Hemi Truck Club banner
1601 - 1620 of 1653 Posts

·
Stu
21,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,601 · (Edited)
First mod will be install the ball bearing 80mm GT45 turbo. What I'm looking to do here is to get the boost up quicker and to utilize the upper rpm power band of the stage 4 turbo cam. If it works, wont have to change out the stage 4 turbo cam.
Then get another straight threw 4" diesel muffler. The 36" Magnaflow muffler is a 4" in/out but, reduces down to a 3 1/2" inside. With a full length, quiet exhaust system. It needs to be 4" all the way through to try and minimize back pressure for optimize turbo performance.

·
Stu
21,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,602 ·
Everything bolted right up except for the down pipe. The GT45 has a 1.15 a/r exhaust turbine housing. The 88mm turbo had a .96 a/r turbine housing.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Hood Car
Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive design

·
Stu
21,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,603 ·
Had a little time today to get the down pipe modded to fit the GT45 turbo. Not the best of welds but, it will do. Have to add the crankcase evacuation tubes.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Car
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light Hood

·
Stu
21,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,605 ·
The turbo swap is done. Took the 05 for a quick test drive. She spools up quicker now. Feels like it loads up on boost in 2nd gear now. Still a little sluggish on the lower rpm's in 1st gear. The exhaust sound is a little quieter now but, will be removing the 36" Magnaflow muffler for exhaust system mods.

·
Stu
21,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,606 · (Edited)
The turbo is spooling up quicker but, at the same rpm power band (3000-3200) as the bigger turbo started boosting up at. Trying a few more things but, most likely will have to swap out the stage 4 turbo cam.

·
Stu
21,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,609 ·
Have ordered a smaller outside case diameter race muffler to make another tail pipe assembly that will fit with the spare tire in place. Just trying to quiet it down a little and cut out some of the exhaust drone without affecting performance.

·
Stu
21,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,610 · (Edited)
Installed the smaller outside diameter (6 inch) Dynomax as a tail pipe muffler. Got it to clear the spare tire. Also added a small outside diameter glass pack (5 inch) due to muffler size restrictions in that area. All four diesel performance mufflers are 4 inch in/out now. It feels like it didn't loose any hp/tq this time. Finally happy with how quiet it runs now. (y)
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Automotive tire Leg Tire Automotive exhaust Rim
Automotive parking light Car Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Grille

·
Stu
21,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,611 ·
Been driving the truck around town. The 80mm gt45 turbo is doing well. Boosting up quicker than the On3 88mm turbo. And is boosting up good with the full length 4 inch exhaust system. But, there's not much of a difference in lower rpm power even with the turbo boosting up at lower rpm's. This stage 4 turbo camshaft is a high rpm, high boost racing cam that needs to be used with a trans brake. It does have some tuning issues when driving on the street as well as low in power at lower rpm's with the oem pcm. It's recommended to be used with a stand alone pcm. I'm not going that rout. I've tried everything I could think of as well as recommendations from HHP with using the oem pcm. Will be changing back to the mild (easy tuning) Inertia rv/turbo street cam. HHP said to leave the 90mm tb and the 80lb injectors in place. They should actually help make the tuning of the Inertia cam easier with the oem pcm. I hope that's the case. If not, I do have the SRT4 stage 2/3 65lb injectors (@58psif) and a 84mm tb from the Fastman. HHP like Stu's(Inertia) cam profile. It looks to be a good all around street rv/turbo camshaft and should work good with the present engine and the oem pcm.

PS. Hey Keith, do you need a stage 4 turbo racing camshaft? I wont be using my slicks and the 17 inch wheels either?

·
Stu
21,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,612 · (Edited)
Cam swap complete. Pistons and cylinder block look good. Have to clean the heavy carbon off the top of the pistons and cylinder heads. There's even carbon build up on the intake ports and valves. There has been some oil protrusion into the intake ports from the intake valve seals. Most of that is caused by the crankcase evacuation system not working as good as it should. That's one of the reasons why I like the water/meth injection. It cleans most of that oily film and excess carbon off. Will hookup the pcv valve back into the intake manifold with a brake booster check valve to stop boost from pressurizing the crankcase. Valve seals will need replacement as well.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive engine gasket Automotive exterior Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Font Rim Auto part Circle
Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Rim Bumper
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive engine gasket Automotive exterior Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Font Rim Auto part Circle
Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design
Water Plumbing fixture Fluid Sink Plumbing
Automotive lighting Helmet Bumper Gas Automotive exterior
Light Office equipment Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system

·
Stu
21,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,613 ·
As far as the oil protrusion, didn't find any oil or oil film in the inter-cooler or turbo. Did find oil in the intake ports of the intake manifold and heads. The spark plugs, well there's still some problems there. Passenger side spark plugs look good. Not so much on the drives side plugs. Some plugs look oil fouled. Others look fuel fouled.

Circuit component Audio equipment Gas Auto part Electric blue
Automotive tire Circuit component Font Gas Audio equipment
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Rim Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Wheel
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive design Wheel

1601 - 1620 of 1653 Posts