Hemi Truck Club banner

1561 - 1580 of 1610 Posts

·
Stu
21,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,561 (Edited)
Well, had a few problems...

When I thought it would be a good time to go for a run down the track in the cooler weather. Everyone in Orlando thought the same thing. I showed up 45 minutes early and the line was all the way out to the main road shoulder. I setup the Caltracs wrong at the house and couldn't get the pins in at the track. Didn't have the spare tire or extra weight in the back of the truck so the tires spun at the line. Couldn't make a second run because my electric fan wouldn't turn on and the engine got hot while moving up in the staging lanes. The turbo only came up to 5 to 6psi boost. :facepalm: But, at least I got one run in.

·
Greg
19,958 Posts
Two observations I've had from my own use of Caltracs and fans... Adjust the Caltracs and leave them connected otherwise they are just weight being carried around and are of no use.. efans, no matter what they cool need to have a over ride switch so they are available whenever you want to use them.. my efan cools both radiator and heat exchanger. I run it to cool the SC and engine in staging lane. Glad you were able to get a pass in..

·
Stu
21,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,563
This is the first time I setup to use the Caltracs on the 05. Normally, it's set them and for get them. Once I have them set right, just pull the pins for smooth driving on the street. Pop the pins back in for track use. That's a good idea for the radiator E fan over ride switch. Do you have the main power coming from the battery, to the switch, then to the fan Greg?

·
Greg
19,958 Posts
Stoplight shootouts there is no time for prepping... my battery is located in the bed with a 12v HD source terminal located near the orignal battery location. I tend to use switched relays in many of my installs. And my efans use fused 12v from the battery source to high amp relay that a simple rocker switch controls. Some temperature controllers come with a external switch terminal you can connect a toggle to operate the fan with manually..

Attachments

Reactions: bada44

·
Stu
21,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,565
Currently have my intercooler pump and heat exchanger fan on a manual switch. Need to put the radiator fan on a manual bypass switch.
Thought the boost would come in quicker at the track. It didn't, built up slowly. Will have to address that problem too.

·
Stu
21,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,566 (Edited)
Baseline starting point. [email protected] tires spinning at the line, and boost up to only 6psi. Had to get out then back into the throttle to get traction.

Did take the 05 out today and verify it was only 6psi boost with the manual boost controller tuned all the way down. This turbo cam is meant to be used with a trans brake so it's a little sluggish at the lower rpm's. Think the 4" in/out Magnaflow muffler with it's restriction down to 3 1/2" and the full length exhaust system is restricting the boosting up from the turbo some. Before I added the tail pipe and the magnaflow muffler. It was boosting up to 7psi with the manual boost controller turned all the way down. It spooled up quicker too. Will have to do something about that. Maybe a 5" full length diesel exhaust system? Humm... The truck was quiet driving on the freeway though. Believe adding weight to the back of the truck will help the traction problem and assist on loading up the turbo better at the same time. Looking at better traction bars as well.

Attachments

·
Stu
21,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,568
Yes, the tuning is incomplete. Just trying to get everything set to the way I want it before continuing the tuning. All in all, the present tune settings are doing ok. Adjustments are needed. I definitely appreciate your tuning Keith.

I'm still not sure about this stage 4 turbo cam on the street. It's sluggish from idle to 3000rpm on the street & track. Once the boost starts to come in it wakes up.

·
Greg
19,958 Posts
7lbs boost with a 3000 stall converter it should spin right up. Using street tires, no traction bars it should easily light them up with plenty of axle hop.. impossible to get a good baseline but any track time makes for a good day..

·
Stu
21,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,570 (Edited)
I'm looking forward to testing the 05 out with the Caltracs set correctly. Still need to get some weight at the back of the truck for low boost and street tires.

Don't you run your bed cover on the truck at the track Greg? That would be some extra weight added.

·
Greg
19,958 Posts
Don't you run your bed cover on the truck at the track Greg? That would be some extra weight added.
Redtruck is a street truck, if it was a track truck it would have some additional weight savings done to it. It is a good compromise the way it is setup.. You would be doing well to run within a second of Red's performance....

·
Stu
21,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,572 (Edited)
That would be "yes" then Greg. Just like Bill(arocketman) and Nathan(ROLLINGTHUNDER) did with their street trucks as well. With extra hp/tq, you have to add some weight to the back of these trucks to get the proper amount of traction even with slicks or drag radials. But in reality, probably will get me a bed cover of some kind if I start moving things to the bed of the truck. I prefer to run my truck at the track with my street tires. I enjoy just driving to the track, putting in the pins on the Caltracs, drop the tire pressure down some and making a few respectable runs. Then drive her on home. Simple and fun.

·
Greg
19,958 Posts
Stu, the whole idea is to enjoy your truck anyway you want. But setting up the truck to perform less then optimal provides a convenient excuse for your truck not to run as quick as other contemporary trucks. If that level of performance puts a smile on your face then you have achieved your goal. My guess is it certainly made some other's smile.... good luck!

Reactions: kcd1369

·
Slow Memeber
5,510 Posts
Well, had a few problems...

When I thought it would be a good time to go for a run down the track in the cooler weather. Everyone in Orlando thought the same thing.
Unless they still do test n tunes on a Wednesday, kind of a no brainer it’s gonna be packed. We only get like 2 weeks in a year worth a prime drag weather down in Florida. :lol::lol::rofl:

·
Stu
21,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,578 (Edited)
Heading to OSW for Funday Sunday tomorrow. Hoping for a better base line test run with only 6psi boost. The Caltracs are set correctly this time...

·
Stu
21,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,580 (Edited)
Cool. I'll be leaving my house at 6:30am sharp.
My neighbors will be happy that I installed a tale pipe muffler... :D

PS. Remember Mark, this is not a drag race to OSW... We're just cruising.:whistling::angel:

1561 - 1580 of 1610 Posts