Any Carpenters out there? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > State Chapters of HTC.com > Arizona Chapter

Old 07-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #1

Any Carpenters out there?

My wife and kid are going to be going out of town in September, and while they are out I want to suprise her by ripping out the carpet and install some wood/laminant floors. I have been looking at all the different brands from lowes and homedepot and read all the reviews and they all seem like a 50/50 mix of either it all went in super easy and smooth or they were the worst product ever used.

So anyone have any first hand expirience with them? and better yt anyone willing to give a hand one of the days they are gone?

Truckin151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2011, 05:47 PM   #2

I redid my entire house with Bruce wood flooring, I believe we got it from Lowes. It is simple to install, just labor intensive. A lot of up and down to cut and then install when you get into smaller areas. Other than that, piece of cake.
Are you planning on removing and replacing your baseboard? Makes it a lot easier if you do.
azhemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:54 PM   #3

Yeah I need to do the base boards at the same time
Truckin151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2011, 11:17 AM   #4

We used a cheap no-name from Lowes in the master bedroom and it turned out real nice. Went with the best underlayment I could find, $110.00 for a 12 x 16 room, but I don't regret it. I heard it will sound hollow if you use the cheap stuff.

There's a bit of a trick to getting it to snap together, once you get the hang of that it's pretty easy. I also had no baseboard trim and that made it much easier. It's a little crabby if both ends are under something!
NewBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
"Bob"

Garage

Ryan
motorscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:13 PM   #6
PCP

i did the hard wood in the house right when we moved in. you can go with the floating floor with the under lay, or use the glue. i used the glue, looks and feels great.
i just did the laminant floors in mom's trailer a few weeks ago. we did use a under lay, looks good but you can feel it's a floating floor. if i had to do it again, although the cost is way more for the hard wood, i'd still do the hard wood in the house. looks better, resale i would think is better, goes down about the same. the only thing that maybe better with the laminant is that it wont show scratches like the hard wood will. i just rub a little shoe polish in the scratch and it looks good.
PCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:19 AM   #7

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PCP:
i did the hard wood in the house right when we moved in. you can go with the floating floor with the under lay, or use the glue. i used the glue, looks and feels great.
i just did the laminant floors in mom's trailer a few weeks ago. we did use a under lay, looks good but you can feel it's a floating floor. if i had to do it again, although the cost is way more for the hard wood, i'd still do the hard wood in the house. looks better, resale i would think is better, goes down about the same. the only thing that maybe better with the laminant is that it wont show scratches like the hard wood will. i just rub a little shoe polish in the scratch and it looks good.
you dont ever do anything but get in the way at mike's on the weekends. you should go help ryan out at least stop by and get him going on the flooring..............espically since you seem like the expert here.
*03ramit1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:40 AM   #8
PCP

lol, i like being in the way, and no expert here!
PCP is offline   Reply With Quote