces in place. Decided to upgrade by replacing the screws with pop rivets.. some things just take awhile..... lol
Focusing on the converter trying to decide who has what I want. Looking for a 1500-1800 lockup. As it is I can cruise at 55mph @1900. Stab it and she'll flash to 2400 with the truck moving out pretty good, but I think the key would be with a lower stall she would jump much harder and cruise at a lower rpm.. she'll turn up 20 psi on a jump. Got some medical treatments coming up and would like to get everything ordered so I'll have something to play with..
I like the look of the simple uncluttered front end. Keeping with the farmtruck look. I added a pair of drl lights (led) hidden under the bumper. Unfortunately I don't like them.. will try a pair of vintage incandescent lights before scraping the idea.. Ordered a 90' Dodge diesel TC to use as a core for a new low stall converter. I recieved what looks like a 90' something chevy converter not useable for a core.. Either the seller was deceptive or didn't know what he was selling.. Resulting in having to rebox and shipping it back to the seller.. Buyer beware..
Installed a Goerend Bros. 15SS billet nonlockup converter. In the past a converter swap has taken around 4 hours. This one took twice that... not sure if it had ever been taken apart berfore. Everything was a fight... anyway, it's back together with a 1500 stall giving the old truck a tighter coupling.. I'm driving a 100 miles aday for some medical appointments and using the old girl will save some fuel (21mpg)... diesel here is $4.99 a gallon..