Replacing leather seat cover - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > General Maintenance | Owner Info > Interior and Exterior Detailing

Old 06-11-2008, 11:55 AM   #1

Replacing leather seat cover

I have a '05 Laramie w/ 30K miles built on the day Dodge was apparently using chipmunk hides to make seat covers. Drivers seat bolster began to show wear early. A year ago I took the truck to a local dealer and got the usual bitter beer face look that this dealer has perfected. I caved in and bought a OEM replacement cover from a dealer on the west coast. Bottom line: does the DIY approach justify the money saved or should I take the vehicle to an upholstery shop to install the new cover? What's the replacement procedure? I came away almost $300 light so far, so
I'm a little jumpy when I feel a hand on my wallet. This former lurker to this site would appreciate any advice.

peapicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2008, 04:02 PM   #2

Depends how much free time you have. If a place says $50 (most likely $125-$150) I would go for it, otherwise I'd say do it yourself. I have a 06 with buckets and a floor mounted center console so my seats are a little different from yours. Before I did mine I asked around to find out if it was something I wanted to tackle. I talked to a couple dealership guys who had done them before. They said the Ram seats were pretty easy except recovering the center jump seat section can be a challenge. Looking back, the hardest part was figuring out how to get the center console loose, getting the headrest mounts to pop out and remembering how the bottom covers went back on. Nothing that was really a big deal.

Take out the 4 bolts holding each front seat in, lean the whole row back (be careful that the seatback dosen't hit something and rip)and unplug the harness, unbolt the driver's seat from the jump seat and take the driver's seat out. I'm not familiar with how your covers attach to the frames, maybe someone can chime in. Take pictures of how the covers attach before you start taking the covers off in case you forget. If the replacement covers have plastic U shaped pieces along the sides of the bottom cover, they are pretty simple. Just make sure you have the seat back cover completely on/installed and it's straight before you cut the holes for the headrest mounts.
BILL3491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:49 PM   #3
&quotRANCHER&quot

I have a write up on changing seat covers if it will help you. Send me your email address in a PM and I'll send it to you to read and make your decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2008, 08:45 PM   #4

Thanks for your help. I'm replacing only the DS bottom cover and it does have the plastic clips, so maybe it's no big deal. I live out in the sticks and the inconvenience of leaving it at the shop all day w/o other wheels is my biggest problem.
peapicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:25 AM   #5

Piece of cake. If you are only replacing the bottom it will most likely take you longer to get the seat out (great time to vacum under the seats and pick up all that spare change) than to replace the cover. Let us know how it turns out.
BILL3491 is offline   Reply With Quote