Shiny black to flat black...how? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > General Maintenance | Owner Info > Interior and Exterior Detailing

Old 07-07-2008, 01:09 PM   #1

Shiny black to flat black...how?

For all you paint guru's, how do I get my truck from the original glossy black paint to a flat black finish? Will I have to completely repaint or just strip the clear and re-clear with satin? I know nothing about paint and body so if someone could explain how to get a flat finish from a gloss finish I would greatly appreciate it.

Also...I know people on here have painted thier chrome grills, would love for someone to explain how that's done. Thank's in advance fellas!

HEMI-FLASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2008, 07:37 AM   #2

I believe you have to strip the clear, then you'd have mix in a matting agent w/ a new clear coat and then spray. The matting agent is what gives you the flat finish, but you can get the flat finish back to a shiny finish without having to reshoot anything. You just have to polish or buff out the flat.
osuHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:58 AM   #3

You don't need to strip the clear. Just wet sand the whole truck with 800 grit. Just don't sand through the existing clear. Then reclear it with a flat clear.
xtrmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2008, 10:21 AM   #4

Wow, are you thinking of doing the whole truck that way?
It is possible to sand lightly then shoot a clear with flattening agent mixed in.

you could also just sand your existing clear with a very fine Abralon sandpaper with a 2000 and 4000 grit and get an almost satin finish also. This procedure should be practiced first. - The worse could be to re-clear it anyway. you never polish that satin finish when it gets done. just use dawn detergent to keep it clean.
Solar_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:15 PM   #5

I want to have the whole truck flat black, no emblems, no chrome, blacked out head and tail lights, black wheels, etc. I've seen a few vehicles done like this and really like the way it looks, real mean looking. Sounds like I need to just take it to a body shop and shell out the $$ to have the clear sanded and re-shot.
HEMI-FLASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:14 AM   #6

Good Luck on the body shop search... make sure you see a vehicle that they already had done for an owner
Solar_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:39 AM   #7

zwa21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:00 AM   #8

Just dropped my truck off at my paint shop for the satin black treatment.....will be done in two weeks.

I have agonized over which route to take...2 stage with flattened clear or single stage satin....I have decided to try Hot Hues Hot Rod Black which is a satin black single stage because I have only seen good things about it online.

Also, just installed a set of Glassworks Unlimited fenders and bedsides and they need some bodywork, so I can't take the "spray a flat clear over the black" approach.

Here are a few pics of it b4 going to the shop...will post after photos when I get it back....
CrushRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:02 AM   #9

anotherpic This message has been edited. Last edited by: MrHemi, document.write(''+ myTimeZone('Sun, 17 Aug 2008 04:33:13 GMT-0700', '17 August 2008 07:33 AM')+''); 17 August 2008 07:33 AM
Old 08-17-2008, 12:02 AM   #10

one more This message has been edited. Last edited by: MrHemi, document.write(''+ myTimeZone('Sun, 17 Aug 2008 04:33:50 GMT-0700', '17 August 2008 07:33 AM')+''); 17 August 2008 07:33 AM