Hemi Truck Club banner
1621 - 1640 of 1653 Posts

·
Stu
21,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,626 ·
With the 05 running again. I like this street rv/turbo cam. Better all around power. The tune will need adjustment as it did before the cam swap.

·
Stu
21,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,627 ·
The 392 did show signs the the exhaust evacuation system wasn't working that well. Slight oil leaks at seals at the valve covers and crankshaft seals. As well as pushing sight bit of oil past the intake valve seals. With the stage 4 turbo cam, it ran better with no pcv system at the intake manifold. Just used the exhaust crank case evacuation system. With the street rv/turbo cam, it's designed to work with the oem pcv system. Will have to re-install the pcv system on the OCP intake manifold.

·
Stu
21,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,628 ·
First test drive with the 05. Wasn't running all that good. Forgot to reset and re-install the tune...
Second test drive with a/c off. Running better and it didn't hunt/surge as bad as it used to do. Felt like the pcm is actually adjusting the tune to make it run better and not hunt/surge as much.
Third test drive with a/c on. It hunted/surged a little at first take off but seem to clear out on the rest of the drive. At the end of the drive, it hardly surged at all with the a/c on. SWEET! So far the pcm is adjusting the tune and making the engine run much better. Also feels like the pcm is adjusting to the power band of the rv/turbo cam. The afr's look good. Looking at the afr gauge, you can see that the pcm is testing and adjusting the tune to make the engine run better.
The 392 running better and better after each drive, "so far". So glad I changed back to the street rv/turbo cam now. (y)

·
Stu
21,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,630 ·
She ran real good on that third test drive. Running like the way I wanted it too from the very beginning. Happy with that. (y)(y)(y)

·
Stu
21,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,631 ·
Re-installed the OCP pcv system with the Moroso oil catch can. The pcv valve is actually a brake booster check valve. Don't need to put boost into the crankcase. Used the same setup on the 03. It worked great. The exhaust evacuation system will still be used mainly when under boost. When the weather clears, will be testing the system out. Will have to find a new place to put the intake air temp sensor.

Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design
Automotive tire Coil spring Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Auto part

·
Stu
21,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,636 ·
Took the 05 for a drive. (Left my phone at work). Have to put some weight in the back of the truck or some new traction bars. Serious SRT10 22" tire spin now. (y)(y)(y):love:
Have to be careful that this thing doesn't get away from me now. o_O

·
Mark G Senior Member
1,981 Posts
Took the 05 for a drive. (Left my phone at work). Have to put some weight in the back of the truck or some new traction bars. Serious SRT10 22" tire spin now. (y)(y)(y):love:
Have to be careful that this thing doesn't get away from me now. o_O
That's why I went to a taller gear. Stopped a lot of the tire spinning.

·
Stu
21,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,640 · (Edited)
3.55 gears puts more stress on the 545rfe trans. Where's your trans Mark?
Would rather just add the 50-60lbs weight to the back of the truck and lower rear tire pressure to make it more controllable on the street. Just enough weight to have better traction to make it faster, not slower. Taking all things in consideration, it's a balancing act. That's how I did the 03. Will do the same with the 05.

PS. Happy to be making forward progress again with the 05. Makes me sick to think all this time it was the BBK 90mm throttle body that was causing the street driving tuning problems. There wasn't any codes or test to the tb that would tell me it was the problem. It looked like it was operating the way it should. Dave (B&G Performance) said, he has seen many problems with the BBK throttle bodies and recommended to go back to the oem tb. Thanks Dave. (y)(y)(y)
The tune still needs adjustment but, no where near as bad as it was. Actually surprised it's running as good as it is with all of the changes I've done to it.
Keith's base 392 boosted tune runs strong now at wot. Even with just 6psi boost. Know I stretched/stressed everyone's patients out on this. Especially Keith and Becca. Truly sorry for that.
I was desperate on trying to find the problem that it seemed nobody had an answer too. Changing parts left and right to try and find the cause of the problem. It drove me crazy...

1621 - 1640 of 1653 Posts