Hemi Truck Club banner

1581 - 1600 of 1610 Posts

·
Stu
21,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,582
I have a few days off so, going to inspect & prep the rear axle assembly. Dropped off the driveshaft at Drive Line Service last week. Everything will be replaced with heavy duty parts except for the driveshaft/trans yoke. They said it's heavy duty already. So far, damaged one shock and one axle flip kit spring perch. Luckily, I have a spare one. Not using these other spring perches. The axle flip kit spring perch is heavy duty and has the hole moved forward. It's meant to push the axle back a little for proper position of the driveshaft/trans yoke.

Attachments

·
Greg
19,958 Posts
The proper fix is to use 1350 joints. The front yoke use a viper yoke. Do not use a Sonnax high performance yoke it won't hold up. Good luck..

·
Greg
19,958 Posts
Would you just happen to have part numbers for both Greg?
Actually I don't have any numbers. I went to Gregory's Driveline in Virginia Beach and they made the recommendations for the shaft and built it. The first shaft used a Sonnax aluminum front yoke. Looked strong but Red twisted the spline. Replaced it wit a steel viper yoke.. the tube is aluminum 4" dia. .. It's been a few years and I don't remember the wall thickness. A 1350 joint is the goto joint for high performance sreet cars... steel tube is stronger than aluminum but 4" aluminum has better performance and yes you can feel the difference. Or at least I believe I can.

Reactions: arocketman

·
Stu
21,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,588 (Edited)
Was looking into an aluminum driveshaft as well. There's several customers have had good comments on them. For now, just going with a stronger than oem driveshaft.

·
Stu
21,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,590 (Edited)
Decided to use this flip kit style for backup insurance... Ran this flip kit on the 03 for many trouble free years. Plus it's adding 25lbs over the rear axle. Should help the street tires a little for traction. The flip kit leaf spring perch will have welds on them too. In the process of aligning up the rear axle. Can use this flip kit to get the correct pinion angle before welding as well. No driveshaft yet...

Attachments

·
Stu
21,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,595
So, as I was driving the 05 on the freeway. Noticed a slight vibration that seemed to be located from the new 1350 driveshaft. Start to notice the vibration around 70mph. The faster I go, the more it's noticeable. Now, they did have to grind out the drive shaft flange to clear the pinion nut. Don't think they re-balanced it after the flange mod. Had them also rebuilt and balanced the oem driveshaft as well. Installed the rebuilt oem driveshaft and it drives smooth again with no vibration. Tried "clocking" the 1350 driveshaft. Still has a noticeable vibration.

·
Stu
21,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,596
So, after getting the 2nd test run in at the track. Did some time & 6psi boost comparisons to the 03's time slips. Changes will need to be done to the 05. With the 05 being a lighter truck and having a bigger engine & turbo. Expected to see better results from the 05. The 05 definitely pulls strong in 3rd gear when the boost is loaded up. The tuning feels really good at wot and boost. Didn't see or feel any problems with the boost tune though I'm sure it will need some adjustments. The boost does build and loadup slower than the 03 did. The 03's 60ft is better due to it having 4.56 gears, rv cam and the boost loading up much sooner with the front mount turbo log manifold setup.

Attachments

·
Stu
21,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,597 (Edited)
It's possible that the turbo (On3 88mm) is a little too big for this setup. Originally bought the 88mm turbo for the log manifold with it's much shorter hot side piping. With the present hot side turbo setup. All of that piping is slowing down the exhaust flow (compressor tank effect is what I call it), making the 88mm turbo spool up slower. Gets into "loaded boost" mainly in 3rd gear. So, possibly the plan could be here is to swap out turbo's to the 80mm GT45 ball bearing, with a 115a/r turbine housing turbo. It should definitely spool up much quicker. The 50mm waste gate should still be able to bypass the extra exhaust flow. Might go back to 4.56 gears as well to get a better 60ft. We'll see.
20151104_160535.jpg
20151104_161044 (2).jpg

·
Stu
21,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,598
Or.... Just jack the boost up along with tuning and see what happens. The 88mm turbo may not be very responsive with just 6psi boost.

·
Stu
21,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,599 (Edited)
Going to change out the cam as well. This stage 4 turbo camshaft is a little sluggish on the street. It's meant to be ran at high rpm and high boost. It's designed for a trans brake as well. Going to re-install the Inertia rv/turbo cam. It is a torque-y street cam that responded well with boost. It is more suited to what I want for all around performance and the present setup of the 05.

·
Stu
21,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,600
This was the 03's run with 6psi boost, 4.56 gears, same tc, 80mm GT45 turbo, log turbo manifold, rv cam, forged 348 engine, KRC tune. The 03's weight was around 5700lbs at that time. At least 700lbs heaver than the 05...

1581 - 1600 of 1610 Posts