Hemi Truck Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 dodge ram 1500 2wd
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I'm new to the forum and after extensively looking for an answer I decided to join and hopefully get some help with my current project...I have a 2005 ram 5.7 hemi that has a blown engine so I acquired awhile back a 2014 5.7 hemi engine with 8 speed tranny with 52k on the pair I have all wiring harnesses and I have the computer is it possible to put that into my 05 and what would be my biggest problem???

·
Registered
2005 dodge ram 1500 2wd
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet I hope so I'm about to take on this job and could definitely use the advice!!!!!

·
Red Trucker
231 Posts
Welcome to what happens when you purchase BEFORE research lol. The two engines are not interchangeable nor is any of the wiring you have. Let's talk about why:
1. 2009+ 5.7 (eagle) is a VVT engine and in this case has MDS as well. This absolutely requires the CAN bus PCM to run it, except........oops, your truck is PCI bus (two electronics generations backwards from the 2014 apparatus you have). In order to actually run that later 5.7, you'd have to lock the cam phaser, swap tone rings and then be stuck with an engine with no VVT or MDS (05 PCM cannot run either) and marginally more power than your stock engine. Of course, if you still have access to the donor truck you could put EVERY (and I mean EVERY) bit of wiring and computer module into the older truck, effectively turning it into a newer truck; then your engine and trans would run like factory.
2. Eagle 5.7 in both car and truck flavors has a completely different accessory drive than your 05; you'd have to be willing to completely change yours (rerouting and/or making new hoses and wiring).
3. Without the CAN bus PCM for it's inputs, the 8HP70 won't function. It can be retrofitted independently but that requires an e-shifter (where you gonna mount that?), custom driveshaft (if 2wd) and an adapter harness that is $1k non-negotiable.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Hey everyone I'm new to the forum and after extensively looking for an answer I decided to join and hopefully get some help with my current project...I have a 2005 ram 5.7 hemi that has a blown engine so I acquired awhile back a 2014 5.7 hemi engine with 8 speed tranny with 52k on the pair I have all wiring harnesses and I have the computer is it possible to put that into my 05 and what would be my biggest problem???
It's possible.........My Nephew bought an 03 4.7 2wd, last year and we both didn't want to deal with any of the headaches associated with the Lack of tuning of the 03s, so he bought a 2014 wrecked Crew Cab 2500 6.4 truck.... we swapped it ALL .....Dash, Wiring, Fuel tank, rear axle, even for giggles and craps we cut and welded in the 14 tail lights in to the 03 Bed........ .........the whole deal..... his biggest issue was VIN and Emissions related (Pennsylvania SUX).

Unless you are willing to do a LOT of work, (FWIW the 2014 dash fits nicely in the 03 Cab). your better off either rebuilding the 05 Hemi engine or pulling the 2014 5.7 apart and changing the tone wheel from 58 to 32 Teeth....while your in there do a came swap, some one some where is always selling a VVT performance cam , throw some new bearings and and rod bolts and ...and have some fun...... locking the VVT is easy. , Like Mr Lonestar said the whole front accessories set up has to be rerouted ....the later 5.7/6.4 engine accessories are set up like the older 5.7/6.1 SRT8(06-10) LX cars ....
what was the 2014 engine and trans out of ? if it's a truck set up, you'll need to do some fab work, if it came out of a Charger/Challenger/C300 your closer to the goal...but you still need to open up that 5.7 to make it work....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts