Hemi Truck Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can drive this truck for an hour sometimes with no problems and other times it will shut off 10 times in that same hour. The guages will all go to 0 and back up over and over while driving, mostly shuts off while pulling out of a stop sign seems like trans slipping then shuts off. When it shuts off it acts like I just shut the key off... no bucking or trying to run just instantly dies. Wait about 10 seconds and the dummy lights on the dash light back up and it will start right back up. also sometimes it will do it while trying to start it... it will turn over for a split second and then act like you shut the key off. Wait a few seconds and try again and it starts right up. I already replaced the ignition switch, crank shaft sensor, transmission control, transmission input and output shaft sensor. All relays.

·
Greg
19,957 Posts
Welcome o the forum. Good to see a 03 join up. How new is the battery? But my gut tells me your IPM has some corrosion.. this would be especially a probem if the truck has seen any mudding or deep water. You can unbolt the unit and flip it over to look at it's bottom. If it is something obvious it might beable to be repaired.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome o the forum. Good to see a 03 join up. How new is the battery? But my gut tells me your IPM has some corrosion.. this would be especially a probem if the truck has seen any mudding or deep water. You can unbolt the unit and flip it over to look at it's bottom. If it is something obvious it might beable to be repaired.
Not sure how old the battery is, I bought the truck in January and have been trying to track this down since then, one thing I noticed is the computer has a different vin than the truck. I assume someone replaced it to try to fix this issue, it's off of the same truck same options from what I looked up but I dont know if that would be a major issue...

·
Greg
19,957 Posts
VIN mismatch is not a problem if it starts and has been running. Have you cleaned all the ground connections? My money is still on a corroded IPM..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't yet, I have only done the quick things because it has been cold outside... also do you know if this is supposed to have a chopped key? My key is just a metal key but I have no idea if that is right or would cause an issue. Cleaning the ground connections will be my next step

·
Greg
19,957 Posts
Is your key black or grey? The black key is non-skim...
But since your engine stays running, it is not a skim problem.. if it was by chance skim active at one time and has a immobilizer thats installed and not plugged in you NOT WANT TO PLUG IT IN!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. It is just a metal key, just a plain flat metal key no plastic on it at all. That's the only key I got with the truck when I bought it

·
Greg
19,957 Posts
That's not an original key, so your truck most likely has no SKIM. But there is a work around if someone located (taped) a SKIM key (chip) next to the immobilizer allowing a non-chip key to actually start the truck. But SKIM is not the issue here.

·
Greg
19,957 Posts
For those who are wondering about the differences between IPM and TIPM. 02-05 rams have a IPM + FCM. 06 and newer it became one unit called TIPM.. the names are interchangeable...

Reactions: CavRam

·
Gold-Member
4,173 Posts
:welcome-0005a:To HTC :thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts