Hemi Truck Club banner

Whats up in the Hood?

2K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  RaiderJay6 
#1 ·
Hey everyone... I am just looking for someone who can fill me in on the pros and cons of a steel hood and a fiberglass hood. Thanks much!

#2 ·
I bought a fiberglass SRT hood but then again it was made bad and flexed and would change it's shape with the temp. When it hot the gaps between the fenders and hood would expand and early in the morning when it was cold the two areas would touch. Granted it was from a sh*ty company TOM MOTORSPORTS(stay away)who sold me a factory second without telling me on ebay but others have had problems with heat also. If I had it to do over again I would have bought a steel hood that way it would be on my truck not being used as a bench as that's all that piece of @#$%&ing TOM MOTORSPORTS @$$hole company ripoff... sorry got side tracked.

I really like (RaiderJay6)hood and it's metal.

#4 ·
quote:Originally posted by RaiderJay6:
Actually my hood is not metal and is not fiberglass. Its made of engineered plastic like the Saturn cars body panels. Fitment is not as good as a steel hood but its not too bad.
WOW I though it was metal who makes it and do you need any special paint or primer. Is it lighter than the steel hood and any complaints other than the fitment? thanks Jay

#5 ·
Hey guys thanks for the inputs. So far it sounds like the verdict is, fiberglass may not be the way to go!

By the way bigkumadog, and RaiderJay6, you guys have some damn good lookin' trucks!

#6 ·
quote:Originally posted by WASTEDROMAD:
Hey guys thanks for the inputs. So far it sounds like the verdict is, fiberglass may not be the way to go!

By the way bigkumadog, and RaiderJay6, you guys have some damn good lookin' trucks!
Thanks WASTEDROMAD and I think it's weird that only us 4x4's are talking about this subject no 2x's.

#7 ·
yeah no kidding

#8 ·
quote:Originally posted by bigkumadog:

WOW I though it was metal who makes it and do you need any special paint or primer. Is it lighter than the steel hood and any complaints other than the fitment? thanks Jay
Its made by www.ramairhood.com I bought it prepainted butthe paint sucked and had to have it re-painted. It weights around 45 lbs. Only complaint is the paint that came on it. The refund you the cost of their painter but to get it painted costs more.

Thanks for the compliment wastedromad!

G
#9 ·
WASTEDROMAD..If you go with something other than a steel hood you should replace your hood struts too. Several guys have had their fiberglass hoods break at the struts after a year or two, because the struts are to strong for the fiberglass etc.

#10 ·
Hey RANCHER thanks for the heads up on the hood struts; although, I was checking out that site RaiderJay posted about, and I am thinking about going with the same hood he has on his truck.
He was saying the hood is made of some kind of engineered plastic. I am thinking I will probably still need to replace the struts. What do you think? How about you RaiderJay?
Also, did you get the Ram Air Box with the hood?

G
#11 ·
I would definitely check about the hoods needs for struts. Seems like about two years and they start breaking. Not enough backbone in the strut area. Be sure to ask, and pay attention to what they say. I don't think some of them have any idea about the stresses involved at the lift/hinge points.
I don't' know what Psi. rating they're going to recommend. Depends on which hood you get, but I would sure check before I buy and install one. Good luck!

#12 ·
RANCHER,
Will do. Thanks for the help!

#13 ·
quote:Originally posted by WASTEDROMAD:
I am thinking I will probably still need to replace the struts. What do you think? How about you RaiderJay?
Also, did you get the Ram Air Box with the hood?
Mine came with replacement struts for the hood for that exact reason. Only problem is they are shorter and didnt want to hold the hood up. So I kept the stock ones and have not had any problems of yet. I also did get the air box and not sure if it really works or not since you cant dyno it. I think it looks awesome under the hood too.

#15 ·
quote:Originally posted by "RANCHER":
Looks good Jay!
I agree looks great! question whats the box made out of and is there room 6"-9" in front of the throttle body to place a nitrous nozzle?

#16 ·
quote:Originally posted by bigkumadog:
quote:Originally posted by "RANCHER":
Looks good Jay!
I agree looks great! question whats the box made out of and is there room 6"-9" in front of the throttle body to place a nitrous nozzle?
Thanks! Its made of thick plastic. This one was pretty crapily made. Where the top and bottom come together was all rough. I used a dremmel to smooth it all out and then painted it a metallic black. There is room in that range but dont know anything about nitrous fittings. Here is another picture. The back part is a hard rubber hose and then you can see where the AIT sensor is too.

#17 ·
I stuck with the steel hood and don't need any struts
Once it's up off the pins, it opens with one hand

#18 ·
Hey guys, thanks again for all your inputs. I think I have made up my mind to go with the same Ram Air Hood as RaiderJay to include the Air Box!
- Hey RaiderJay, I agree it sure looks good under the hood! Does anyone here know if the Air Box does actually work by any chance?
- Phill, I love the hood and many of your modifications. Great job!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.