Hemi Truck Club banner

Starting new crate motor for first time/ ground strap location

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  vvbrad09 
#1 · (Edited)
Just got done installing new crate motor from dealer, shop took old ground strap off so not sure proper location is. Long strap with 3 connection points. Guessing bolt by fire wall to each heads on motor. Alsoq been reading best way to prim oil to motor before starting. Read a lot of different ways and wondering what you guys think is the best way to do it before I try and start it. Easiest way i saw was to unhook injectors and spark plugs and hold gas pedal down to floor and crank motor over keeping an eye on oil pressure till it builds up. Also is there anything else to check or do prior to starting it for first time.

#2 ·
I use a cheap hand pump that screws onto a standard oil bottle. It has a clear hose that comes wit it. I have a 1/4" fitting clamped on the in of the hose. Remove oil pressure sensor and screw in fitting. I use to have a pressure gage inline, but don't bother with it anymore and just pump 3 qts of oil into it and call it good.

#4 ·
What they said Plus filled oil filter .

#5 ·
Okay I'll run to the store tonight and try to come up with something to use as a pump. Im guessing the oil sensor/sender talked about is the one right behind oil filter? Part of the oil filter housing bracket. Just want to make sure pumping into right one.

#7 ·
I bought one at arbor freight and another at advance auto parts. I think they were $12.

#10 ·
Okay Awesome thank you so much. I was starting to worry the more I tried to find location online people were talking about the one under the intake manifold the 1 under the timing cover and all these other locations starting to think I was going to have to tear the motor back apart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.