Hemi Truck Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Greg
20,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old 12v has been ignored for a few years. Last winter I went to make a garbage run and the battery was dead. Finally hooked up the battery charger this morning. After a few hours I went out out to start it and it fired before making a full revolution... what a beast! I really like the sound of a old 12v... anyway ... thought I'd share..

·
Greg
20,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that's the truck.. it's in good shape. Just old and not driven anymore..

·
Greg
20,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm a hoarder....

·
Greg
20,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so you're the reason why eBay was born.........lol
Haha I certainty receive my fair share of ebay junk. But I don't think I can take responsibility for it's existance...

·
Greg
20,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Decided to resurrect Farmtruck once again.. I really like the old girl.. Brakes aren't working, dragging right rear brake. Replaced shoes and drums a few years ago along with new rotors and pads in the front. Went to the shop in town to have it bled and adjusted. Still no good. My diagnosis is a bad RWABS hydraulic unit. Checked online and the local part houses. Apparently it hasn't been available for about 10 years. Finally found one, no joke on ebay. (Unbelievable! ). I've ordered a new master cylinder and rubber brake hoses. I have a new dash I'm going to mount a pyro and boost guage in. Much like Red is done. If I can't get the RWABS to work I'm going to remove the hydraulic control unit and make it old school. And would you believe I filled it up and the fuel guage quit working and of course the sending unit is also unavailable. I have the old gas tank from Red and pretty sure the old pump/fuel sender is still in it. Will try to salvage parts from it to fix Farmtruck. I had a perfect front bumper on the old truck until I pinched the left corner up against a 8x8 upright in my carport. It buckled the center of the bumper making me crazy every time I look at. Ordered one from LMC. Replaced the steering box and steering wheel trying to make her drive/feel a little more modern. Anyway the old girl is coming along, just a matter of a little maintenance and time and she will be up and running. Future mods will include a locker. Might even change gears and stick a 518 or gear-vender in her. There is no limit to modding old trucks!

·
Administrator
17,940 Posts
I have the gearvendors unit from my 727 setup I’m pulling out of your interested in that.

·
Greg
20,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the gearvendors unit from my 727 setup I’m pulling out of your interested in that.
Keith, I am interested.. text me the details.

·
Greg
20,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The bumper is replaced with a shiny new one. Just recieved a hydraulic control unit which I'll install maybe tomorrow. Still got some brackets to remove. New master cylinder is in hand. So got plenty to keep me busy.. I couldn't remember how long I've had the truck and went back and looked at some pictures and was a little surprised to see I've had her for 7 years. No wonder she needs some work, been sitting idle in my carport way to long..

Reactions: arocketman

·
Greg
20,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cut off the old goose neck brackets. Replaced the front rubber brake hoses and master cylinder. Tried to replace the hydraulic control unit, but destroyed the brake lines disconnecting them. Decided not to use the RWABS controller and go old school. Replaced the brake lines on the axle and cut back and reflared the brake line coming from the master cylinder and connected it directly to a new rubber hose to the rear axle brake lines. I'm sorry to say the truck has a lot of corrosion on the frame with the brake lines taking a hit. Flushed the system and bled everything. I put 12x3 inch drums on it when I got the truck. The first set of brake drums were not concentric and I replaced with another pair. (Chinese junk)... trying to adjust them today it is obvious these also have high spots. Ordered another pair and will see if they run an any truer. The brakes are now good with the fronts working as they should. I like the old truck but it's far from ever being a clean truck.. I filled it up and the fuel guage dropped to Empty. Got im it this morning and the guage read full.. so I'm guessing the old girl wants to be driven..

·
Mark G Senior Member
03Ram Stock & 05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
1,997 Posts
Hey Greg glad to see you're working on something again.. you must be feeling a lot better good to hear from you. (y)

·
Greg
20,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mark, I do feel good.. I'm getting stronger, but lack stamina. It's a long process...

·
Greg
20,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The old corroded hydraulic controller has electrical connection that operates a solenoid that suppose to modulates fluid to the rear wheels when the VSS senses the wheels are locked. It's a very scary moment when this system activates as it often just kills the rear brakes completely during a panic stop eliminating rear braking. It happened to me while hauling my wife's SUV on a car trailer. I feel much better not having it... but the dash RWABS brake light stays on and won't test cycle when the ignition is first turned on. So I smacked the bad disconnected hydraulic controller several times with a hammer and plugged it in... wala. The dash lights cycle and show good system test.. perfect for inspection.

Reactions: Daw14

·
Greg
20,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fired up Farmtruck to get her inspected and the dash lit up. No time to fool with it. Pulled the plug on the lights. Of course no error lights, but it also doesn't cycle for system check.. well no problem the old girl passed anyway and is legal once again. Going to replace the rear drums for the third time hoping the new ones are machined true. (Concentric). If not they are coming off and back in the box they go. Chinese junk is pissing me off...

Reactions: arocketman

·
Greg
20,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Replaced the rear brake drums, now stops smoothly without wheel lockup. Inspecting the old brake drums showed evidence of hot spots. Turning the wheel by hand it was obvious there was a high spot.. The the first pair were from Advance with a life time warranty.. they replace first faulty pair under warranty. The 2nd pair were the same as the first but I didn't change them. Apparently the customer is their quality control for their products.. The pair I just installed are Federated brand from Fisher who apparently have better quality. Looked at the boxes found no idication were they were made.. no doubt china..):

1 - 17 of 17 Posts