Hemi Truck Club banner

turbo or supercharger?????

28K views 91 replies 14 participants last post by  Detroit build 
#1 ·
pros and cons of both! looking into both options but advice from a site or reel world knowledge are to diffrent things. i know that there are some experts around here somewhere please allow me to pick your brain to make the best choice possable.

#2 ·
Cons for both... expensive. Might want to consider nitrous.

Cons for both (being you have an '03)... tuning issues. Many here (including myself) could never get a 100% spot-on tune

Cons for both... stock tranny will not hold up after time. The addition of 150+ HP on a continuous basis is a recipe for a broke tranny.

Pros for both... the blower whine/turbo spool-up noise is awesome

#3 ·
I myself prefer chargers kits can be bolted right on most come with a way to tune the truck unless it's a 2003 model then they say there not 100% tunable few peoe have had luck getting good tunes. Both ways are expensive turbos just have to much piping and extra work but make more power at same boost level due to lack of drag on crank belt but others will chime i'n Ghost03hemi has a turbo set up he'll be by shortly and can inform you more on them either way good luck and happy tire spinning either route u choose

#4 ·
Originally posted by MrHemi:
Cons for both... expensive. Might want to consider nitrous.

Cons for both (being you have an '03)... tuning issues. Many here (including myself) could never get a 100% spot-on tune

Cons for both... stock tranny will not hold up after time. The addition of 150+ HP on a continuous basis is a recipe for a broke tranny.

Pros for both... the blower whine/turbo spool-up noise is awesome

100% agree Mark and Keith.

#5 ·
Before we get to the pros and cons. We need to know some things like:

Is the truck a daily driver?
What have you been using the truck for?
2x4 or 4x4?
Regular cab or quad cab?
What kind of mods have you done already?

Show/race truck?
Do you tow anything?
What would you like to get out of the truck as in HP/TQ, gas mileage?
What kind of mechanical skills do you have?
Do you have a garage with tools, air compressor, welder?
And the biggest question: How much money do you "really" have to spend?$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

These are very real questions that you need to look at. And then, we can go from there.
I'm sure that I missed a few questions.

Attachments

#6 ·
Daily driver 06 qc 4x4 true dual 50 flows everything else stock I tow a little nothing more than a boat or horse trailer. Money is what it is this is an ongoing process. Looking for decent power numbers and fuel milage. Not wanting a race truck just a sleeper do it all. Just getting research and planning it out. Don't want to spend money one direction and then go another.

#8 ·
Originally posted by 03hemiram2009:
Just getting research and planning it out. /QUOTE]

The cons on your 06 4x4 Ram under boost(supercharger or turbo) with street use:

1. Supercharged or turbo, you will run into throttle body shutdowns(limp mode). You will have to
change the way you drive the truck.
2. The truck will never drive as nice and smooth as it did when it was stock.
3. It's $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It's not impossible to build a strong 06 Ram. You just have to know what the weak points are, and make adjustments to the build from there.

The Pros:

1. For all around performance, gas mileage and street ability. The turbo will win every time.

2. Once your truck has been boosted with a supercharger or a turbo. You will not want to go back N/A.

Attachments

#10 ·

I updated the above info for your 06 4x4 Hemi Ram.

For 5 to 6psi boost set up(supercharged or turbo). You can use SRT4(turbo) stage 1 injectors and 2bar map. Max for these injectors is only 8psi boost. You can buy these from the dealership.

For a 5 to 6psi boost on a basically stock 5.7 Hemi. You will not have to change out the fuel pump. Anything more than that, you should change out the fuel pump for a bigger unit.

You will have to have a custom tune done by Tuner at a dyno. Most of the Tuners out there do have a 5 to 6psi boost tune already for your truck.

Very Important!!!!!! Make sure your Tuner has 5.7(supercharged or turbo) Hemi Ram truck tuning experience. I can't stress that one enough.

Any higher boost than 6psi. You need to look at Forged pistons, rods, crankshaft, open up the gaps on the piston rings(learned that one the hard way
) , better valve springs, ect. ect.

As you can see, anything higher than 6psi boost is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

#11 ·
Here's my rear wheel HP/TQ dyno sheet with 5psi boost and a very mild street tune.
That's 462HP/502TQ at the engine.

My mods:

Stock 5.7 Hemi engine and trans.
KRC 210 cam.
Doug Thorley Tri-headers (with OEM cat still in place).
SRT4 stage 1 injectors and 2bar map.
STS rear mount kit with 60mm turbo.
456 gears(one of my best mods
).
SRT10 22" wheels.
SRT10 rear tail pipe to keep the turbo quiet.

Note: With the small 60mm turbo, it will boost up quick. Waste gate valve seat was removed.

Attachments

#14 ·
Originally posted by 03hemiram2009:
What's you estimated investment in your set up?

SRT4 injectors $550.
SRT4 2bar map $40.
STS rear mount turbo kit $1930. to $4200.(depending on what kit you get)
Aftercooler polished piping kit $300.
Air to air aftercooler $100. to 300. (depending on type) Air to water is a better kit $600.
Snow stage 2 water/meth kit. $410.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!VERY IMPORTANT NOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Run only 5 to 6 psi boost with stock pistons. Make sure you get an aftercooler with water/meth. The 5.7 Hemi ring gaps are set to N/A specs. If you don't get an aftercooler and water meth, your rings will go solid (expand and touch at the ring gaps) causing the piston crown to peel up and break off. Set the water/meth on the low setting with the injection starting around 3psi boost. I learned this one the hard way.

#24 ·
To be honest David. With our trucks running 9.6:1 compression. I'm not sure if it would add any hp/tq. If you had a higher compression engine, then yes it could. That's actually a good question.
Possibly in a hot area like Texas.

Anyone running a water/meth kit on your N/A motor???????

On a 5.7 Hemi engine that is boosted. Yes. It helps in cooling down the intake charge. You know how well out trucks run in the cool air.
And then add that additive. And then you got something.
I'm presently running this set-up on my truck with a Snow stage II kit. The additive does work.

#25 ·
With our trucks running 9.6:1 compression. I'm not sure if it would add any hp/tq.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.